AVS Forum banner

1341 - 1360 of 1403 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would have bought the new version, specifically for this issue too.

I'd like a second AppleTV for the TV in our dining room but I refuse to buy another when a new version might be around the corner.

The TV can't handle the motion if the Apple TV screws it up before it gets to the TV.

Maybe you don't notice it other than a couple of times during a movie, I occasionally don't notice it, once of twice in a TV show, I can't bear watching a whole movie when it's hic ccuu pping like that, every single minute.

That's another level of hiccuping on top of the 24 23.976 mismatch, some TVs remove the 3:2 pulldown completely, many do not do it well or at all.

As mentioned above, this is not the same thing as 24, 23.976 mismatch, it is sort of related in that the AppleTV has to change screen mode to support it correctly but otherwise, not the same issue.
Thank you for explaining! Sorry I’m new to this. :)

·
Registered
537 Posts
Thank you for explaining! Sorry I’m new to this. :)
And then there is also 25/50fps content out there where 3:2 pulldown doesn't work, so it will look terrible on 60Hz (at least to my eyes). :)

But of course most people are just fine with watching everything at fixed 60Hz with frame rate conversion. And I guess that’s why it was such a long way to go until Apple will finally fix this.

In the end it's just a matter of personal sensitivity and/or the capability of your display to hide those issues. But feeding content to your display so it is as "native" as possible should always be favored in my opinion. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Beta 6 is out ... 24Hz option is still missing.
Ironically this issue is probably a bigger issue for me than the lack of 24.0Hz support. Assuming this behavior is here to stay for now, I'm still debating whether or not to upgrade to 14.5. Now if I upgrade to 14.5, I'm potentially going to be forced to use my Nvidia Shield even more. The biggest driver of this at the moment for me is the CW and CW Seed apps. Even worse, for some reason the CW and CW Seed apps are currently streaming the altered version of their scripted shows at 29.97fps on the Nvidia Shield, even though they're streaming them at their native 23.976fps (without supporting auto refresh rate switching) on the Apple TV. So if I upgrade to 14.5, I won't be able to watch CW/CW Seed scripted shows anywhere for free (legally) at 23.976fps/23.976Hz.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Ironically this issue is probably a bigger issue for me than the lack of 24.0Hz support. Assuming this behavior is here to stay for now, I'm still debating whether or not to upgrade to 14.5. Now if I upgrade to 14.5, I'm potentially going to be forced to use my Nvidia Shield even more. The biggest driver of this at the moment for me is the CW and CW Seed apps. Even worse, for some reason the CW and CW Seed apps are currently streaming the altered version of their scripted shows at 29.97fps on the Nvidia Shield, even though they're streaming them at their native 23.976fps (without supporting auto refresh rate switching) on the Apple TV. So if I upgrade to 14.5, I won't be able to watch CW/CW Seed scripted shows anywhere for free (legally) at 23.976fps/23.976Hz.
Unfortunately I’m pretty sure that this is how tvOS 14.5 will be released. It’s really a shame that they will disappoint people again. By adding one thing, but taking away another thing for no apparent reason.

So at the moment I would think that contacting CW and ask them to add support for the match frame rate feature on ATV, is probably more promising.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Beta 6 is out ... 24Hz option is still missing.
Ironically this issue is probably a bigger issue for me than the lack of 24.0Hz support.
I'm very sorry for my stupidity (or lack of knowledge) and please explain me the difference. I'm a person who was so happy hearing about adding 24.000 support and possibility to see my European movies collection from NAS without stuttering with AFR, and now what "24Hz option" is missing? Again excuse my lack of understanding :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm very sorry for my stupidity (or lack of knowledge) and please explain me the difference. I'm a person who was so happy hearing about adding 24.000 support and possibility to see my European movies collection from NAS without stuttering with AFR, and now what "24Hz option" is missing? Again excuse my lack of understanding :)
You can only use the 24Hz option when the Match Framerate option is ON. 24Hz is missing in parentheses under resolution. So you can’t manually set the whole UI to 24 Hz anymore.

·
aka jfinnie
5,236 Posts
It is unfortunate the option has been taken away, but I think the answer there is to lobby the app maker to make auto refresh rate switching work properly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It is unfortunate the option has been taken away, but I think the answer there is to lobby the app maker to make auto refresh rate switching work properly.
Agreed. Why are we pretending this is Apple’s fault because an individual app developer has chosen to not make its own content available at its original frame rate?

·
aka jfinnie
5,236 Posts
Agreed. Why are we pretending this is Apple’s fault because an individual app developer has chosen to not make its own content available at its original frame rate?
I think it's even dumber; if switching to the correct frame rate for the content works, then all it seems is they haven't satisfied the requirements to allow framerate switching to work. SO all they have to do is send the correct frame rate detail for the content in the HLS playlist if I recall correctly, or not disable auto frame rate (they might have just chosen to disable it!)

·
Registered
537 Posts
It's not Apple's fault if an app doesn't support the match frame rate feature. But it's Apple that has decided to remove the 24Hz option in the display settings with tvOS 14.5 ... which was there in all previous versions. I just can see no logical reason behind this decision. They still show the 25Hz and 30Hz options. So it makes not much sense not me.

Of course Apple can't force the app developers to support the match feature. But they could just show all available display modes in the display settings, so we could also set them manually in that case. Nvidia is doing this on Shield TV. Apple could just hide them in the "other formats" sub menu, so the majority of users won't even notice them. But it's Apple ... they do things their way. So as I said: Trying to convince app developers to implement the feature is probably the more promising way to go here.

·
Registered
26 Posts
they could just show all available display modes in the display settings, so we could also set them manually in that case.
The wireless audio sync calibration is useless for any for any display mode you can’t select from settings, or rather you can’t calibrate a display mode that can’t be selected in settings. You can calibrate it for SDR 60hz, but that doesn’t work for any other display mode unless you calibrate each one individually.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Talking about apps that do not support automatic frame rate switching, do you guys think YouTube will ever support this? It’s one of, if not the, most used streaming apps on my ATV. It’s so frustrating.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Talking about apps that do not support automatic frame rate switching, do you guys think YouTube will ever support this? It’s one of, if not the, most used streaming apps on my ATV. It’s so frustrating.
I agree. The YouTube app is garbage, especially on ATV. And in my opinion the rollout of the new UI has made things even worse. And the lack of frame rate matching is really frustrating as you come across all possible frame rates on YT because of the great amount of user generated content.

But I don’t think they will ever support it. They don’t really make system native apps. Instead the YT app is basically just a shortcut to their TVHTML interface. So it’s more like opening and moving around on a webpage. In general ATV seems to have a very low priority for them. Limited to 30fps for 4K and still lacking support for HDR, the ATV remains not a very good choice for watching YouTube.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Google historically has been dismissive about this feature, when the Chromecast came out Europeans basically had to beg them to add a 50hz option. And even when they did that it was a manual switch on the app so they had to switch manually every time they watched 60hz content. On my LG c9 OLED YouTube actually switches automatically between 60 and 50 but it doesn't do 23/24.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Google historically has been dismissive about this feature, when the Chromecast came out Europeans basically had to beg them to add a 50hz option. And even when they did that it was a manual switch on the app so they had to switch manually every time they watched 60hz content. On my LG c9 OLED YouTube actually switches automatically between 60 and 50 but it doesn't do 23/24.
What about 60 and 60/1.001?

This one is 60.000, for example:
original HEVC is available in description, AV1 is also available

·
Registered
537 Posts
Probably good news for the people who want a HDMI2.1 interface and 120Hz support on the new ATV:

1341 - 1360 of 1403 Posts