AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

· Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the Apple-TV announced at Mac world, with effortless easy, cheap ($299) wireless streaming from a Mac or PC with Itunes to an HDTV via an HDMI port, Apple had the opportunity to crush both the new optical formats in one fell swoop. Alas, it only supports 720P streaming. Soon Itunes will offer HD movies in 720P for download which can be streamed to the Apple-TV box. This could still take away some major market share from optical next-gen formats if the consumer is willing to accept 720P HD movies over the 1080P HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. Thoughts? When Apple-TV version 2 supports 1080P streaming and 1080P movie downloads, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are DEAD. I'll tell you one thing, I'm buying Apple-TV version 1 and a lot of my disposable income is going to be going towards 720P online purchases of movies to stream to it, perhaps in place of HD-DVDs I would have bought.

· Registered
1,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpak2005 /forum/post/0

With the Apple-TV announced at Mac world, with effortless easy, cheap ($299) streaming from a Mac or PC with Itunes to an HDTV via an HDMI port, Apple had the opportunity to crush both the new optical formats in one fell swoop. Alas, it only supports 720P streaming. Soon Itunes will offer HD movies in 720P for download which can be streamed to the Apple-TV box. This could still take away some major market share from optical next-gen formats if the consumer is willing to accept 720P HD movies over the 1080P HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. Thoughts? When Apple-TV version 2 supports 1080P streaming and 1080P movie downloads, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are DEAD.

Your opinion entirely. I, for one hate downloads. The PQ is never the same as HD DVD or Blu-ray...and you have no idea what you are getting!

I want software that I can play and store as I see fit. There will always be a place for software. Have you seen the download times for some of these crap? I'd loose my mind.

· Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAGOSIAN /forum/post/0

Your opinion entirely. I, for one hate downloads. The PQ is never the same as HD DVD or Blu-ray...and you have no idea what you are getting!

I want software that I can play and store as I see fit. There will always be a place for software. Have you seen the download times for some of these crap? I'd loose my mind.

I don't see download times as an impediment at all. It's a mentality change. 15-30 GBs first of all will not be that slow when offered by a service that is designed architecturally to handle HD movie downloads. Also, people wait overnight for Netflix rentals, instead you'd select an HD movie for download, maybe let your computer download it while you're sleeping and then it's there. Also, internet connections are getting faster over time with fiber to the home, etc. As far as storage, hard drives are getting larger and larger and can easily handle HD movie downloads.

· Registered
818 Posts
That 40GB HDD is rather small for movies, so it better be easily upgradeable.

· Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazExprez /forum/post/0

That 40GB HDD is rather small for movies, so it better be easily upgradeable.

This is what I believe, the hard drive in Apple-TV is not designed for storage, it is designed for streaming. 720P HD video streaming with H.264 should easily work with a 40 GB hard drive. You would store the actual movies on your computer or external network hard drive, and it would stream to Apple-TV over 802.11N.

· Registered
818 Posts

Quote:

This is what I believe, the hard drive in Apple-TV is not designed for storage, it is designed for streaming. 720P HD video streaming with H.264 should easily work with a 40 GB hard drive. You would store the actual movies on your computer or external network hard drive, and it would stream to Apple-TV over 802.11N.

Oh, that seems good then.

· Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another thing to think about for those buying Apple-TV like I am. The movie selection, even tho it'll only be 720P HD quality, will be much more vast than HD-DVD's selection because Itunes will be offering HD movie downloads from FOX and other studios in HD or so I hear. I'll obviously keep investing in my HD-DVD collection but for a nice cheap slightly lower quality HD alternative, the Apple-TV is a good choice with HDMI. It also looks pretty damn sexy, so tiny with 802.11n.

I honestly believe that is version 1 of a type of product that will one day take the place of optical formats. Apple brings an ease of use in the operating system of devices like this that can revolutionize non-optical download based HD movie delivery. This could well be the next iPod with the device that connects to your TV being nothing more than a box that streams HD content from your computer. One major hurdle, wireless bandwith, has been solved with 802.11n.

· Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1loudsuv /forum/post/0

yah at 40gigs it wont sound anything like hd-dvd or blu ray and will not look like it either.

Really? How many gigabytes does your average double layer HD-DVD have? 30 gbs? The device is not a storage device, it streams stored HD video from your computer or network hard drive (which stores the video after your purchase it online). The device and 802.11n can EASILY stream HD video with the quality of HD-DVD to your TV with a 40GB hard drive if it had 1080p support, as of this version it supports 720P.

· Banned
1,190 Posts

Quote:

Really? How many gigabytes does your average double layer HD-DVD have? 30 gbs? The device is not a storage device, it streams stored HD video from your computer or network hard drive (which stores the video). The device can EASILY stream HD video with the quality of HD-DVD to your TV with a 40GB hard drive.

i deleted my post cause i just finished reading it and jumped the gun and posted first sorry. but will it have lossless sound?

· Registered
5,786 Posts
if anything the 360 will be much better than itunes in the hd dept.... their stuff looks really good but its in no way the quality of hd-dvd.

i do wish ms would get that content off the 360 only and open it up for media center/vista/zune.

· Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Itunes currently has NO 720P video or movies, but will, as promised by Steve Jobs at Macworld, in the next 2 months from some major studios as the launch of Apple-TV becomes imminent. I can't comment yet on the quality of that HD video until it's a) available, and b) I see it streamed to my Apple-TV which I've pre-ordered (and to my HD plasma), but I will surely let you know

A picture of the Apple-TV with an HDTV, pretty slick with the N wireless and the HDMI, excited about this

· Registered
209 Posts

Quote:

Itunes currently has NO 720P video or movies, but will, as promised by Steve Jobs at Macworld, in the next 2 months from some major studios as the launch of Apple-TV becomes imminent. I can't comment yet on the quality of that HD video until it's a) available, and b) I see it streamed to my Apple-TV which I've pre-ordered, but I will surely let you know

Looking foward to reading that review. I'm not a big fan of Apple, but I like the idea of being able to stream HD content. Can't go wrong with more options to get HD.

· Registered
818 Posts
I saw part of the keynote presentation and the Apple TV seems very cool. If they could get good quality 720p movies, this will be a very good product. I hope they get 1080p in the next version.

· Registered
265 Posts
What internet speed do you need to stream HD movies? I know a very large portion of the United States is in an area where dialup is still the best internet option, unless they want to spring for an expensive satellite system.

Is something like this really going to appeal to that very large non-broadband audience when they have HD-DVD and Bluray?

· Registered
3,034 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazExprez /forum/post/0

I saw part of the keynote presentation and the Apple TV seems very cool. If they could get good quality 720p movies, this will be a very good product. I hope they get 1080p in the next version.

I think 1080p is wishful thinking. Assuming that this model actually works, it just doesn't seem like the 'Apple way" to provide videophile/audiophile options. What percentage of the iTV market would they miss by not doing 1080p? The people who want 1080p will purchase HD media or just as likely get their "web downloads" from Netflix. I would think that 720p is at least a 90% solution. Depending on the bit-rate and compression it could be more than 2x SD DVD quality. I would easily surpass ATSC or PPV alternatives for quality. HD audio is an even bigger dream.

Sometimes I think the best solution is for HD media to become a niche product tailored to the desires of videophiles and audiophiles. That would probably eliminate a lot discussion around the need for Fullscreen HD titles. With Amazon and Netflix there is no need for the tradition B&M network for efficient distribution. Welcome to the digital media era.

· Registered
6,683 Posts
I think that appletv gives us a peak in to the future, but in its current form, it is a few fries short of a Happy Meal. Having said that, I did order one strictly for audio and photo streaming.

Anyone that likes watching iTunes videos on a big screen HDTV is likely not the same person that is sweating the BR vs. HD-DVD format war. The PQ is crap. But, there is no reason why it could not be HD quality, assuming there is enough bandwidth to stream the content. And supposedly, the "n" Wi-Fi standard has the bandwidth to do so.

But, on the audio side of the coin, the current appletv implementation only supports 2CH stereo. For this to be a serious HT player, they are going to really need proper 5.1 support.

So, right now, this is no threat IMHO, but it does put the pieces in position for it to be a threat.

One more thing...I would probably disagree with Miata in terms of HD Media becoming a niche player. That is exactly what happened with SACD and HD-DVD, and because of that, there are virtually no main stream releases in either format. Lots of jazz and classical, but nothing that really lights my fire the way the early releases on those formats did. I would hate to have that happen with HD media (I bought an A2, so I put my money where my mouth is).

One more technical comment: The appletv is said to support component connection in addition to HDMI.

Brian

· Registered
11,169 Posts

Quote:

With the Apple-TV announced at Mac world, with effortless easy, cheap ($299) wireless streaming from a Mac or PC with Itunes to an HDTV via an HDMI port, Apple had the opportunity to crush both the new optical formats in one fell swoop. Alas, it only supports 720P streaming. Soon Itunes will offer HD movies in 720P for download which can be streamed to the Apple-TV box. This could still take away some major market share from optical next-gen formats if the consumer is willing to accept 720P HD movies over the 1080P HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. Thoughts? When Apple-TV version 2 supports 1080P streaming and 1080P movie downloads, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are DEAD. I'll tell you one thing, I'm buying Apple-TV version 1 and a lot of my disposable income is going to be going towards 720P online purchases of movies to stream to it, perhaps in place of HD-DVDs I would have bought.

Did it occur to you that the vast majority of Americans don't even have broadband let alone a home network they can use for streaming?

Tunnel vision typical of those who never leave their own home.

· Registered
8,368 Posts
Personally I don't think AppleTV will sell very well any time soon.

HD downloads are a pain in the @ss.

I personally have no use for one. I just stream my MP3 and AAC music from my iMac to my Xbox 360, and watch movies on HD DVD (add-on).

· Registered
4,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougPr /forum/post/0

What internet speed do you need to stream HD movies? I know a very large portion of the United States is in an area where dialup is still the best internet option, unless they want to spring for an expensive satellite system.

Is something like this really going to appeal to that very large non-broadband audience when they have HD-DVD and Bluray?

Of course not. I have broadband, and I'm not interested. People like to own physical copies of movies, with extras. How else do they manage to sell all those gift sets and special packages?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.