AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For an older movie, this looks really really good. The transfer is superb and EE is pretty much non-existent - very unusual even these days. BTW, I'm watching on an 80" wide FP screen, and EE sticks out like a sore them when it's there. Apple Dumpling Gang is equal to the best as far as EE is concerned. I wish they were all like this!

It's still a pretty good movie to.

Larry

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
You are right that the transfer is very nice. It was a good purchase as far as dvd quality for the price goes. However, my three boys aged 7, 10 and 13 saw it for the first time a week ago and although they enjoyed it, especially my 7 yo, it is probably their last time of wanting to see it because it is too tame of a story for them. Other more recent children's movies like Toy Story or Goonies have much more draw because they are more exciting to watch and have skewed their tastes in movies. I have bought some of my old favorites on dvd like 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, Clash Of The Titans, Journey To The Center Of The Earth, Jason And The Argonauts for them to enjoy like I did when I was a kid, but my boys have told me the special effects are "cheesy". They enjoyed them the first time, but have no interest to see them again. So if you are planning to get ADG or similarly Escape From Witch Mountain for yourself then fine, but if it's mostly for your kid's enjoyment be prepared for a bit of a let down in their appreciation.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is tame, but I found the dialog in the scene when the two bank robbers are laying low waiting for the posse, pretty shocking. That conversation which was benign 30 years ago when the movie was made, would be taken to mean something entirely different, and very risque today :)

·
Premium Member
16,979 Posts
What aspect ratio is this one. If its anamorphic I will definetly order this. One of my all time fun movies.

Good to hear there no EE and its good to hear someone else who cares about it.

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Alan,

I havn't picked mine up yet but I have taken a look at it and it looks real good. This is from DVD Empire.

Features:

Audio Commentary with Susan Clark, TIm Conway, Don Knotts and Brad Savage

Cartoon - "Two Gun Goofy"

A Look Back with the Gang

Conversations with Tim Conway

Disney's Rootin' Tootin' Cowboy Heroes

Lost Treasures: The Disney Back Lot

1975 Disney Studio Album

Production Stills

Biographies: Bill Bixby, Brad Savage, Clay O'Brien, Don Knotts, Harry Morgan, Norman Tokar, Slim Pickens, Stacy Manning, Susan Clark, Tim Conway

Advertising: Lobby Cards, Posters, Publicity, Comic Book

Video:

Widescreen 1.75:1 Color (Anamorphic)

Audio:

ENGLISH: Dolby Digital 5.1 [CC]

Subtitles:

[None]

Includes:

Audio Commentary

Release Date: 9-2-2003

Packaging: Keep Case

Disc: SS-SL

Chapters: 12

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alan, the aspect ratio is 1.75:1 and it is anamorphic. I guarantee you'll be please with the PQ of this movie, especially considering the age of the

source material.

My favorite line of the movie: "Dusty is a fine specimen of womanhood. I seen her get caught in a cloud burst once...and I wanna tell you..."

My wife just about choked she was laughing so hard at that one.

BTW: I picked mine up at Wal*Mart. Their price is $14.95 which is pretty much inline with most online DVD sellers.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I purchased it from Costco for $13.99. I also just ordered from DeepdiscountDVD.com some of the other Don knotts movies that are now also available anamorphic widescreen:

"The Ghost and Mr. Chicken"

"How to Frame a Figg"

"The Reluctant Astronaut"

"The Shakiest Gun in the West"

"The Love God"

All the above movies were $9.35 with free shipping. If you are a big Don Knotts fan, then these are a must have to add to your collection. I am looking forward to watching them all since I don't recall ever seeing them in thier original widescreen release format.

Also available was "The Incredible Mr. limpet", which was also released in anamorphic.

Don

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.