Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shah8
You're late to the party, man. Nothing will match the peerless Showtime version that showed in 2002...
Yes, I remember it very well. Superb PQ. And I have it on DVHS. I'll compare it to HDNet's presentation.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I don't get Showtime so I have no basis to compare. However, I've got my fingers crossed that HDNet shows the film in it's OAR. The dvd is cropped. I've read it was done on purpose "for artistic reasons". The same for Coppola's "Tucker".

All I want is to see the movie I saw in 1979, not about 80% of it.

·
Registered
28,047 Posts
HDNet always gives us the OAR version, as does Showtime. That's why they're the #1 networks for HD movie lovers. (Well, HDNet does need to do something about whatever the heck it is in the chain that's currently softening their movies, but no doubt they will. They're fans, too.)

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OAR for Apocalypse is now 2.20:1, this is the way it will be shown on HDNet(previews on there confirmed this), same as DVD, because this is how the did the new Redux transfer

-Gary

·
Registered
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy
HDNet always gives us the OAR version, as does Showtime. That's why they're the #1 networks for HD movie lovers.
I suspect HDNet will show the standard 2:1 aspect ratio version decreed for all video versions by the film's cinematographer, Vittorio Storaro.

(He's a proponent of something he calls Univisium:

http://www.cameraguild.com/interview...raro_univi.htm )

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell
OAR for Apocalypse is now 2.20:1, this is the way it will be shown on HDNet(previews on there confirmed this), same as DVD, because this is how the did the new Redux transfer

-Gary

The dvd is cropped, go to dvdfile.com and check the review of 11/20/01. OAR is 2.35:1 and lets hope thats what HDNet gives us.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence
Regardless of whether OAR is 2.35 ( link ) or 2.20 or 2:1...

It's on now. Cropped to 16:9. :(

Otherwise PQ looks good.
I definitely have black bars, and Charlie don't surf. :)

I measured, it looks to be 2:1.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence
Regardless of whether OAR is 2.35 ( link ) or 2.20 or 2:1...

It's on now. Cropped to 16:9. :(

Otherwise PQ looks good.
Sucks, I just started watching it, but I won't bother. The PQ might look good, but the cropping to 1.78:1 is just flat out awful.

edit: Actually on second note it looks closer to 1.85:1, doesn't seem to be 2:1.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Seems the black bars are bigger than HDNets 1.85:1 presentations...

If it will fit on my DVR, I'm going to record it, it looks excellent.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
It's actually 1.9:1. The crop was done by the films cinematographer, who has gone wacko the last ten years, insisting all his 2.35:1 films be cropped. TUCKER was shown 2.35:1 for a while, then he found out and insisted they show his cropped transfer.

The cropping on TUCKER is far worse than the cropping on APOC NOW.

·
Registered
671 Posts
This is a double whammy of a disappointment. Not only is it not being shown in the original, pre-re-edit aspect ratio, but it's the "Redux" version, which I find inferior to the original film. That long sequence at the French plantation kills the pacing of this movie.

·
Premium Member
16,741 Posts
 http://www.cameraguild.com/interview...raro_univi.htm
Quote:
Considering High Definition and 65mm, I think it would therefore be sensible to propose a new standard for both.A new aspect ratio that will fit future, present, and past compositional needs. Currently 65mm is set at an aspect ratio of 1: 2,21 and High Definition at about 1:1,79, so, if we remove the 0,21 from the 65mm, and if we add the same number on top of High Definition TV, we will have a perfect balance between the two: that is, 1:2.
Interesting... splitting the difference. I guess it's better than a 16:9 crop. It looks good, but I'd rather have 2.35

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
according to everything I found online, Coppolla was just as much involved with the new aspect ratio as anyone else and it is what he preferred and wants shown now

I have never seen the original 2.35:1, but the Redux version is much much better to me

-Gary

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.