AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I imagine some here have read about this. I believe it is mentioned in the latest Perfect Vision: APEX, the company that defined low budget DVD players after getting free press with their Loophole Menu enabled AD-600A, has decided to enter the High Definition market with a variety of very low cost Rear Projection and Tube sets in both 4:3 and 16X9 styles, with two 480p 4:3 RP sets at the very bottom end (clearly meant for DVD lovers).

Now, I am no fan of Apex. Their DVD players are notorious for their unreliability, overheating, crashing, etc. etc. But they have improved since their debut and they now own the low cost DVD player market.

Personaly, I think it is great that they are going to enter into the HD monitor market, as their pricing model will force Hitachi, Samsung, Phillips, Zenith, Panasonic, RCA and Sharp to go lower. When Circuit City and Best Buy have the Apex models next to the competition, for 30% to 40% less, consumers are going to buy the Apex. It's that simple.

Sony and Pioneer will likely shrug their shoulders, as they consider themselves to be top shelf. With Pioneer, I agree. With Sony, having dealt with their overpriced, over flawed Wega line, I must say that they may have to adjust their pricing a bit.

What do you folks think?

UPDATE Here are specific models and prices for the new APEX HD sets:

Direct View
  • 27 inch 4:3 Flat HD ready PF27HD02 - $799
  • 30 inch 16X9 PF3050W - $1500
  • 34 inch 16X9 PF3450W - $1800

16X9 HD RPTV models
  • 55 inch GB55HD09W - $1795
  • 65 inch GB65HD09W - $2299

4:3 HD RPTV
  • 43 inch GB43HD09 - $1300
  • 51 inch GB51HD09 - $1500

There are also two 480p RP models. A 43 incher for $1100 and a 51 incher for $1300.

ADVENT is also releasing some low priced HDTV's and these may be even more impressive than Apex's direct views. They include built in Faroudja/Sage line doublers, with DCDi circuitry!

The 30" 16X9 model is $1299. The 34 inch 16X9 is $1699. The 32 inch 4:3 model is $1299.

With prices like that, a lot of people will be tempted to jump into the HD market and that is just awesome. Hell, I will probably buy one of the direct view sets for my bedroom! I'll just have to decide which one.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great link. No mention of the 16X9 HD tubes listed in PV...???

If they want to save money, then leave out Scan Velocity Modulation, for God's sakes. It's a complete waste of $.

The HDTV RP sets do 720p!

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Hey, my Sony XBR400 has been flawless for nearly two years now :).

As far as Apex goes, this is just further evidence that HDTV is finally at the turning point. It's just the next step in the cycle. It won't be too much longer before first time HDTV buyers will no longer be called early adopters.

ron

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
It's good someone has decided to go after the sub 32" market. I don't have the numbers, but I'd bet that this category makes up the majority of TV purchases. Having such products will increase HDTV marketshare, which is vital to convincing cable companies, studios, and TV stations to go HDTV.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens
If Apex can deliver a 34" 16X9 HD set with integrated HD Tuner for UNDER 2K (try $1800 retail) that isn't a hunk of junk, well, it will be hard to pass up. :eek:
I thought Daewoo does a 34" or 30" with tuner for under $1500?

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Never saw one. If they have one, they need to get it in stores.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I updated the topic with models and pricing and am reprinting it here as well, in case you are too lazy to scroll up to the top. :)

APEX Direct View
  • 27 inch 4:3 Flat HD ready PF27HD02 - $799
  • 30 inch 16X9 PF3050W - $1500
  • 34 inch 16X9 PF3450W - $1800

APEX 16X9 HD RPTV models
  • 55 inch GB55HD09W - $1795
  • 65 inch GB65HD09W - $2299

APEX 4:3 HD RPTV
  • 43 inch GB43HD09 - $1300
  • 51 inch GB51HD09 - $1500

There are also two 480p RP models. A 43 incher for $1100 and a 51 incher for $1300.

ADVENT is also releasing some low priced HDTV's and these may be even more impressive than Apex's direct views. They include built in Faroudja/Sage line doublers, with DCDi circuitry!

The 30" 16X9 model is $1299. The 34 inch 16X9 is $1699. The 32 inch 4:3 model is $1299.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
For those who would like a 34" 16:9 with 1080i native display monitor with two built-in NTSC tuners (but no ATSC tuner) but are squeamish about APEX: Costco, the big-box merchandise discounter, is stocking a Samsung for $1399 at the Lantana, Florida store.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Those Apex prices do not impress me as being at all revolutionary. I can buy much-better-branded products for the same dough from discounters. Apex is not likely to be discounted much from those prices.

Mark

·
Registered
492 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by David McRoy
For those who would like a 34" 16:9 with 1080i native display monitor with two built-in NTSC tuners (but no ATSC tuner) but are squeamish about APEX: Costco, the big-box merchandise discounter, is stocking a Samsung for $1399 at the Lantana, Florida store.
I was just in the Costco in King of Prussia , PA and saw the Samsung there for $1400. IT was a 30 inch and not a 34 inch though.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Apex and Advent sets will be much less than anything they are up against in retail stores. Many people do not want to buy a TV from an online retailer. Make that 99% of the people out there. They want to go in a store, see it, and be able to return it with ease if there is a problem.

This can only be a good thing and may force the other companies to lower prices. And I am sure the Apex line will be discounted online.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I suppose it might help the display end of things, although the smaller sets (direct views) are still woefully overpriced for the masses (1500 for an entry level 16x9?!?). I'm, of course, assuming that these are HD-ready, without integrated tuners.

I find it interesting that my $99, 15" KDS monitor which is 4 years old can sync to both 1080i and 720p! It never missed a beat. As for it being small, not every TV in the house will be a living room behemouth. If I put anything bigger than a 25 in my bedroom, it's gonna look awfully funny on the tv stand. The electronics, I deduce, are quite inexpensive and not the hurdle.

Of course, what is really necessary is for Apex to put out a converter box and/or intergrated sets. That's where the major pain is. Why spend an extra couple hundred for a new set, just to find out that you're going to have to fork over another $600-800 for a tuner? Let Apex drop a $150 (or less!) ATSC tuner with mutiple outputs in my lap - that'll make me happy! Of course, I'll expect a hidden menu allowing me to turn off macrovision and pass full-resolution HD over the RGB outputs ;-)

Finally, I wouldn't jump so much about the DCDi. It's actually quite medocre. I have a Kenwood changer with DCDi. SW-TPM looks far better (on a 119" screen/HD projector) with the DCDi off. I have yet to really feel I've gotten any value from the de-interlacing. Perhaps the need to scale up from 480i to 1080i would allow it to offer some benefit (it only does the 480i->480p deinterlacing on my unit). As it is, and based on my experience, I put Faroudja in the same class as Bose for price/performance ratio - always money that's better kept in my pocket.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Those are all retail prices.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
I think the Advent 34" offering is what I'm excited about.

I stated a while back that the top of the line Sony 16:9 sets are MUCH cheaper in Japan ($1700 over there versus $3800 here). Unlike the 4:3 sets which are about the same price in the US as Japan.

It was only time before the competition came out. The 34" XBR2 could easilly be priced less and will once the competition arrives.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
249 Posts
My Sony 4:3 34" sony trinitron cost me ~$999 before wega's came out.

If you live in an apartment having a 64" big screen 5' from the sofa is too much. Plus they take up alot of space!

I worked in electronics for a few years and people would always come in and buy the zenith 27" for $129 it was the loss leader that you would try and talk people out of. But they sold well and fast and sometimes were returned just as fast.

If Apex can Deliver a Flat screen HDTV that you can buy at walmart for ~$799 I think people will buy it. Once people have the technology then us with bigger TV's will get the content that we crave.

Apex may be a crappy product but it looks nice and thats what sells, They have a nice package and a good retail retail partner!

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
CRT's.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.