AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this post has been discussed before, but I think we finally have a viable HTPC from apple. The new OS 10.2 supports native DD5.1 and the new high end notebooks and desktops use the Radeon 9000 video cards with DVI output. I am planning to get the new 1 GHz powerbook G4 with DVD-R superdrive and use the M-audio sonica for digital audio output. If anyone has any thoughts regarding this configuration I would welcome them as I am very new to apple computers.

·
Registered
776 Posts
One of the problems with Apples in the past was custom resolutions. Can you customize the resolutions (ie widescreen SDTV and HDTV resolutions) with the new Apples?

hjackson

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are multiple resolutions available, however, I do not know if the new apples allow for customization. This was one of the questions I wasn't able to find out, as none of the apple reps knew. If anyone else knows I'd be very interested to hear it. However, I'll probably just run it at 1024x768 as that's the native rate of my projector.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
This was discussed in the last Apple HTPC thread. Nothing new has really come up :)

Jaguar added support for multiple audio channels, not explicitly DD5.1. There still isn't widely available hardware (M-Audio revolution is viable right now though) from Apple since they are supporting a proprietary digital port for their speakers.

For custom resolutions, there is software out there that gives you some functionality. The name was SwitchRes I believe and it is documented in one of those Apple HTPC threads.

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
Hey,

It's great that Apple is getting around to supporting DD (maybe even DTS.) But, that's only the beginning.

For apple to compete with the wintel platform with HTPC they need powerfull software like Zoomplayer, Dscaler, Girder, Powerstrip, and Region Killer. It also doesn't hurt that 4 out of 5 of those are freeware.

Good Luck,

Brian

·
Registered
348 Posts
What is Girder?

Where do I find Region Killer?

I supposed that Zoomplayer isn’t a freeware?

Tx in advance, sorry for the intrusion.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
 Girder is software for automating your PC.

Region Killier is one of many pieces of software that lets you play DVDs from diffferent regions. Some people need it, others do not. Just search Google for it.

Zoomplayer is available for download, but the author asks for donations if you decide to use it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Thanx for this valuable info.

But Region Killer doesn’t work for me. I got a Japanese DVD and it still tells me that I cannot play it.

I use PowerDVD, does ZoomPlayer has any advantages over it?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Apple's DVD Player doesn't pass on the 5.1 audio. You need to get the special build of vlc (version 0.4.3 AC3). That will allow you to play DVD's through your Sonica.

I don't have a link handy (search function appears to be out), but you should be able to find it on MAudio's site.

I run a G4 dual/500 to my FP and it works pretty well. I just feed my PJ 1024x768 @60Hz.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Finally, I found something that « works », its DVD Region-Free, but the only problem is that I have to PAY to have the full version.

DVD-Genie does not work.

DVD-Region killer does not work.

Updating the firmware does not work (see attachment).

DVD-Genie and DVD-Region killer says that my DVD-ROM drive is region locked, 2 other utilities says that it isnt.

Really Im confused...

Note: I use:

WinXP Pro SP1

Pioneer DVD-106S

PowerDVD

Any help will be very appreciated, thanx.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm not sure you can run that utility from a command prompt. You need to boot to real mode DOS. Since you have XP, that could be difficult. Get someone with a Win9X machine to make you a boot floppy. Copy the upgrade files to it, and boot from the floppy. That should work much better.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Quote:
Note: I use:

WinXP Pro SP1

Pioneer DVD-106S

PowerDVD
How did we get off the Apple topic? Its bad enough that we poor Mac *******s drool everytime we see a potential post in a HTMac thread, but when they start getting hijacked by Windows questions its enough to make a guy cry... :(

:b

·
Registered
584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by avdoc
I know this post has been discussed before, but I think we finally have a viable HTPC from apple. The new OS 10.2 supports native DD5.1 and the new high end notebooks and desktops use the Radeon 9000 video cards with DVI output. I am planning to get the new 1 GHz powerbook G4 with DVD-R superdrive and use the M-audio sonica for digital audio output. If anyone has any thoughts regarding this configuration I would welcome them as I am very new to apple computers.
It's not about the OS, and it never should be. Where are the apps?

Kevin

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Region Free DVD and remote options really have never been that big a problem on my Macs.

Region X and AppleScript/QuickKeysX/Tonto/KeySpan Media Remote/RF Keyboards/etc will do basically anything you need. Anybody using Speech instead? It actually works fairly well in X, just hope some actor doesn't say "Quit this Application" :D

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Quote:
It's not about the OS, and it never should be. Where are the apps?
Its about the OS when I feel dirty everytime I use windows.. :)

Anyway, a Mac with a projector in combination with a M-audio Sonica should work great. I worry though that DVD players in the Mac to not take advantage of the DVD hardware acceleration in Radeon chips but I have not seen specs that affirm or deny this.

I would be interested in a PQ comparison between a good PC player (TT) and the Mac DVD players.

Regardless, powerbooks and ibooks are the best portable DVD players. With their stupendous screens and good battery life it beats any similarly priced Wintel laptop. Add to this no fans and warm (not scalding) bottoms...

And as usual us keepers of the faith can wait for the HDMac that may be announced any time...

Cheers,

·
Registered
Onkyo TX-NR5009, AppleTV 4K, Sony KDL-55W900A, M&K s-125 lcr, M&K SS-150 surround, SVS 16-46pci sub
785 Posts
Well You must download a region free Firmware (I have one for my 303S that works fine but you will need to make a DOS boot disk to flash it. Along with this and DVD Region Killer you can change regions and play other region DVD's. Girder is a program that along with an IR input will allow you to use a remote to control your HTPC

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I'd say that the Mac has a long uphill battle in the HTPC market. Mac's problem has always been that they are so proprietary and expensive. If I have a rock solid HTPC that cost

·
Registered
348 Posts
Ok thanx for the help about firmware guys, I’ll try from DOS.

Now I won't disturb your MAC discussion anymore, sorry about that...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.