AVS Forum banner

841 - 846 of 846 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
23.976 as 23 is very bad math
The first is also wrong, the accurate are 24/1.001, 60/1.001, 120/1.001. So... Of course they will not do it. Again, in new modern Settings Windows 10 menu 120.000 and 119.88 are presented as such. Why in old "device manager" menu it is presented as 119 for 119.88 and 120 for 120.000. That is good enough. The point here is that Windows 10 cannot really change framerate automatically (unless you use nirsoft utility and some lua scripts), but mpv does support G-SYNC and thus this problem is obsolete there. 23.976 and 24.000 will be mutiplied and showed on G-sync display.

·
Registered
216 Posts
So looks like the new Roku Ultra and new Chrome Cast (mostly) don’t support integer frame rates either. Oh well!
Are you sure about the new Roku? As far as I know it was just the other way around on the old Rokus than on ATV: the Roku devices only supported the integer 24Hz but not 23.976Hz. But I guess the 60Hz mode is probably also actually the non-integer 59.940Hz.

And I don't think that this situation will ever change in the future. Most people are fine with watching everything at fixed 60Hz (with frame rate conversion). And because they are so used to it and don't even know the difference of how smooth things can look when watching stuff at native frame rates, they will never complain about this. So the industry will continue to just ignore this (and us).

So there is little reason to be optimistic for the release of the new ATV ... if it will ever arrive.

·
Registered
216 Posts
So to answer my own question I looked at some of the latest posts in the Roku thread, and the new Roku Ultra (in contrary to the previous devices) now really does 23.976Hz, but now it lacks support for integer 24Hz! But regarding the 24fps Netflix original stuff it doesn't really matter as frame rate matching is disabled for Neflix on the Roku anyway.

So if someone thought about getting the new Roku for integer 24Hz support to companion the ATV ... don't do it. And I'm so glad that I still have my old Shield TV sitting around.

841 - 846 of 846 Posts