AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Although I'm not sure how many people will actually buy this unit (I'm sure there will), but I'm glad it came out for the same reason. Hoping it will make everyone else out there compete with them.

I remember when they first released their progressive scan dvd player. While the rest of the major brand names were still in the $1,000 mark, they were selling theirs for $399. It will only take time for the others to realize that although there are a few people out there like us that look for quality products, the mass market will only see the $399 price and buy a "progressive scan" dvd.

Hope I didn't offend any Apex owners, I own three of the AD600's myself, it was the first to play mp3's, vcd's, and dvd's in one.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Apex definately has there place in the market. They'll trade in a little quality to add cool features and drop the price big time. I've had my share of Apex products through the years (as I recall they had the first DVD player in the $99 range too, which came in handy for some experimenting). Not to mention they're uncanny knack for leaving in all the easter eggs to remove macrovision and region coding. :)

While I probably wouldn't consider an Apex plasma just yet, I'd be interested in seeing how it compares. My concern would be how good (if any) of a scaler it has.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Kipp: It's almost certainly a rebadge. That panel is ubiquitous and there are at least a few people doing electronics for it.

Apex is more of a marketer, than a genuine R&D outfit.

Mark

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
Only Fujitsu/Hitachi manufacturers 42" ALIS 1024x1024 plasmas correct? So Apex and other similar 42" ALIS panels must be rebadged Hitachi/Fujitsus.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Not much, if their other stuff is any indication. But if it's a rebadge it will be just fine, o gratuitous one!

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Well, it's definitely their glass. But really I don't know whose electronics it would be. A number of people are now re-badging these ALiS plasmas and they are certainly not using Fujitsu's electronics to do it -- at least not the current ones. But I'm not really sure who is selling scaling/processing engines for the ALiS plasmas.

Mark

·
Registered
533 Posts
Why waste 4k on a APEX ALIS glass when you can get the far superior Hitachi CMP4201U and CMP4202U for the same price?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.