AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This dvd is coming out next week and dvdmg.com gave it a very solid review. I'm curious if anybody knows if it will be possible to view the film without the additional Redux footage on the dvd. I keep hearing that the additional footage is all pretty unnecessary. Since I have never even seen the original, I was considering perhaps purchasing the original instead of the Redux if this new dvd does not have the above option.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Umm...I've seen the "theatrical" version of this 'Nam era epic so many times that I'm really looking forward to see Coppola's final version: Apocalypse Now Redux.

In your case and since you've never seen the original cut...I say go ahead and get the Redux version and forget about film critics. Once you see Apocalypse Now you're going to either love the movie or hate it, regardless of the version...although I get the feeling you'll wind up liking the heck out of it... :D

-THTS

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I'm fairly certain that the new disc only has the new longer version. I've seen both and I prefer the original cut of the film. The Redux version is neat to see, but it just makes an already long film way too long. It destroys the pacing of the film completely. I was originally going to buy the disc sight unseen, but after seeing the extended cut at a local theater I changed my mind.

I would recommend that you see the original theatrical version.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Don't waste you money on the old one, the quality sucks big time. The new one is totally remastered, video and audio.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I agree and disagree with joekun. The new cut of the film works magnificently except for one scene (which comprises of approximately 25 minutes of the new footage)- without giving any plot points away- it involves Sheen interacting with some french people who are living in Vietnam. This scene does as joekun states- destroy the pacing- it almost brings the film to a halt. At this point in the film- we really need to be moving towards the arrival at the Kurtz compound and this scene really creates a huge stopping point in the flow of the film.

Other than that- i really enjoyed redux.

PS- there is no possible way to view the redux version without the new footage. If you dont want to see the new version- just buy the original release.

Regardless- i will be picking this disc up on Tuesday.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I think the vast majority of the scenes interrupt the flow of the film. The playboy bunny scene (the new one) is totally unnecessary. The only thing I really would keep is the scene where Sheen steals the surfboard and the scene following it.

I would recommend the new cut to fans because, as I said, it's neat to see, but for someone who has never seen the film the original cut is the way to go. I haven't seen the quality on the old disc, but I couldn't see myself watching the new cut enough to get my money's worth.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think the dvd of the older version looks beautiful.

Rented it a few months before I saw Redux.

I like Redux better.

Partly because I felt it explained itself better.

Specifically the Brando stuff seemed to make

sense (to me anyway).

The long scene referenced above is somewhat

superfluous... but if Coppalla wanted it - I'm

not arguing with him... I think it helps to realize

that its a dream sequence... the fog at the

beginning and the end are the overt clue - the

fact that it doesnt make sense seems to be

the less obvious clue...

There is one major edit - the water ski-ing

sequence is moved from a spot that was fairly

on in the movie - to a spot that is more in the

middle - more towards the end....

For what its worth - there are obvious clues

in the new version that is where the sequence

was SUPPOSED to be...

The edits in the new version aren't minor.

Coppolla claims to have gone back to the dailies

and edited the thing from scratch... not just

put back some things back that he cut out...

I prefer the new version - but I dont see why

someone who loves the movie would be

embarrassed to own both versions...

But if you like the new version - you probably

wont go back to the old version much...

·
Registered
588 Posts
When the new disc gets here maybe we could post the exact chapters and times that were added (more or less). Then, a person like pham or joekun can get the new higher quality transfer, but can skip the portions of the movie that were added. Just a thought...

Maybe you could even program a remote for the HTPC to do the skipping automagically (although it would look a little silly while it was doing the skipping). It would be cool if a program could "black out" the screen while it was doing the fast forwards. Oh, I'm rambling again... -Pat

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the comments. I am still a bit undecided but probably leaning towards picking up the Redux version. The thing I always wonder about these recut versions is whether the director truly things the new version is better than the old, or if it is just a ploy to make more money.

BTW, Target is advertising that they will be selling the dvd for $17.99, which is quite a bit cheaper than any other price I've seen.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Rent both. Watch the first one and then the REDUX. Decide for yourself which one you want to own, if either. perhaps it will be one of the few DVD's you'll own both versions of, or maybe you won't want it at all. Its a movie worth owning, I think. Check it out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.