Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.macrumors.com/2008/06/26/...nd-ipod-touch/

Mention of this free soon to be released app was found in the Read-ME of iTunes 7.7 seeded to devs so it looks legit.

Quote:
Use iTunes 7.7 to sync music, video, and more with iPhone 3G, and download applications from the iTunes Store exclusively designed for iPhone and iPod touch with software version 2.0 or later. Also use the new Remote application for iPhone or iPod touch to control iTunes playback from anywhere in your home -- a free download from the App Store.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
This is a very exciting development, as it will set a minimum standard for third party remote developers, and will hopefully push this segment to the forefront (and also discourage vendors from charging $100+ for just remote software).

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Gentlemen, I've modified the title of this thread as this is still a rumour. Please let's keep this in perspective until or if this becomes official news. It is less than two weeks until we should know one way or another.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Plus, it's just a remote for iTunes. While it is cool, it won't discourage anyone from charging $100+ for more full-featured remote control apps.

·
Registered
225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Further /forum/post/14170648

Gentlemen, I've modified the title of this thread as this is still a rumour. Please let's keep this in perspective until or if this becomes official news. It is less than two weeks until we should know one way or another.

I think something that gets displayed in the iTunes software installers readme dialog box is just a pinch past 'just a rumor'... If reading something written directly by the company isn't proof enough then I don't know what would satisfy as proof...

Dave

P.S. Rumor has it that tomorrow for most parts of the world will be a SATURDAY! You heard it here first... :lol:

·
Registered
2,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee /forum/post/14171354

I think something that gets displayed in the iTunes software installers readme dialog box is just a pinch past 'just a rumor'... If reading something written directly by the company isn't proof enough then I don't know what would satisfy as proof...

Dave

P.S. Rumor has it that tomorrow for most parts of the world will be a SATURDAY! You heard it here first... :lol:

Apple has been known to pull known and advertised features before. And since this is something issued to developers only and NOT announced yet, it is only a rumor for now.

·
Registered
225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejokell /forum/post/14170929

Plus, it's just a remote for iTunes. While it is cool, it won't discourage anyone from charging $100+ for more full-featured remote control apps.

Yep... while very encouraging... cause I just know an iTunes remote with the classic Apple UI and design thoughtfulness will kick just about anything else to the curb... it's discouraging because Apple is not (I don't think) about to take on the high-end remote control world and build an 'all in one' remote control solution nor make the iTunes remote in any way 'plug-in' accessible where developers could add on their own device control as they wish (certainly doesn't sound like Apple anyway).

So while on one hand I'd betting that I'd like to use the Apple remote software for iTunes I'd still have to use something else for 'everything else' and then what? Keep switching back and forth between two (or more) different remote applications?! I dunno.... maybe it'll work but I don't see it...

Dave

·
Registered
225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejokell /forum/post/14171390

Apple has been known to pull known and advertised features before. And since this is something issued to developers only and NOT announced yet, it is only a rumor for now.

But the fact is the software is not a rumor Apple's own writing proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is a real tangible piece of software ... The only dispute is if Apple chooses to make the software available and if so will it be free... and ... after rereading the subject yea I guess the subject is correctly worded.. :shrug:

Dave

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee /forum/post/14171354

I think something that gets displayed in the iTunes software installers readme dialog box is just a pinch past 'just a rumor'.

And have you seen the iTunes software installers readme yourself? How do you then know what it says there?

·
Registered
2,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee /forum/post/14171427

Yep... while very encouraging... cause I just know an iTunes remote with the classic Apple UI and design thoughtfulness will kick just about anything else to the curb... it's discouraging because Apple is not (I don't think) about to take on the high-end remote control world and build an 'all in one' remote control solution nor make the iTunes remote in any way 'plug-in' accessible where developers could add on their own device control as they wish (certainly doesn't sound like Apple anyway).

So while on one hand I'd betting that I'd like to use the Apple remote software for iTunes I'd still have to use something else for 'everything else' and then what? Keep switching back and forth between two (or more) different remote applications?! I dunno.... maybe it'll work but I don't see it...

Dave

The problem is that the iPhone has no way to communicate with other HT equipment. They would have to also sell an interface box (wifi to IR/RF) to even get it to work. It's just not worth it for a company who sells things that "just work".

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts

Quote:
Apple has been known to pull known and advertised features before

Yes indeed.

Quote:
Mention of this free soon to be released app was found in the Read-Me of iTunes 7.7 seeded to devs so it looks legit

I hope this turns out to be legit, but I was one of those who got all excited when reading that the Leopard developer seeds had something called Time Machine backup and that it was enabled to USB hard drives plugged into an Airport Extreme basestation. Then, the bait and switch: this functionality was removed when Leopard actually shipped and, lo and behold, 2 months later we hear about a new Apple product called Time Capsule. It was another 2 months for an update which finally allowed Time Machine to work with the Airport Extreme.

·
Registered
225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Further /forum/post/14171657

And have you seen the iTunes software installers readme yourself? How do you then know what it says there?

You wouldn't happen to be an Apple Lawyer in disguise now would you?!?!

Okay... its a rumor... the iPhone 2.0 is a rumor... the Firmware 2.0 is a rumor the Apple App store... RUMOR!! After all none of these are out either and we all know Apple can and does pull features all the time until they see the light of day... ALL OF THE UNSUBSTANTIATED RUMORS! And __CLEARLY__ has no business being discussed!

No skin off my teeth...

Dave

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
OK, I see that this cannot be discussed in a reasonable way so I'm closing the thread for now. After an announcement, assuming there is something further to be discussed, I'll reopen the thread.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.