AVS Forum banner

1361 - 1380 of 1404 Posts

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
The new device is going to be good news for fans of Apple Arcade and meaningless to home theater enthusiasts.
I see this idea quite a bit, that 120Hz is only for gamers. But see all the people complaining about not being a 23/24Hz UI option anymore? This would fix that if their projectors or TVs can do 120Hz, plus they'd get a smooth UI. Since running my HTPC at 120Hz I also don't have to switch between 24 and 60 so a lot fewer blackouts. If there are blackouts 100/119/120Hz is also quicker to switch than 23/24/50/59/60.

If there is an app that doesn't do frame rate matching or integer/non-integer, a dropped/repeated frame at 120Hz is a lot less noticeable than if the player was sending 24Hz signal out. Another example is Youtube which on some devices only switches between 50 and 60, this would fix the need for Youtube to even support 24Hz matching, which Google has never supported well or at all.

Plus since this presumably will have to be HDMI 2.1, it will probably have VRR and if so, QMS would be even better, this would basically be the holy grail of what this thread is about, seamless switching of refresh rates without blackouts just like the native TV apps on some TVs like LG OLEDs. And of course the overall UI being smoother is nice.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,363 ·
The new device is going to be good news for fans of Apple Arcade and meaningless to home theater enthusiasts.
I disagree. With increased processing power developers like Firecore (infuse) can use better algorithms for scaling, upsampling etc.
Furthermore, the new ATV could support QMS.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I disagree. With increased processing power developers like Firecore (infuse) can use better algorithms for scaling, upsampling etc.
Furthermore, the new ATV could support QMS.
I specifically said home theater enthusiasts and no home theater enthusiast is going to settle for Infuse not being able to pass-through proper object based audio. Upscaling and upsampling? None of that really matters if a future Apple TV continues to neuter the audio. Infuse has not been limited by processing power on the current hardware version.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Has anyone here ever suggested to Apple if they could add a delay (in seconds) before the start of a video to accommodate a refresh rate change for the TV app, iTunes Movies and iTunes TV Shows app? Some TV's require at least 2 seconds or more for a refresh rate change, mine requires about 2 seconds, so I get about 2 seconds black screen during a refresh rate change for example, going from 59.94 Hz to 23.98 Hz. I know that the MrMC app for the Apple TV 4k has this feature but I don't use the MrMC app but that's just for content played through MrMC and I mostly play iTunes content.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Has anyone here ever suggested to Apple if they could add a delay (in seconds) before the start of a video to accommodate a refresh rate change for the TV app, iTunes Movies and iTunes TV Shows app? Some TV's require at least 2 seconds or more for a refresh rate change, mine requires about 2 seconds, so I get about 2 seconds black screen during a refresh rate change for example, going from 59.94 Hz to 23.98 Hz. I know that the MrMC app for the Apple TV 4k has this feature but I don't use the MrMC app but that's just for content played through MrMC and I mostly play iTunes content.
Every streamer is apparently oblivious to the fact they are sabotaging their own fancy little logo animation at the beginning of their shows. Nothing sets the tone for a Disney+ or Netflix original like only seeing the last half of their logo animation, followed by an even more delayed cut of the end of the audio popping in!

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Oh man I dusted off my Apple TV 4K yesterday and updated to the 14.5 beta and it's almost perfect, so much that I'm ditching the C9's apps for the most part (Youtube on ATV is even more trash than on the C9 but that's on Google). The faster, smoother UI, the consistency across apps (for the most part), and THE INSTANT 10-SECOND REWIND ON NETFLIX. If the new ATV comes out with 120Hz, HDMI 2.1 and VRR/QMS that's an instabuy for me I don't care about the price.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
I noticed something else that might alleviate a bit the issues for those with long blanking intervals that are missing the 23/24Hz UI. If you switch content with Siri there are fewer blackouts. For instance, I'm watching something on Amazon Prime at 23 Hz, and if I say to Siri "Netflix" (or Settings, etc.) it goes directly there, and while the display is blanking out Netflix is already opening so you save a few seconds at least.

Better yet, if you're already playing 2 videos with the same framerate in two apps, you can switch between them with Siri by just saying the previous app name and there won't be any blanking, as opposed to 2 blankings if you went through the recent apps menu. If they're different rates you still only have one blanking instead of 2.

Also you don't have a blanking if you want to search for something with Siri, you just search and the results pop up overlaid without switching refresh rates. If you have linked the app to the Apple TV app (Netflix doesn't do this but Hulu, Amazon and Disney+ do, it's in Settings -> Apps -> TV -> Connect to TV), after you search for it you can just click to play the title and while it's blanking out the other app will open and start playing the title.

·
Registered
13 Posts
after some reading in this thread it seems the ATV 4K is the ideal streamer for netflix/amazon/disney etc. did anyone *compare this newest firmware apple vs the new google chromecast with google TV???

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
The Chromecast with Google TV is not even close, it doesn't even try to frame rate match. You can switch 50/60 [edit: you can switch manually between different framerates] manually and that's it.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Yes, and in the meantime we should be a bit skeptical about any claims that don't come from Apple themselves. A bunch of publications including reputable ones like Ars Technica had articles pre-written ready to go with a bunch of rumors that they had to correct at the last minute, and one of them was 4K 120Hz support and HDMI 2.1. Apple doesn't mention it and Ars corrected it, but not before the article draft going live. Phone Arena and Digital Trends also mentioned it and theirs were also clearly rumor-based articles that were later corrected. Some of them even mentioned the A14 chip.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yes, and in the meantime we should be a bit skeptical about any claims that don't come from Apple themselves. A bunch of publications including reputable ones like Ars Technica had articles pre-written ready to go with a bunch of rumors that they had to correct at the last minute, and one of them was 4K 120Hz support and HDMI 2.1. Apple doesn't mention it and Ars corrected it, but not before the article draft going live. Phone Arena and Digital Trends also mentioned it and theirs were also clearly rumor-based articles that were later corrected. Some of them even mentioned the A14 chip.
The specs page for the new Apple TV 4K does say the HDMI port is HDMI 2.1, but seems they are only supporting up to 60fps video formats for now. Perhaps they can add support for even higher framerates via firmware updates in the future.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Yeah the Apple.com page for the ATV wasn't up yet when I was reading about it. We'll see about the "up to 60fps HDR video" part soon enough I guess.

BTW those publications jumping the gun with HDMI 2.1 was one of those "being right for the wrong reasons" cases, they were just assuming it was HDMI 2.1 because Apple said "high framerate HDR", but 60fps HDR is possible without HDMI 2.1 with chroma subsampling. The three I mentioned also said in so many words 4k 120Hz would be available though. At that point the Apple specs page wasn't up yet.

And the Verge wrote this

Apple has just announced a new Apple TV streaming box, replacing the Apple TV 4K that came out in 2017. The new model retains the name of the prior model but comes with a more powerful A12 Bionic chip that lets it play HDR video at higher frame rates. It’s also powerful enough to support 60fps Dolby Vision playback over AirPlay from a compatible iPhone.

The old Apple TV 4K, which has been Apple’s flagship set-top box for four years, supports 4K streaming as well as HDR, including Dolby Vision. It also supports Dolby Atmos sound codecs. But it doesn’t support 120Hz refresh rates, which might be important should you ever want to play serious games on an Apple TV.
It seems to imply that the new one will do 120Hz but probably they didn't know either.

·
aka jfinnie
5,236 Posts
So I guess we only got 24.00p support as Apple couldn't face the embarrassment of releasing a brand new product, only for some of a new round of reviews to pick up on the glitchy playback of some content...

·
Registered
77CX, Denon 3200, PS5, Switch, Gaming PC, Atmos 5.1.2
91 Posts
Finally QMS support?
And Bitstreaming would also be nice.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Finally QMS support?
And Bitstreaming would also be nice.
Wasn’t mentioned. And although they talked about “High Frame Rate HDR”, the official specs page only mentions 4K HDR up to 60fps. But it will have a HDMI 2.1 port, so additional features might come with future updates.

1361 - 1380 of 1404 Posts