AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here's my situation: A father here, thinking of getting Xbox Live going for my 10 year old son.


Our Xbox lacks a hard drive, so I know I need the starter kit with hard drive and headset. I cannot easily run an ethernet cable to the console, and while I know that Microsoft sells a wireless adapter, I am not sure if it will mesh well with my 2004 Apple Airport Express wireless station (b/g network).


I have an extra Mac computer that I can use as a wireless receiver to run an ethernet bridge, and I followed some instructions off a youtube video to try to set that up, but it didn't take.


I could tinker further, but I wonder: what's the buzz concerning how well a Microsoft wireless adapter plays with an Airport Express network? I will buy the Microsoft item if it will save me hours of headaches, but I'm not confident that it will be that simple...


Thanks,


David
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,280 Posts
google reports that 360 wireless + airport express does work...... but why not buy another airport express (you'll get more use out of that) and connect AE to AE... set the original to WDS MAIN, and the other to WDS Remote, plug the xbox into the remote via the single ethernet port on the new AE... this will also increase your range and footprint for your wireless in your home... especially if you're getting low or dead spots where the xbox might be, or further than that.


edit, also the AE with wireless N is the same price as the xbox adapter, but if you can find another like yours (a/b/g) it will probably be even cheaper..... or if you want to swap the house to wireless N, pick up two new ones, and sell the old one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,280 Posts
you'll also add airtunes and wireless printing to the location of the xbox
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bada Bing /forum/post/17033170


Okay, here's my situation: A father here, thinking of getting Xbox Live going for my 10 year old son.


Our Xbox lacks a hard drive, so I know I need the starter kit with hard drive and headset. I cannot easily run an ethernet cable to the console, and while I know that Microsoft sells a wireless adapter, I am not sure if it will mesh well with my 2004 Apple Airport Express wireless station (b/g network).


I have an extra Mac computer that I can use as a wireless receiver to run an ethernet bridge, and I followed some instructions off a youtube video to try to set that up, but it didn't take.


I could tinker further, but I wonder: what's the buzz concerning how well a Microsoft wireless adapter plays with an Airport Express network? I will buy the Microsoft item if it will save me hours of headaches, but I'm not confident that it will be that simple...


Thanks,


David

Buy it from Best Buy or Walmart and find out.. I always use them to experiment because they have easy return policies if you cant get it to work.


Im not exactly sure what an "Apple Express network" is. But if its Applespeak for a regular azz Apple branded WiFi router of some sorts then TCP/IP is TCP/IP, and WiFi is WiFi.. just make sure it supports WiFi B or G, because thats what the 360 uses.


FYI I doubt if Apple uses some special network protocol anymore, as I've never had a problem getting my Apple products (iPhone + MacBook) to work on my Belkin or NetGear branded WiFi router.. so I dont see why you would have a problem getting the 360 WiFi adapter to connect yours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd /forum/post/17033685


google reports that 360 wireless + airport express does work...... but why not buy another airport express (you'll get more use out of that) and connect AE to AE... set the original to WDS MAIN, and the other to WDS Remote, plug the xbox into the remote via the single ethernet port on the new AE... this will also increase your range and footprint for your wireless in your home... especially if you're getting low or dead spots where the xbox might be, or further than that.


edit, also the AE with wireless N is the same price as the xbox adapter, but if you can find another like yours (a/b/g) it will probably be even cheaper..... or if you want to swap the house to wireless N, pick up two new ones, and sell the old one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd /forum/post/17033756


you'll also add airtunes and wireless printing to the location of the xbox

Just read what you wrote Nerd.. and if the new AE does support WiFi-N, and airtunes and wireless printing AND its priced the same as the 360 wifi addon adapter.


Then definitely just get another AE. The new AE as he suggested. Way more bang for the buck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,280 Posts
yep, it's $99 bucks, and even as a strictly windows user i can see the value in that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SO I gather that nobody doubts this scenario's workability: I get a second Airport Express able to network with my current b/g one; I plug the new Airport Express into the back of the Xbox 360 (via ethernet cable); and then I can set up Xbox Live no problem.


Unrelated issue, but I also need to get a hard drive for this Xbox 360, which has none, and it appears that I might need to do that before I can go online with the unit at all and get whatever updates, etc., are needed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bada Bing /forum/post/17038617


SO I gather that nobody doubts this scenario's workability: I get a second Airport Express able to network with my current b/g one; I plug the new Airport Express into the back of the Xbox 360 (via ethernet cable); and then I can set up Xbox Live no problem.


Unrelated issue, but I also need to get a hard drive for this Xbox 360, which has none, and it appears that I might need to do that before I can go online with the unit at all and get whatever updates, etc., are needed?


Yes, though with a new AE you may want to swap that as your "main" and move the "old" one as the secondary down with the xbox.... and i have no doubts about whether it will work or not, as long as you're able to get signal @ the xbox... the wireless will provide a link together, just as if you ran a cable from one to the other (albeit not as fast, or reliable, but most definitely stable and usable)


as for the hard drive, quite a few users have upgraded, and you can probably find a used 20gb or 60gb easily at somewhere like gamestop....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,258 Posts
Gamestop or EBgames for immediate purchase.. Ebay for the best bang for the buck.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top