AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently gotten kicked off of blu-ray.com for no specified reason.

even though you didn't specify reason I think I know the reason why you acted the way you did.

Also I'm posting it on a different 3D medium form to see if this is a common situation and if there's a misunderstanding.

The last thing I was talking about where my experiences of being involuntarily corralled into the bootleg 3D Blu-ray business.

As most Americans know from about 2014 onward, a) 3D printings have been down in both quantity of copies for a title as well as number of titles and b) Ebay Speculators have been buying out 3D blu-rays because they see it as a commodity more so than an entertainment title.

get a Blu-ray movie was to go on ebay.

naturally when you're looking for something on eBay you go for the lowest price or the fastest shipment or whatever. And they send you a disk.

the problem is that these are bootlegs and they don't tell you that on ebay.

The only 2 ways you could tell it's a bootleg is either to know the difference between a pre-pressed Blu-ray back color and a BD-R back color, or to try playing its on an Xbox One, or as I've heard also a PlayStation 4. almost all the movies I have run perfectly fine in a PlayStation 3. but I would prefer an Xbox One because it has built-in Dolby Atmos Headphones which sounds great for all Dolby and DTS movies.

I bet you'd comments I made made them think is was advocating for piracy. Like how I know that the bootleg of Valerian has to be played continuously, because either pausing or rewinding it or doing anything else than other than playing it causes it to either freeze, or become Lela-vision (a 2d version of a 3D movie.)

Also two copies of 3D movies were so rare, that unless you were willing to spend $1,000 on a rare Japanese 3D Ralph Breaks the Internet, the bootleg was the only reasonably priced one. That was never released on an A copy anywhere else.

Even rarer is Mission Impossible Fallout, because it was recorded from an internet based pay-per-view that was only in a few nations, and was recorded on a bdr using a side-by-side half processor, which lets 2D compatible video accurately capture 3D video. I think there's two reasons why I couldn't get a u.s. copy of Fallout. One is Patamount never published Fallout 3D anywhere in the world on physical disc, and the other is that we have such low bandwidth that were lucky we can even pick up standard definition, let alone 1080p 3D.

Does anyone else agree that 3D has become the new speakeasy? anyone else by 3D copy and eBay and not realize it was a bootleg until a wooden boot on something like an Xbox One? people who don't own an Xbox One or PS4 don't even think they have a bootleg.

As soon as I was aware I was looking for a legitimate Studio authorized 3D copy and the only place they seem to sell them now is England but luckily they're ABC discs.

I was not intending to brag about buying bootlegs or advocating for by bootlegs. I was saying it's hard to buy legitimate versions in the United States are 3D movies. If my comments weren't edited, I said the movie studios are leaving lots of money on the table and giving it to both bootleggers and eBay speculators if they don't release a 3D version legitimately.

It's like the bot reads the word bootleg an automatically flags it without reading the contents inside.

I did say I did find zavvi which is a place where you could buy new authorized 3D movies. Albeit they are Briti copies that are labeled ABC discs.

and I am eventually going to replace as many of my bootlegs with legitimate copies. I think I had 16 illegitimate copies and replace seven of them so far with legitimate ones.

I don't think most people go to the dark corner of the world and say "the password is 'red and cyan'. "

If you want a curb bootleggers the number one question to ask is, "will it play on my Xbox One?". If they say yes and it turns out wrong, you could ask eBay for refund. If they say no, then they probably either are bootleggers or come across one and is trying to dump it off.

Also surround sound is that used by very many people compared to TVs, get even bear basic DVDs have either Dolby or DTS 5.1 surround. the problem is that the majority of 3D titles are sold with a giant 3D on box. it don't see the Double D's of Dolby on Dolby movies in big print.

what's compared to how the video game industry dealt with it. there was no such thing as a separate 3D version of a video game. basically all video games that had the feature from around 2008 ish to 2012 ish add a label that said 3D and below it it said 2D compatible. They wanted you to know that you can enjoy the game perfectly fine in 2D and if you want to you could add depth.

If 3D movies in 3D TVs that they have a big backlash at the Christmas of 2012, probably every game now would have side by side half 3D option. If your game is sort of in 3D graphics natively, did all you have to do is add a second camera for your second ey. Maybe one megabit of code in addition to the rest of the game?

The problem is no one wanted to use in the movies a 3D 2D combo disc. It's a waste of plastic to print 3D 2D discs when the solution to 2D 3D compatibility is as simple as defining either of the two eyes as you're mean 2D perspective and selectively ended out the alternate I through using alternate frames and removing every other frame by having the recessive I encoded so that it's unreadable junk data that doesn't cause the disc player to go error diet contains a second eye.

by the way bass on the way most people see everyone has a dominant eye and a recessive eye. You probably define your 2D vision by your dominant eye, and the other eye adds depth.

the problem is the 2D 3D combo standard always defines the left eye is the dominant eye but two-thirds of the people in the world are naturally right I'd unless one time I had pink eye in my right eye and temporarily my stereo compensated and made my left eye the dominant eye. Caused slight dizziness when when confused but otherwise got used to it in like an hour. If right eye directors could define the right eye as the main I as well as the left the left, then the 2D mode would be closer to the director's vision and a more comprehensible society than automatically assuming left eye is dominant.

Cananyone else testified that it's hard to find a 3D copy in America of almost anything recently without risking accidentally strolling into a dark corner of eBay or Amazon?
Dolby is usually printed in small print on the back. Maybe there should be a symbol for 2D compatible 3D. Insurance for 3D people that you could get a legitimate 3D copy and the 2D people that you that you will never go this it's a 3D movie unless you looked at the box and knew what that symbol meant.

Also broadcast, cable, and internet TV need a 2d compatible version of 3D with hidden recessive frames.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I didn't know until recently that Universal and Sony and maybe a few other studios release select titles on MOD (Manufacture on Demand). Sony releases their titles on BD-R's. Universal's are all pressed. What's the difference? The artwork is more basic, less special features or none. Abominable 3D was a MOD release. So, can't always go by BD-R but usually that's the best indicator.

Now as far as releasing 3D and 2D together, there are some problems with that. Blu-ray 3D's MVC encoding allows for 2D only viewing on a 2D screen, if it's encoded that way. Some discs, I would say most 3D releases are 3D only. Why wouldn't you want 3D/2D on the same disc? Less discs, saves time/money etc. Well, there's a good reason not to and that's because the 3D version can be very different from the 2D version. Take Dr. Strange. The 3D version has floating windows all the way through the movie. In case you don't know what those are they are the black bars that are placed when you have noticeable window violations which can be bad for 3D. Sometimes those black bars are stationary and sometimes they move in and out. I personally, do not like them. But they're used at any rate. So if you were to just use the left eye view here obviously that would be quite awful in 2D.

Also, most 3D movies are converted. With conversion they use techniques like rotoscoping and painting of information to create the two views for 3D. I don't know in every case if they use the left view for 2D or if there's a separate view of 2D for the 2D version. It would seem to me that you have a 2D version and a 3D version. If for instance, you rip say a left eye view from a 3D disc to be used for 2D, that will not always match the 2D only disc information. Depends on the title.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've recently gotten kicked off of blu-ray.com for no specified reason. even though you didn't specify reason I think I know the reason why you acted the way you did. Also I'm posting it on a different 3D medium form to see if this is a common situation and if there's a misunderstanding. ... Can anyone else testified that it's hard to find a 3D copy in America of almost anything recently without risking accidentally strolling into a dark corner of eBay or Amazon?
I suggest you contact blu-ray.com directly to get your account reinstated. It's possible it was flagged automatically as you say, but without checking what you wrote it's hard to know what criteria they're basing closing your account on, or whether the nuances of what you're talking about is what caused it, or if it's just keywords or people flagging it. Just because you think what you wrote is fine doesn't mean someone else has an issue with it.

To my knowledge copies have always been on eBay for quite a while, not specifically for 3D movies. So in general if it's too cheap to be true, or it doesn't exist anywhere, it's probably a copy.

So it comes back to if you're a collector, you need to do due diligence on what you're after to evaluate the different editions that are available, region locking (if any), whether one edition has extras or Dolby Atmos or a higher bitrate than another edition, etc. This assists with filtering out copies particularly if you're tracing it back to the actual studios/publishers that released it originally. Admittedly, the process could be easier but it is what it is at the moment.

Given I'm outside of USA this has always been standard practice, as many countries don't get the range of media that USA does or never gets releases at all. We're just seeing more US-centric discussion as they've stopped releasing 3D discs in general. So in general you would just go to reputable suppliers like Zavvi or other country specific Amazon's to pick up the releases depending on what you want, or some diligent searching on eBay.

For example, with Ralph Breaks the Internet this can be gotten for $80 USD from YesAsia (here) so I'm not sure why anyone would be buying it for more than $100 USD inside USA. Research would show it's only ever been released in Japan, so you can instantly write off all the non-Japanese ones (ie, from Greece/China) as copies. Japan as a default has always been more expensive for disc media, even for DVD's - they have to stop people from reverse importing from USA back to Japan these days as the USA releases are significantly cheaper depending on what you're after (ie anime collections).

Hopefully you can get your account unblocked or at least reviewed by a person, again, it's hard to know what precisely triggered it unless they tell you.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Yeah, I bought the Japanese Ralph Breaks the Internet, and I recall it wasn't cheap from Amazon.jp even when I preordered it. Probably paid around $60 or so all in from Japan.

You're gonna see more of that in the future - discs are just going to increase in prices and waiting for prices to go down can be risky. With disc sales down print runs are smaller and excess discs are goring to be rarer as everyone starts to right-size their print runs so it sells out with little or no spares to discount.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First you can only contact them if you are a member. So I have to beam in a remote message to reach them. Twitch streamers also have that same problem.

Unless you can give me an email address, accessable by all, I can't reach them.

First if all, I'm notacquiring 3d movies gor speculative value. I'm doing it to watch 3D movies and they are unavailable in America.

In the last year I learned about Zavvi.com with cromulent English ABC copies.

Yes I know the Korean Valerian and the Japanese Ralph Breaks the Internet are rare region A copies. Also somewhere is a rare A region Hunger Games 4.

Luckily, most studios have legit versions in England.

I was giving a suggestion on how to avoid bootlegs I've gotten many refunds and avoided others because I asked if it work on Xbox One.

In the last year I found out about that. That's why I slowed down after one spree a year ago

I believe in buying real. I remember there was an HD DVD campaign with the slogan "Don't get burned, keep it real", which is a double entendre.

Assuming they didn't erase the evidence, the recent comments were me sharing my stories of getting burned, and how I either avoided it. or either got the bootlegger to admit it or lose money in the transaction, and the difficulty of getting burnt disc working on an Xbox One.

I noticed the anti-burnt program only works for Blu Ray or higher. DVDs I burnt from TV and my personal media still work on an Xbox One.

And yes, I know how to burn a 3DDVD. Not a 3D Blu Ray, a 3DDVD. Byou just manually turn a 3d video into side by side half with a 16x9 or wider media. For narrow media , instead of letterbox, pillarboxing or windowboxing, you "periscopebox".

So anyone know an email address or other "appeal line" to Blu-Ray.com.
Also I got banned one other website. And 2 twitch steams for life without warning or requests to stop doing something.

I never broke a specific rule.

And one time, a term I used for quarrantining virus between the time I wrote it and the time someone else noticed it got flagged for racism. Is Lyme's Disease, Spanish Flu, or West Nile Virus considered racist? It became a Red and Blue issue of the Blues not liking the Reds' name for the 2020 virus because it mentions a city in a country who the Reds say are not our friends and the Blues say are. I did not mean it in a Red and Blue way.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I think it would be easier to just create a new account with new email. If you want to pursue having your original account reopened you could then message them from there. Or just start fresh and move on.

·
Super Moderator
21,315 Posts
I think it would be easier to just create a new account with new email. If you want to pursue having your original account reopened you could then message them from there. Or just start fresh and move on.

don't start a new account: if you as an existing member started a new account here on AVS, it would get flagged automatically and you would be subject to having both accounts shut down permanently

·
Registered
26,524 Posts
First you can only contact them if you are a member. So I have to beam in a remote message to reach them. Twitch streamers also have that same problem.
When was your account disabled? It seems that the site had a software issue that caused a number of users to get locked out with a "You've been banned" message for no reason. I saw that being discussed on Home Theater Forum:

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/has-blu-ray-com-forum-been-hacked.367307/

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wanted to see if it was just me or if other people were kicked out for no reason. I didn't see the posting on home theater review. So I guess it is a security issue and not an overeager bot.

So owners of blu-ray.com please get the security thing fixed.

And thank you, (I would thank You by username but I can't dictate to the phone and see who posted life at the same time so the next post will be thank you whoever.) for telling me it's wasn't my fault.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Josh Z. The count was just save up sometime between 24 and 48 hours before I made my post here. and the reason said no specific reason so yeah it is probably a big bug.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Tomtastic, thank you for telling me why the 2D version is it just the 3D version with either left eye right eye. what you're basically saying is that the home video makers are cheating by making the true ratio 16 by 9 not 2.35 to 1and it's sending out the 3dfx beyond 2.35 to 1 ratio.

I've literally seen only two films in theater in 3d, Star Wars The Phantom menace 3D, which basically look like a bunch of plastic cardboard cutouts placed in different depth dimensions, and Wreck-It Ralph 3D.

I know exactly why I like the 3D effects better at home. because I use shutter vision the same stuff that was used in the Sega Master System that made me see beautiful 3D games. Theaters use polar vision, which is good if you have hundreds of people or more coming in at a time but it's bad if it's a personal theater.

But I do ask, "why pick the left eye when two-thirds of the people are naturally right-eyed?"

That would be an interesting test see if someone could tell the difference between a left eye film in 2D a right eye film in 2D, an a made-for-2d movie.

Also, is one's enjoyment of a 2d conversion of a 3D film be based on which of YOUR of your two eyes are dominant, or which of the DIRECTOR'S two eyes is dominant?

I noticed something weird also on 3D movies. Special effects seem to be what's done in 3D, however the funeral of Tony Stark look weird when panning through the Avengers mourning, again with that "cardboard cutout placed at different depths" depths kind of like Attack of the Movies 3D for the Wii.

it seems like if you're doing more human stories like I plan to broadcast the miniature golf tournament live in 3D, the best way to capture it is the way people act received 3D, two 2d cameras synched together. I bet you the human bodies of whatever gender you're attracted to, regardless of your gender, look snuggier in true filmed 3D vs computer processed 3D

You either store it as a single 32 by 9 proper proportion picture or in a 16 by 9 picture compressed in half horizontally in order to guarantee L/R sync.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
You'd notice the difference straight away (I do) if the left/right views are reversed. The left eye is from that vantage-point and the right is from that vantage point. Reverse them, and they no longer have the correct 3D view. It looks odd straight away. Sometimes the glasses might be reversed, like on my Ape-man DLP link glasses. For some fantastic reason they have a button to change left/right on the glasses and they are reversed by default every time you turn them on.

Shutter vs passive. This is the way I see it. Passive is great for casual viewing. Like in the living room, in a group, for flat panels which are bright with lights on. If you're multi-tasking. Shutter, great in a darkened dedicated theater room with projection setup. Maybe fewer people since most active glasses wrap around and you can't see what else is going on in room. Shutter glasses are darker, but with lights off it's not noticeable.

My vision is slightly better in right eye. I don't really see any dominant effect. Binocular vision works with both eyes. It's sort of like being able to see the difference between full 1080p per eye and 540p per eye, like on 1080p passive screens. Up close it's pretty easy to see but at 10 feet or more on a 65" screen, I have found it difficult to tell. That is because you're using both eyes for a combined 1080p image. If you close one eye and study the screen for interlacing artifacts, it's a lot easier.

2 cameras, I have many 3D cameras. I have worked with a dual camera setup but with lack of genlock sync the two frames can be noticeably out of sync if enough movement is present in frame. It's good for landscapes or slow moving subjects. I wouldn't have even bothered but 4K is a major improvement and looks incredible. They only made HD 3D camcorders, unfortunately.

And on your last thought, layout for 3D of frame packing is 2205x1920 with 45 black pixels between, sort of like a top/bottom full format. 4K screens can be fed full SBS or TB HD or 4K, but it only works on 4K models since it has the resolution to support it. But it's not a universal format like Blu ray 3D. Half resolution files are much easier to work with since the framing is 16:9. Top/bottom is the desired format since early passive screens discard half the vertical lines of horizontal resolution (540p/eye limit). So you get 1920x540p/eye. If you make SBS files for passive 1080 screen you only get 960x540p/eye.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
don't start a new account: if you as an existing member started a new account here on AVS, it would get flagged automatically and you would be subject to having both accounts shut down permanently
Wow, that seems a bit harsh! I was thinking of doing that once in order to change my username but glad I didn't.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Wow, that seems a bit harsh! I was thinking of doing that once in order to change my username but glad I didn't.
Yeah, there's legitimate reasons to open a new account besides nefarious reasons. I don't agree they would know if you did. Use a new email, new username, new IP and you're fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts