1 - 20 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think that the reviewer missed the whole point of the film and the time period in the Mayan civilization that it took place. I hate critics that review the person who made the film rather then the film itself. Pointless.

·
Registered
876 Posts
He injected his personal bias against Mel Gibson into the review. If you hate the guy so much, do the readers a favor and don't review the movie.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I lost all respect for reviewers. There was a time when reviewers actually review a movie or a game and you could actually take there word on it. i have a major problem with how these reviewers review HI def movies(Blu-ray and HDDVD)

They should only include 3 catogories

Picture

Sound

and Extras

keep the personal opinions that I can't use some sort of technological device to measure out of it.

I swear everyone is bought and paid these days. I read reviews on certain movies, went out and bought them and they were crap although the reviewer swear it was the best thing since slice bread. while other like Apocalypto I actually sat down and watch twice although it's subtitle and enjoy it

Reviewers are full of crap

·
Registered
636 Posts
many would disagree with the story itself

I liked it, kinda expecting a sequel now

·
Registered
701 Posts
That review is ********, clearly someone is just miffed at Gibson for his offensive comments. the movie doesn't strive to be 'the passion 2', if anything, it's more akin to Braveheart. Just a great action/thriller with a historical context...it's not trying to be anything more than that IMO. If you can't find anything to like about the last hour of this movie, you just don't like movies.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts

Quote:
Then Gibson got into some PR trouble. His father began making outrageous statements about the Holocaust that put Gibson in a bad light. Even worse, he was pulled over for driving drunk and in an intoxicated state made several offensive statements that don't bear repeating. In the wake of this, Gibson made and released Apocalypto. Clearly intended as a companion piece to The Passion of the Christ, Apocalypto took everything that made that last movie such a success and perverted it, almost as if Gibson's bad press had seeped into the film itself.

What the &^ll is he talking about? This is a snippet of one of the worst reviews I've ever read.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Wow, I agree, this review almost had nothing to do with the movie. Aren't reviewers suppossed to not be biased.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Come on guys, not everyone has to like this movie. I hated it. It was boring, historically incorrect, and just generally bad to me. Everyone has different taste.

I do agree with some of you, review the movie not the director. Geeze, what do you do when you dislike both

·
Registered
935 Posts
But you never read a review of Chinatown that mentions Roman Polanksi is a pedophile. No critic discounted Match Point because of Woody Allen's past. And Gibson's drunken rant PALES in comparison to what Polanski did.

And for the record, I think Apocalypto and Match Point were great films. Chinatown is, of course, a classic.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I posted this in the HD Talk area of their forum:

Quote:
To Daniel Hirshleifer, reviewer of Apocalypto

You sir should be ashamed of yourself. You may not like Gibson for what he said, in fact, I don't care much for him as a man myself, but to trash the movie, like you did, showing your overt bias towards the man, and letting that dictate your score on the film, says a lot about your ability as a "reviewer".

Next time, I think you should let someone with a little more of an open mind, take care of reviewing his films.

DVD Talk should pull that "review" (and I use that term loosely) and have another person handle the review of the film, because not only does that current review make a good movie look bad, it makes the site as a whole, lose credibility with many people.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
You're angry with the reviewer because he didn't like the movie? I agree, the review could have done without the diatribe about Gibson's recent PR blunders, but the reviewer simply didn't like the movie. Reviews are completely subjective, which is why you see some movies hailed by critics as masterpieces and others give it a turd.

Big deal, he's one guy. Go to rottentomatoes, films generally get an abundance of reviews collected by all kinds of reviewers and you can usually get a little more balanced perspective about films.

~edit~

BTW, rottentomatoes has it with a 65% fresh rating, which is decent. Maybe that will help some of you sleep at night.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I'm perfectly okay with the fact that some people didn't like the movie (I personally thought it was engaging and refreshingly different), to each his own.

But to give the film a zero out of five? Come off it. The reviewer was more concerned with what the film isn't than what it actually is. He just can't seem to come to terms with the idea that it isn't like The Passion of the Christ.

I don't deny that the guy has a right to speak his mind but that was just a bitter, unprofessional review that was levelled more at Gibson than what was actually on the disc.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Leisle /forum/post/0

You're angry with the reviewer because he didn't like the movie? I agree, the review could have done without the diatribe about Gibson's recent PR blunders, but the reviewer simply didn't like the movie. Reviews are completely subjective, which is why you see some movies hailed by critics as masterpieces and others give it a turd.

Big deal, he's one guy. Go to rottentomatoes, films generally get an abundance of reviews collected by all kinds of reviewers and you can usually get a little more balanced perspective about films.

~edit~

BTW, rottentomatoes has it with a 65% fresh rating, which is decent. Maybe that will help some of you sleep at night.

Did you even read what I said? I said that I was disappointed he let his hatred of Gibson dictate the score of the film. I could care less about him not liking the movie, but its WHY he didn't like it that I disagreed with.

Next time, read what people write rather than just launching into your diatribe.....oh, and here is one back at you.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblank74 /forum/post/0

Did you even read what I said? I said that I was disappointed he let his hatred of Gibson dictate the score of the film. I could care less about him not liking the movie, but its WHY he didn't like it that I disagreed with.

Next time, read what people write rather than just launching into your diatribe.....oh, and here is one back at you.

If you actually read my post, you'd realize my remarks were not directed towards you - they were generalized. If they were geared towards your comments, I would have quoted you, kinda like I'm doing now. And here I thought that practice was pretty much common knowledge in this day and age. My apologies, I'll be more clear for you next time I post directly after you.

And since you so asked, how do you know the reviewer's distaste for Gibson influenced his review? Uh.....unfounded speculation? He spoke rather highly of Passion, so I doubt he's incapable of being objective on Gibson films.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
it was a good movie but imo just a renter.

btw i rented the dvd and have no plans of ever buying the blu ray version.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Yes, an extremely poor critique of the movie. You could sense the author's venom toward Gibson seeping out at every turn. Just awful......very nearly a rant rather then a review.

1 - 20 of 305 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.