AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/01...time/index.php

Quote:
Case in point: Both sides in the ongoing DVD format warBlu-ray and HD DVDhave adopted QuickTime and H.264. So while Apple may hold a seat on the Blu-Ray Disc Association's Board of Directors, it sees the format fight as a win-win situation for its technology.

We are part of both of those technologies and are happy, regardless of the outcome, that H.264 is part of the overall equation, Casanova said.

Not much has changed. Apple has always been neutral in the format war but I've heard people say that the press release where they claim neutrality was old and thus suspect. Well here is more proof that Apple is not going push one format over the other. Mac HD DVD fans rejoice because you will be supported despite what others have told you.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison /forum/post/0

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/01...time/index.php

Not much has changed. Apple has always been neutral in the format war but I've heard people say that the press release where they claim neutrality was old and thus suspect. Well here is more proof that Apple is not going push one format over the other. Mac HD DVD fans rejoice because you will be supported despite what others have told you.

While H.264 is on both formats, I am seeing more and more disks are being released in VC1 rather than H.264 citing that tools for H.264 are not mature yet. This must be a fear for Apple! Also, once Apple supports HD-DVD, Bluray playback - they will have to support VC1 since it is a supported codec.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
So when is Apple going to finally deliver the home theater/media server PC that anyone can use, so HTPC isn't the exclusive domain of people who are willing to do their own system and figure out how to get everything to play nice together, and finally getting the PC into the living room like everyone has predicted for ages?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_ /forum/post/0

So when is Apple going to finally deliver the home theater/media server PC that anyone can use?

They already have, at least the first iteration of it. It's called Apple TV. It can access all of your media from any computer in the house. It has an optical audio output and a 720p HDMI output.

I'm convinced that Apple will eventually offer HD movies through the iTunes store. They already offer lower res movies now that look good on the iPod and iPhone. HD can't be far behind, especially since you can already download HD movie trailers.

·
Registered
8,364 Posts
As expected, AppleInsider is reporting that DVD Player.app has been overhauled in Leopard.

However, so far there doesn't seem to be any support for DRM'd HD DVD or Blu-ray yet. (Tiger's DVD Player.app has support for non-DRM'd HD DVD with MPEG2 or AVC on DVD-9.)

·
Registered
680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimV /forum/post/0

They already have, at least the first iteration of it. It's called Apple TV. It can access all of your media from any computer in the house. It has an optical audio output and a 720p HDMI output.

I'm convinced that Apple will eventually offer HD movies through the iTunes store. They already offer lower res movies now that look good on the iPod and iPhone. HD can't be far behind, especially since you can already download HD movie trailers.

I wonder what kind of effect HD movies on iTunes will have on Blu-ray and HD-DVD.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd utilize a 720p download in a pinch if I needed to but I'm not keen on supplanting discs with downloads. My broadband simply isn't that good.

I think Apple is just entering the fray here with Apple TV. I doubt they'll make a whole HTPC which sucks because I'd love to see an Apple OS X Media Centre.

I do know that the next Apple Cinema Displays are going to need HDCP support. And I do hope that DVD Player 5.0 coming in Leopard has some nifty thing in it for playback.

·
Registered
8,364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith75 /forum/post/0

I wonder what kind of effect HD movies on iTunes will have on Blu-ray and HD-DVD.

Probably not much at all in the near term.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.