Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed this on
Cnet News .

Cool!

- Tom

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
This means that we can now legally create and utilize,and sell a linux based HTPC solution. This would go a LONG way of curing the problems with windows, and getting these puppies truly 'transparent' (more 'standalone DVD player-scaler' oriented) and simple to use. Basically, a remote instead of a keyboard..and a system that tolerates instantaneous shutdowns, and startups...with no flaws or problems..every...stinking...time it is used. That's what most here have been searching for. Microsoft...go screw yourself.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Hold on!

While IANAL, this is a state court ruling, not a federal court ruling. This probably will not be the precedent for the legalities of the DMCA nationwide. Rather, it will only make it harder for them to prosecute the publishers in California.

Perhaps a distinction without a difference, practically speaking...

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi All:

___Simple comment. Linux may in fact be our next and future HTPC growing pain … Andrew can you code the TheaterTek players front end on a Linux based Ravisent decoder yet ;) I know, waiting for the Ravisent Linux port …

___Tom, thanks for the links.

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
625 Posts
Quote:
with no flaws or problems..every...stinking...time it is used. That's what most here have been searching for. Microsoft...go screw yourself.
Hmmm. You must still be using an OS based on the Win9x Kernel, or using substandard hardware. I'm a software developer and have used Win2k every day since Feb. 2000 (when it was released) and I can count on one hand the number of times I've had a hard crash.

Mark.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Yeah, I agree -- my main desktop PC (which gets used and abused a lot more than my HTPC) is a Win2K box and I can't remember the last time it crashed. The only recent reboots I can remember have been to install driver updates, not too unreasonable.

·
Registered
514 Posts
As a linux-loving geek I have to grudgingly admit that Win2k is the first Micro$oft OS that I'm actually happy to use.

It's stability is without doubt a huge step up from the Win95/98/98SE/ME line, while it's functionality/compatibility makes it usable for my HTPC needs.

It's still not as bulletproof as my linux box though - I've had ntkern.exe corruption occur once, barely a month after install. By contrast, I've never lost a linux kernel... ;)

This is great news though....time to change my sig

·
Registered
407 Posts
"The California appeals court's ruling Thursday goes the furthest to date in explicitly defining software code as speech. Under that legal reasoning, programmers could still be prosecuted for posting illegal software but could not be prevented from doing so in the first place. "

Careful genixia...

·
Registered
901 Posts
Cool, so the right to post illegal encryption busting software and then get sued is protected under the 1st ammendment.

Isn't that what they call giving you enough rope!

Another side to this is that presumable this would also allow people to create and circulate viruses. Yout would just end up in trouble if they did any damage.

Gotta love the legal system :rolleyes:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by siwilson
...Another side to this is that presumable this would also allow people to create and circulate viruses. Yout would just end up in trouble if they did any damage.
Isn't this how it should be anyway? In the real world, "your rights end when your fist hits my nose" applies. Should you not be allowed to even think about hitting me in the nose?

I hate viruses as much as anyone (they are extremely annoying), but, as a programmer, they are interesting subjects. You have to be clever to program something like that (though I don't have the desire or probably the skill to do so). Should I not be able to experiment with something like a virus, or even talk with a friend about the techniques involved in programming something like that?

All this court case ruled was that _source code_ was considered a form of speech and was protected. I don't believe it addressed object code (executable code) at all.

When this DeCSS stuff first started out, there was a website that pointed out how absurd it all was by providing many forms of the DeCSS source code. They had a dramatic reading of it, a poem that described the algorithm in pseudocode, and many other examples.

The only difference between a poem describing the steps necessary to decrypt a DVD and the C source to do the same thing is how effeciently it can be used to tell a computer to do it. It's all speech just the same.

Of course, decrypting a DVD and selling a bunch of copies of it should be illegal as well as unleashing a virus...however in those cases, the fist has already hit the nose.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by macleodm

Hmmm. You must still be using an OS based on the Win9x Kernel, or using substandard hardware. I'm a software developer and have used Win2k every day since Feb. 2000 (when it was released) and I can count on one hand the number of times I've had a hard crash.

Mark.
Try using your Win2k box without ever using the shutdown command and see how happy it is. Next start removing unwanted items from your kernel to speed things up - oh wait, can't do that either. How about we turn off every single service we won't need? Close, but they're still there. What if you wanted to use a built in scripting language to read input on the the serial port, perform some actions, and display the results on a 2 line VFD? Hmm, need a bunch of extra software, eh?

I use Win2k on a daily basis, and yes it is fairly stable, but once you get into the appliace space, there simply is no comparison. Linux is going to be our next evolution - we'll be able to build a set-it-and-forget-it box that we can use just like the rest of our AV components...

·
Registered
918 Posts
Quote:
When this DeCSS stuff first started out, there was a website that pointed out how absurd it all was by providing many forms of the DeCSS source code. They had a dramatic reading of it, a poem that described the algorithm in pseudocode, and many other examples.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/DeCSS/Gallery/ ]DeCSS Gallery[/url]

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KBK
Microsoft...go screw yourself.
Yes. I may have stated this a bit strongly. But, on the other hand..any other company would ahve had the software working perfectly by version 2.0, and you certianly can't say that about windows 2.0. i understand about problems of working with platforms. Hell, now that microsoft has started using linux coding schemes in it's desing phase... well, suddenly windows 2k starts to get stable.. imagine that. Gee, i wonder how that happened?...

Microsoft: designed by comittee, hated by millions. Anyway, that's enough microsoft bashing for today. Yes, i am using win98SEe. i don't really relish the idea of going another round with this crap.. again. i was there for windows 1.0, and earlier, so i am intimately familiar with intel archetecture. I did dos only for a long time, to aviod windows and it's problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.