AVS Forum banner

801 - 820 of 846 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Well, it was an app-related issue for the Criterion Channel app. Every movie and video on the app would skip frames every 7 seconds. They finally fixed it in an app update about 5 months ago. And for Prime, I find it very odd that I had never had the issue before the last couple months, and now it happens more often than not.

I know it only happens with certain titles on Netflix, though.
The frame drops that result from the problem described here will happen about every 40 seconds. That’s the time the mismatch between 23.976 and 24 fps becomes as big as one whole frame, so ATV skips it to keep audio and video in sync.

I’m pretty sure that almost all Amazon Original shows will be using 23.976fps, so you won’t see the issue there. But apart from that I had some problems with choppy video playback in the Prime Video app during the tvOS 14 beta phase. I had to delete and reinstall the app to solve this. So you might give this a try if the drops happen more frequently.

·
Registered
213 Posts
BTW, i just wanted to point out that in windows 23p is 23.976 (24/1.001) and 24p is 24.000 so is 119 and 120. Looks like there is no info here, but look here, nice! Timecode 2:09. This video reminded me how it is done with my LG C9))

·
Registered
216 Posts
BTW, Status of Dolby Vision raised blacks issue on OLEDS apparently this issue is not the only one, black levels are also broken in Dolby Vision... Wow. I though about buying Apple 4k, that is why I was commenting here, but now... Apparently no.
Regarding raised black levels you may find this post interesting:
Something interesting I discovered today. I recently bought one of the Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapters for my 2018 iPad Pro, and I found out that when plugged into a TV, it supports frame rate and dynamic range switching up to 4K60 Dolby Vision. Well, I was curious, so I plugged it into my LG C9, and lo and behold it does NOT exhibit raised black levels when playing back Dolby Vision content like the Apple TV 4K does. The black bars were pitch black when playing content that I know causes raised black levels on the Apple TV 4K. Hopefully, this is a sign of good things to come for the 6th Gen Apple TV, which is supposed to be running off of the same chipset as the 2018 iPad Pro, the A12X. The iPad Pro still outputs 24.000 content at 23.976, so not all is fixed with it though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
After its latest Emmy wins, I decided to get back into Schitt’s Creek. I started season 2 episode 2 in the U.S. Amazon Prime Video app, and I’m pretty sure I was getting consistent frame skipping. I then watched the rest of the episode in the CW Seed app (refresh rate manually set to the Apple TV 24Hz since CW Seed doesn’t support auto switching), and I did NOT notice any skipping. So it seems like it might be the case that Amazon is streaming it at 24.0fps, while CW Seed is streaming it at 23.976fps. It might be a good idea for someone else to confirm this, before adding it to the list, since I was just doing it by eye.

9/28 edit: I tested on my Nvidia Shield at both 23.976Hz and 24.0Hz, and Schitt's Creek on the Prime Video app is actually skipping with both of those refresh rates. In a scenario like this, I guess the issue is that the encodings are just bad.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Has anybody already tried to contact one of the tvOS team members I found on social media?

These guys are Apple employees working as tvOS engineers. So if someone could send them a link to this thread and ask them why Apple doesn’t (want?) to fix this, maybe we would get some kind of reaction.
Unfortunately I don't have twitter or Facebook. But may somebody else try this? Also my English is way too bad to explain this issue to him, I think a native speaker would do much better.

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Thanks for sending out that tweet. And for creating an account here to let us know about it. (y)

I’m very curious if there will be an answer. I think it would be great to get in contact with somebody who is directly involved in tvOS development. So we could raise some attention for this issue or at least have a definitive statement that there will be no fix for this.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ok guys as utopia as it seems. tvOS 1.0.1 just arrived. Has somebody already installed but and tested it? 24hz issue still present?
OMG ... has Apple downgraded tvOS to version 1.0.1? 😱😜

Just kidding... of course you mean 14.0.1, which is just a small and quick bugfix release for the bugs that made it into the final release of 14. So of course the issue is still present.

It would be more interesting to know if something changed with the already available public beta of tvOS 14.2 (and why Apple seems to have skipped tvOS 14.1 in the beta phase).

·
Registered
216 Posts
Has somebody already tested the beta of TVOS 14.2? I mean we have a lot of public beta testers here...
Personally I won’t do betas anymore because the chance for a fix is too small to risk issues with the betas (14.2 breaks Atmos globally for example).

But you don’t have to be on the beta channel to feel like a beta tester at the moment: Netflix broke 5.1/Atmos audio with their last update recently, so the app delivers only stereo at the moment. And although there was a YouTube app update a few days ago, there is still no 4K support. Not to mention the Amazon Music app that is broken completely at the moment and in the Prime Video app you can’t bring up the X-Ray info screen, because the app doesn’t regognize swiping up anymore since the update to tvOS 14.

You would think that big players like Netflix, YouTube and Amazon would test and prepare their apps before an upcoming tvOS version and have their updates ready when the final version arrives. But obviously this is not the case.

And of course there is still this annoying 24Hz issue that will probably never be fixed. It’s great to be an ATV owner nowadays.

And sorry for the rant. ;)

·
Registered
216 Posts
So it seems we won’t get a reaction from our Apple guys ... not that I expected one.

I’m really out of ideas now ... I think we have done all we can. And it’s such a shame that nobody from Apple has at least the guts to tell us that a fix for this will never come.

Instead the Apple TV app will also be available on XBox soon.
Spreading the TV app across all platforms I think it’s quite obvious that Apple doesn’t care about its own streaming device anymore. Maybe there will be another ATV with upgraded hardware. But the lack of innovation regarding tvOS and there unwillingness to fix issues like this makes me think that Apple TV as a hardware platform is about to die soon.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Does the Apple TV app on other devices support Dolby Atmos? From what I've seen, it looks like it's Dolby Digital only, not Dolby Digital+, which would also support Atmos.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Does the Apple TV app on other devices support Dolby Atmos? From what I've seen, it looks like it's Dolby Digital only, not Dolby Digital+, which would also support Atmos.
Depends on the device ... I know that the current version on LG TVs now supports Atmos.
But even if the initial version on some devices won’t ... I’m pretty sure Apple will add support for it if the device can handle it. Getting their app on all devices and platforms at least seems to have a much higher priority now than tvOS or ATV in general.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Thanks. Didn't want to steer the discussion away from the main issue of the hardware faults, but also was interested in knowing if one could watch in highest quality on other devices if the Apple TV is abandoned.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Sabrina launch today was disappointing. No Android TV 11 yet. Even Stadia is delayed and no confirmation of HDMI 2.1 compatibilities like the developer edition.

So I'm waiting on more info. I'll stick with my ATV4K for now. Hoping for some better framerate matching news on some device soon. Maybe one of these threads will keep me updated?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

801 - 820 of 846 Posts