AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been various coverage and speculation about the new device that apple is to launch next Tuesday (somewhat conveniently timed to be 2 days before the xp launch ;) )

Could this be the initative that brings the mac up the curve as far as use as a HTPC ? The speculation I have read is almost evenly divided between it being a PDA and some sort of digital music device, with plenty of wish lists being offered (ie. "i reckon it will have DVD-RW, HDTV tuning, PVR functionality etc")

I have been a reader of this forum for a while and share the view that a mac should (although probably doesn't) make a great HTPC.

The great thing that I could see would be a multi-room audio (or video) device that runs wirelessly through the Airport. That is something like the Audiotron from Turtle Beach but wireless. Then the mac could run multi-room music distribution to the particular device with a small lcd screen running a simplified version of iTunes). Where you go from there is anyone's guess and the imagination could run wild...

I am interested in people's thoughts....

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I am really sick of putting up with M$ crap for my HTPC. If I could make my Mac the center of my HTPC I'd be happy as a fish.

Cheers,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So much for the speculation (and before anyone flames me, yes I realise that this thread is no longer relevant to this part of the forum).

But what a let down. I suppose the average punter like me was getting a bit carried away on what could realistically be achieved in a production version of a device which could economically viable for Apple and massively appealing to the technologically minded... Oh well.

The real point I want to make is that I think the iPod will be a dud. Who needs 5GB in their pocket ? They are claiming that this equates to 1,000 songs... but why do you need 1,000 songs on your portable device when you can only listen to about 40 in the available charge ? And isn't the whole thing about mp3 players the ability to access music (ripping your own cd's of course, as nobody downloads music from the net these days :p) and load them into your handheld as a few choice tracks to brighten your day while you commute, workout or wonder around. People don't listen to walkman's/mp3 players all day every day.

You would conceivably need a couple of alternative play lists depending on your mood, but 1,000 songs, who are they kidding. The only feature I think is a real advancement is putting firewire into a mp3 player to shorten the download / ripping times.

The other thing is the price $399, which is way overs in my view, particularly when you could get a combination mp3/pda for not a lot more, say for example the new model Sony CLIE w/ a built in mp3 at $499. If you added a fat memory stick, say 128mb you would have enough memory for a couple of playlists and have a slick pda to match... now if they only sold them Australia I would be set....arrrgh :( :(

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
It's not a total dud. I'm planning on getting one because I need the multifunction it offers.

I need to spend many hours studying in Med School and with 10 hours of battery life I can listen to about 120 - 5 minute songs without charging. Plus I can "quick charge" it during lunch and get 8 hours more if need be.

It can function as a portable 5 GB Firewire drive as well. I can bring the drive home with me, listen to music on the plane, and have all the data needed to update my parents computer in no time flat when I visit. No more CDs of data and music to bring with me at a time when suddenly carry on space is becoming an issue. If it was USB this thing is worthless to me for time considerations, but with Firewire that issue is eliminated.

I probably spent $200 or so in batteries this year and was already looking at the Rio's already so I guess they got me at the right time.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
It is a shame that all of Apple's stuff is tied down by the fact that they also make an OS. I would buy one of these puppies if it ran on windows.

-Steve

·
Registered
379 Posts
Windows support is coming early next year.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I think Apple in their initial releases targets people that will pay a premium for the absolute best. In this case the iPod for MP3 players.

I own an AJ6K but I would pay twice what I paid, for:

- Firewire connectivity that charges.

- Synchronization of songs AND playlists with iTunes (also, arguably the best MP3 player).

- The best interface and LCD of ANY MP3 player.

- The battery life on Li-polymer.

It is actually a breakthrough price. The internal hard drive is the Toshiba ultraslim 5GB PC card drive. The drive by itself is listed on the Toshiba website for $399!!!

And yes, there are forums just like this one for people who want GBs of MP3s in their MP3 players (funmp3players.com).

Anybody wants by AJB6K?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.