AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I recently purchased speakers from Aperion Audio but stopped just shy of buying their 12D II ($900). I plan to use my system for HT with very little music listing going on.

I wanted to know if spending the money on the Aperion sub would be money well spent or should I go with something different (in same price range)?

My room is one of those super rooms including a living room, dining room, and kitchen. All together I think the room is easily 6000 cubic feet or more. I also did know if I should get two smaller subs in place of a bigger sub. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really like the Hsu VTF15h subs but couldn't get two right now. I might have to live with one for the time being and add a second later on. I kind of wonder if I would even notice a difference with just one sub. I know audio people would but maybe I'm not so picky. I just want to feel it in the chest when I'm watching movies.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I too have all Aperion speakers (which I do love) including one of their older 8" subs. I also have a "super" sized room with over 6000 cubic feet. I just ordered an Epik Empire sub but they are on back order. The cost for their dual 15" with shipping is some like $923 versus the Aperion 12" sub for $900. I don't think the Empire will be as good looking as the Aperion but I've heard really good things about them.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL GUER0 /forum/post/20865614

I really like the Hsu VTF15h subs but couldn't get two right now. I might have to live with one for the time being and add a second later on. I kind of wonder if I would even notice a difference with just one sub. I know audio people would but maybe I'm not so picky. I just want to feel it in the chest when I'm watching movies.

One HSU VTF-15H placed within 4 feet of your listening position may give you excellent results.

The Outlaw LFM-1 EX was designed by Dr. HSU and is well regarded. Outlaw puts them on sale for $550 delivered several times per year.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfmEX.html

A pair should get the job done.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really appreciate all of the feedback. I have taken the time to look at all of the suggestions and there have been some good ones. I really wish many of the subs would come in the piano black finish but most don't. Satin black will get me close. I think in the next day I might try an put a photo of my living room and space to give some visual background to my situation.

·
Registered
245 Posts
These just arrived

http://emotiva.com/xref_sub12.shtm

Two 12s would be lovely but a tad higher than your stated price.

2 tens is exactly your price.

If it were me i might just save a wee bit more and go for the 12s

(depending of course on their performance, they are spanking new so it might be a while before anyone tests them)

·
Registered
8,215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkzy56 /forum/post/20866477

These just arrived

http://emotiva.com/xref_sub12.shtm

Two 12s would be lovely but a tad higher than your stated price.

2 tens is exactly your price.

If it were me i might just save a wee bit more and go for the 12s

(depending of course on their performance, they are spanking new so it might be a while before anyone tests them)

I see we have "new" specs for subs ...

Quote:
Typical In‐Room Frequency Response: 20Hz‐200Hz

Typical In‐Room Output: 115‐118dB SPL

In a 15.5" cube sealed box with a 12" driver and 600 watt amp. Curious as to what the "typical" room size is.

OP, in 6000 cubic feet for HT at say -5 to -10 db to reference, you're going to need a lot of woofer. Get two of the biggest subs you can afford and fit in your room.

Right now I'd look heavily at 2 of the VTF2-MK3s from HSU that they are blowing out at $509 each (assuming your budget is $1k ish). Not sure there is much else that can get you that kind of performance for close for $1k outside of building your own subs, or going the used route.

·
Registered
925 Posts
i got the hsu and i think it sounds awesome!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was just checking out the Rythmik subs and noticed that their 15 inch subs come in a few offerings. Ported vs not ported. The one I like the best looks to be a down firing ( http://rythmikaudio.com/D15SE.html ) sub. I actually think all of the 15 inch subs would be stuff I would consider but could only afford one. Does it really matter if a sub is down firing vs a sub that fires in one direction to the side?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL GUER0
Hi all. I recently purchased speakers from Aperion Audio but stopped just shy of buying their 12D II ($900). I plan to use my system for HT with very little music listing going on.

I wanted to know if spending the money on the Aperion sub would be money well spent or should I go with something different (in same price range)?

My room is one of those super rooms including a living room, dining room, and kitchen. All together I think the room is easily 6000 cubic feet or more. I also did know if I should get two smaller subs in place of a bigger sub. Any help would be appreciated.
I have an Aperion setup as well (two Verus Forte towers, Verus satellites, and a Verus Grand Center). I ultimately went with a Hsu VTF-15H and couldn't be happier. It is about 6-7 feet from my listening position and when I play a deep bass track or movie scene, it hits me in the gut. I live in Portland and had the opportunity to listen to the various Aperion subs. They aren't bad per se but for the price, you can do much better going with a company that specializes in subs.

BTW, my room is 25.5 x 17.5 x 8. Not nearly as much cubic footage as yours. But if your room is sealed, I think the VTF-15H will treat you right. It is truly overkill in my room (but that's what I live for).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just pulled the trigger on the HSU VTF 15H can't wait. It came down to the wife saying "of the subs your looking at that's the least expensive". I'm happy. A Rythmic would have been nice in piano black but "It is what it is".

·
Registered
73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL GUER0 /forum/post/20873646

Just pulled the trigger on the HSU VTF 15H can't wait. It came down to the wife saying "of the subs your looking at that's the least expensive". I'm happy. A Rythmic would have been nice in piano black but "It is what it is".

I'm sure you'll be pleased. About the only downside to the Hsu is that you really need to have a good idea where the sub is going to go when you unpack it. Doing a sub crawl to find optimum placement can be difficult. And moving it around the room idly while you try to listen for optimum response is not something you'll want to do much of either.

Have fun!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL GUER0

Looks like your setup is coming together nicely, congrats on the new sub. It is a bit of a beast..but a beast that I am sure will give you the sound you are seeking..enjoy

·
Registered
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by queequeg99
I'm sure you'll be pleased. About the only downside to the Hsu is that you really need to have a good idea where the sub is going to go when you unpack it. Doing a sub crawl to find optimum placement can be difficult. And moving it around the room idly while you try to listen for optimum response is not something you'll want to do much of either.

Have fun!
Man, I am not a big guy but it IS doable. Or get a neighbor help you put it in the listening position.

Otherwise contact HSU with your diagram and Dr Hsu will suggest best placements.

OP - congrats! It should be a huge upgrade. Let us know.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've read about moving the sub around the room for optimum placement and I might do a little of this. I'm pretty sure I only have a few options given the room layout. It will probably go against a 28 ft wall that has a bunch of windows. I've heard that windows are not ideal but I don't have much of a choice. I could go front corner but again there will be windows on both walls near the corner.

I will definitely update when things are all set in place. I know it's going to be about 3+ weeks as we are waiting for the av cabinet to be made. In that time I'm going to buy one of the Sharp 70 inch TV's to mount above the cabinet. There is going to be some painful waiting in my house, but you know what they say "good things come............"

Thanks for all the help and advice this forum has been a great experience for me and I hope to continue contributing in the future.

I think I'm most looking forward to re-watching Band of Brothers and then The Pacific (first time) with the new system. Then it's on to Marvel and DC movies. I know I'm a comic book to movie nerd. I love me some xmen, ironman, thor, captain america, batman, and the list goes on.

O-ya, can't forget Kung Fu Panda and it's sequel.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I thought I'd follow up. The HSU 15H is in the house and It's big. So far It's everything I wanted in a sub, explosions go BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Being a noob with subs I still have no idea how to get the most out of it, or even for that matter if it sounds like it should. Happy times!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.