AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that Apple HD Movie Trailers at 1080p on my 32'' LCD through DVI look crisper and more HD poppier than HD DVD at 1080i on my Mits 1080p 65831 through HDMI.

I'm guessing one doesn't look better than the other, rather that because the 32'' LCD is smaller, my eyes are able to focus on and fully take in the entire HD picture.

Just wondering if anybody else noticed this.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I figured. I still love HD DVD.

·
Registered
8,364 Posts
There are many, many more artifacts present in the Apple trailers than in HD DVD (or Blu-ray).

That is not surprising though, since the AVC bitrates for Apple trailers are fairly low, and I suspect that they are less picky when they do the encodes too, and use encoders optimized somewhat for speed as opposed to just optimized for quality only.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The real metric is screen size over viewing distance. Secondary, is your ability to focus as well at certain distances.

I have a theory that many people need to get their eyes checked, maybe just for a prescription update.

(Note, non of the above is implying the OP needs glasses or why he feels the trailers look better on the LCD.)

·
Registered
8,364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoohki /forum/post/0

Apple 1080p trailer are a shame of the use of the .h264 codec...

FWIW, MS's WMV-HD trailers look just as bad.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy /forum/post/0

FWIW, MS's WMV-HD trailers look just as bad.

Check the VC1 one... at 8mbits 1080p ... Apple have TONS and TONS of posterization , the VC1 one from hddvd sound and perfect site have practically none

Anyway this thread is not about who's got the biggest **** i just wanted to say that on my 2405 1920x1200 display, they look worst than HD DVD and BLuRay..

·
Registered
422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoohki /forum/post/0

Check the VC1 one... at 8mbits 1080p ... Apple have TONS and TONS of posterization , the VC1 one from hddvd sound and perfect site have practically none

Anyway this thread is not about who's got the biggest **** i just wanted to say that on my 2405 1920x1200 display, they look worst than HD DVD and BLuRay..

On my 2407 I can also tell that they look terrible. Absolutely horrible posterization. Even dvds are much better in regard to artifacts.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyris /forum/post/0

Yeah, the Apple trailers are much worse quality than anything I've seen on HD DVD.

I respectfully disagree...I have downloaded half a dozen Apple 1080p HD trailers in Quicktime *.mov format (using the $30 Quicktime Pro package), converted them to MP4 format with a program called Yamb, and then transferred the MP4s to my PS3 wirelessly and the quality as seen via my PS3/Sony SXRD XBR1 combo is every bit as good as the best HD DVDs and BDs I have seen so far. Check out the Shrek 3 and Smokin Aces trailers in particular for some real eye candy!

·
Registered
3,830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattalgrand /forum/post/0

It seems that Apple HD Movie Trailers at 1080p on my 32'' LCD through DVI look crisper and more HD poppier than HD DVD at 1080i on my Mits 1080p 65831 through HDMI.

I'm guessing one doesn't look better than the other, rather that because the 32'' LCD is smaller, my eyes are able to focus on and fully take in the entire HD picture.

Just wondering if anybody else noticed this.

i looked at a few a while ago. they seemed to generally be extremely sharp, sharper feeling than some HD DVD. but they were prone to massive banding and at times massive blocking in the sky too and other artifacts.

·
Registered
222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyMeister /forum/post/0

Why is this thread even exist????????????????????

More ******** posts, mods apparently won't do anything about. Every ******* that posts something about how HD-DVD is inferior in this area should just start getting banned. Period.

It's the same people over and over again. It's not like it's "Hey I'm having this problem here guys, what could be the reason?" It's just bitching about stuff that isnt' even remotely true if you have an ounce of knowledge trying to dig into HD-DVD. It's not allowed in the Blu-Ray area, it shouldn't be allowed here.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sir Zappa: Everything's going to be alright. It's just a thread. It's just the internet. Take a chiiillll, toke a reefer, relaaaaaaax. It's all good. Think about it.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
The only HD I saw for a long time was on my 61" screen. One day I was in BB and started looking at some of the 32" LCDs and was surprised by how great the HD looked even though it was split a ton of times. I wondered over to the big screen section and it wasn't nearly as sharp because it was so much bigger.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.