AVS Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought an LG CX and I have a Apple tv 4K.

The issue is still not fixed?

this is a HUGE downer for me, I'm coming from a Q6F and the main point that I'm hoping to fix is to get great blacks (with HDR) when using on a dark room.

I love apple tv 4k and have all my apps centralized there (infuse, netflix, and all other streaming apps).

The best fix is to forget about apple tv 4k and begin to use the webos apps? At least when watching DV content?

Why doesnt LG and/or Apple fixes this in the old model?

I'm really bummed.... the new apple tv 4k is a small fortune where I live (like half the price of the OLED, really) and I cannot upgrade.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm wondering if I'm getting the same issue with my Apple TV 4k. If I turn on Match Framerate, 23.976 and 24 fps content show a strobing effect when the screen is black, such as transitions between scenes in movies or the black bars on 4:3 content (in a dark scene), and it does not matter which app I use either, and it's easier for me to notice when the lights turned off in my room. My TV is Sony KDL40W600B which is a 1080p SDR 60Hz LED screen. One workaround I discovered is to set the Apple TV 4k's HDMI output setting to RGB Low while my TV's HDMI input dynamic range setting is set to Full or Auto. YCbCr (default) and RGB High both show strobing when Match Frame Rate is turned on for 23.976 and 24 fps content on my Apple TV 4k. Another workaround in my situation is to disable Match Frame Rate but that is unacceptable to me as I rather not have 3:2 pull-down juddering when 23.976 and 24 fps content is being played. For some reason I notice it in the last 1/4 of the right side of my screen in my peripheral vision and not the whole screen and it's easier for me to notice if I'm not looking directly at the strobing and focusing on the center of the screen. My other devices (PC and 4k Blu-ray player) don't have this issue with this TV. Another workaround I discovered is lowering my TV's brightness setting one notch from the middle but then I heard that you lose black levels doing this and I'm not sure if it totally eliminates it or just lessens it to the degree that I won't notice the strobing during a black screen or the black bars. I don't think my Apple TV 4k is defective since a few years ago I exchanged it for another reason and the replacement showed the same strobing issue. I'm not talking about the screen blink during a refresh rate change. It's more of a pulsating/strobing effect that I'm talking about. Some example of which I noticed this strobing effect is: "Star Trek: TOS" in Netflix at the beginning of the episode where it shows the ship in space and "Airport" in my iTunes library, at the beginning where it's several seconds of a black screen before it transitions to the scene of the ticket counters inside the airport. I'm not sure if it's the YCrCb setting of the Apple TV 4k that is not getting along with my TV or my TV not getting along with my Apple TV 4k's YCrCb setting when using the Match Frame Rate feature of the Apple TV 4k or if this related to the issue that people are talking about in this forum that some are even saying it's happening in SDR content as well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi,
I have LG CX TV and Apple TV 4k (gen 1.), gen. 2 is arriving tomorrow. I have noticed this sdr near black flickering (is very noticeable). But, when I set Apple TV do RGB low it is gone ... no flickering at all. Am I missing something in picture quality when Apple TV is set to RGB low?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just want to make a quick note that the elevated black levels in Dolby Vision aren’t exactly fixed on the new model (at least when using with an LG B7) - just much improved to the point where you can’t see them if there’s anything else on the screen.

Most people are testing on a still image, but because anything else on the screen distracts your eye and makes the dark parts appear darker, the issue is virtually invisible. Test on a completely black, paused screen (such as at the beginning of a movie) in a dark room after your eyes adjusted, and you’ll see that the blacks are still not pure, even on the letterbox edges (and you’ll see the flicker/strobe effect as well, which looks different depending on if you have frame rate matching enabled). Setting the brightness to 49 is still the workaround.

If a problem isn’t noticeable unless you’re looking for it, is it a problem? Probably not in practice, but it’s not really accurate to say that it’s fixed either, especially when other devices are perfectly capable of definite pure blacks in Dolby Vision with the same test and the same settings.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just upgraded to the 2021 ATV4K. At least on my Sony A9G the difference with Dolby Vision is like night and day—no pun intended. I just autocal’d the TV, and with DV more so than HDR, the overall brightness and contrast is noticeably improved. But the biggest improvement between the old and new ATV4K is in shadow detail. All settings are identical to my old ATV, including using RGB Low output. All I can say is if you’ve got a Sony OLED and are as much of a nut job as me when it comes to PQ, buy the new ATV. Final note: I tried the new iPhone-enabled calibration and decided not to use it as it was nearly identical to the results produced by CalMan.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Now if movies anywhere can fix the 4K videos not playing in 4K on the 2021 version I’d be happy. Emailed them today and they don’t have an ETA on when it’ll be fixed.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Apple tv 4K 2021 with brightness (on oled lg) at 49 is better than apple tv 4k 2017 at brightness 48 in terms of black crush in dolby vision?
With apple tv 2017 i need to put it at 48 for fix black rises in dolby vidion.
But the blacks crushed.
With new apple tv 2021 4k seems that with brightness at 49 is possibile to fix black rise.
But blacks crush is still visible? There is a difference between apple tv 4k 2021 brightness at 49 and internal app lg tv with brightness at 50 in terms of black crush?

41 - 48 of 48 Posts