AVS Forum banner

1321 - 1340 of 1403 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,321 ·
It’s still missing. There was no change between current and the previous beta in this regard.

The beta 5 is still not called “release candidate” ... so things might change. But I doubt it. Maybe after the public release when more people will notice the missing 24Hz option and complain about, Apple might reconsider their decision.
Or they might do a 180 and remove all the integer rates again... I wouldn’t rule out anything with them...

·
Registered
537 Posts
I'll have my frontal cortex media player implant by the time that happens.
Well, I thought the same about the fix for the original issue. And the 24Hz option missing in the menu is evident for everyone. In contrast to the original issue where many people didn't even understand the problem. So I think that there might be a chance that they will add 24Hz back one time.

Or they might do a 180 and remove all the integer rates again... I wouldn’t rule out anything with them...
But why should they do it? As we can see most websites don't notice and mention the addition of integer rates. So most people using the ATV won't even notice the change. As Apple also hides the integer rates in the settings and doesn't even mention the addition in the changelog for developers. But of course you could also say that by doing that it's also more easy for them to just take them away again. But although being a very pessimistic person in general, I'm confident that the integer rates will stay. In rare cases things can also get better sometimes. :)

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,323 ·
It’s Apple, that’s why ;)
It took them two years to add the integer rates, which are a no brainer to add in the first place.
Nevertheless once 14.5 is out I will disable automatic updates and check this thread to be sure they didnt mess up anything with updates.

·
Registered
537 Posts
It’s Apple, that’s why ;)
It took them two years to add the integer rates, which are a no brainer to add in the first place.
And because it took them years to finally change their mind and add integer rates, I hope they will be just as stubborn now about keeping them. So I think we should be safe for a while now. ;)

But yes ... no more updates before coming here to see if everything is still fine. :)

·
Registered
491 Posts
so I have been subbed to this thread for a while and merely lurked without really having anything to add to the conversation but I....I am still kind of in disbelief that they actually finally fixed this...

·
Registered
40 Posts
so I have been subbed to this thread for a while and merely lurked without really having anything to add to the conversation but I....I am still kind of in disbelief that they actually finally fixed this...
I think the only reason they fixed it is because of AppleTV+. They realised their own streaming device couldn’t output their own content in it’s original frame rate.

So if you think about it, this was actually bound to happen ever since they announced the launch of AppleTV+.

So even though ATV+ is the worst streaming service out there, at least it was good for something! :)

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,328 ·
Is there any pure 24.000hz Apple TV content? Everything I’ve watched has been 23.976hz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven't seen any. Everything seems to be in 23.976.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Just trying to figure out what motivated them to make the change after almost 4 years, that’s all! :)
They likely got to it when reviewing the feature set they want to support for the new Apple TV device.

They may have known about it for awhile but with software development you often need a good justification to prioritize the work. This finally made it to the top.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I remember when @Jesse Coane was told by someone from Apple support that the issue is on their radar and that tvOS14 might include a fix for it. And of course we were all very disappointed when tvOS14 was out and the issue was still there. So now we are seeing this fixed with 14.5, which should be the last point release for tvOS14. So you might say that Apple actually delivered. ;)

That they are doing it now could really be related to a new ATV that might be just around the corner. I was wrong in this so many times now, but I could imagine that we are seeing an Apple event in the next weeks where they will show the new model and release 14.5 to the public.

I also have to admit that if the fix would have been exclusive to the upcoming model, it would have been reason enough for me to go out and get it. So I'm very happy now that they are also providing the fix for the current and even the previous generation model. :)

·
Registered
549 Posts
Do people not use the reverse 3:2 pulldown feature on their tv’s? I use it on my Bravia and it works great. Am I missing something?
No, this is not what the issue is.

·
Registered
40 Posts
No, this is not what the issue is.
I’m aware. I’m just wondering why wouldn’t you just keep the current box even if it didn’t get the update over going out and buying a new box just for this feature specifically.

Is letting the TV handle the motion frowned upon? Even the 41 second stutter by setting the current ATV to 24hz is only noticeable in panning shots so you’ll notice it maybe a couple of times during a movie.

Is the reverse 3:2 pull down feature not favored at all? Just a general question.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I’m aware. I’m just wondering why wouldn’t you just keep the current box even if it didn’t get the update over going out and buying a new box just for this feature specifically.
I would have bought the new version, specifically for this issue too.

I'd like a second AppleTV for the TV in our dining room but I refuse to buy another when a new version might be around the corner.

Is letting the TV handle the motion frowned upon? Even the 41 second stutter by setting the current ATV to 24hz is only noticeable in panning shots so you’ll notice it maybe a couple of times during a movie.
The TV can't handle the motion if the Apple TV screws it up before it gets to the TV.

Maybe you don't notice it other than a couple of times during a movie, I occasionally don't notice it, once of twice in a TV show, I can't bear watching a whole movie when it's hic ccuu pping like that, every single minute.

Is the reverse 3:2 pull down feature not favored at all? Just a general question.
That's another level of hiccuping on top of the 24 23.976 mismatch, some TVs remove the 3:2 pulldown completely, many do not do it well or at all.

As mentioned above, this is not the same thing as 24, 23.976 mismatch, it is sort of related in that the AppleTV has to change screen mode to support it correctly but otherwise, not the same issue.

1321 - 1340 of 1403 Posts