AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a software utility that assembles either mkv files before HB transcoding or assembles HB transcoded m4v files into a AppleTV compatible file?

I tried QT pro (with Perian) which does let me assemble the m4v files from HB; but when I save them out- they won't stream on the AppleTV (it sees them, but won't play them). The same m4v files stream separately just fine, but not assembled with QT (all are 720p generated from HB)...

thanks

ken

·
Registered
87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenliles /forum/post/19577579

Does anyone know of a software utility that assembles either mkv files before HB transcoding or assembles HB transcoded m4v files into a AppleTV compatible file?

I tried QT pro (with Perian) which does let me assemble the m4v files from HB; but when I save them out- they won't stream on the AppleTV (it sees them, but won't play them). The same m4v files stream separately just fine, but not assembled with QT (all are 720p generated from HB)...

thanks

ken

I am not sure i understand what you are asking.

I use a program called iDentify2 to tag and move my movie files from HB to iTunes.

So my path is MTR or Ripit to get data from the DVD, then HB to encode for ATV and then iDentify 2 to tag (with meta data) and move to iTunes.

Both HB and identify2 will work in a batch mode.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah- sorry I wasn't very descriptive...

Coming from MakeMKV (from BD) I get multiple MKV files from the Supplemental video (extras); These are really separate Chapters (all the same resolution for example) and play continuously when played from the disk, but generate separate MKV files from MakeMKV (I suspect they are separate TS files on the disk).

I can transcode each one separately with HB cutting to 720 resolution for play on AppleTV. That works fine - each streams to ATV just fine;

but I need to concatenate them into one file (Either in MKV form then re- HB the single file) or the m4v files HB created;

The closest I get is to use QT 7 Pro; It let's me manually copy-paste the m4v files together, but on Save it does something to the file that prevents AppleTV from streaming it (although it does see it and makes it selectable);

---Interestingly, If I use the same process on a lower resolution HB m4v file, the resulting combined file streams fine- so it's something QT is doing when it flattens and saves these 720p segments (tried mov and m4v formats including export function).

I was looking for another utility that would allow combining multiple MKVs or something other than QT Pro to combine the m4v files - but can't seem to find anything for mac solution.

Short of that I may just have to be satisfied with lower rez combined or playing each chapter separately...

ken

(Buick - thanks I wasn't clear these are BDs not DVD)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Either I'm not understanding what you are trying to do, or you are not understanding what makemkv does :)

When you open a BRD in makemkv it gives you a list of all the titles found on the disc. It does this by reading the index file that normally tells the BR player how to put the ts files together for each title. Each title can be one or more chapters. Normally the main feature is a single title made up up of many chapters. Its usually (thought not 100%) the single title with the largest file size and greatest number of chapters. The number of physical ts files that make up the title has nothing to do with the number of chapters, and can be one or many for a single title. Makemkv should automatically assemble all of the necessary ts files required to give you the complete title as a single mkv file.

What most of us do when ripping BRD is de-select the check boxes next to all of the titles except the main feature, then under the main feature decide which combination of audio and subtitle tracks you want to preserve. Then you will end up with a single mkv file for the entire movie. If you want to extract the bonus features (additional titles) you can, each of which will be extracted in its entirety into a separate mkv file. Make sure you are using the extract/convert to mkv option, not the disk copy/backup option when you run the rip. The latter would just give you all the raw files off the disk.

Does that make sense, or am I misunderstanding what you are trying to accomplish? I have never seen a BRD where the feature is split across more than one title, so I am not sure how you would end up with a feature split into more than one mkv file. Makemkv should behave basically the same whether its reading a BRD or DVD.

If you really do need to concatenate files for some reason, you might try MPEG Streamclip. I've never used it for mkv's, but used to use it alot for joining and editing mpeg2 encoded files from my DVR. Seems like it supports mp4 and mkv now.

Good luck!

Rob

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts

Quote:
am I misunderstanding what you are trying to accomplish?

you are--he's not having a problem with a main feature, he wants to be able to take all those individual bonus features, each an individual .mkv after running through MakeMKV, and roll them up into one big one.

Think of it this way--you've just allowed MakeMKV to convert 4 episodes of a TV show into 4 .mkv files--is there an easy way to then combine all 4 into 1 giant .mkv?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yep, Chef - exactly;

Rob- thanks for that write-up - I'll checkout MPEG Streamclip;

Like Chef says, it's not happening in the main title; but in the bonus fratures. As you pointed out, normally MakeMKV will extract the bonus features each in it's entirety to it's own mkv file. But in this case it's extracting each 'chapter' of a particular bonus feature, but somehow not recognizing they all belong to the same bonus feature (each is 2-3 minutes long for a bonus feature that plays in it's entirety when using a BD player on the disk for a total of 20 minutes);

If it was doing this for the main title (which it is not), it would be the equivalent of producing each chapter as a single mkv file and you'd have to watch it one chapter at a time.

Reading some of the MKV and HB forums, I've discovered others having some similar issues on various BD disks; Typically in supplemental material. Although some have looked for the same solution for concatenating multiple disk movies into one file.

Anyway- thanks for the heads-up on MPEG Streamclip

much appreciated

ken

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rob- Tried out StreamClip- almost works;

It does successfully concatenate MKVs or m4v files, but when I save, all audio is lost; Same when I tried an Export conversion from MKV to MPEG-4 (AppleTV presets). The 'Audio Mode' has a - in it (no options I can see);

Is there something I'm just missing or is there an issue with AAC passthroughs or other? It does seem to recognize the audio tracks exist (Info window) and it plays at least one correctly in it's own window...

thanks for any help-

I can see why you like this app generally for processing clips- really nice

ken

·
Registered
243 Posts
Ok, that makes sense. I've only been ripping BR features, so I haven't come across that issue. You may very well be running into a limitation of streamclip with the audio, the websites says it supports multiple audio tracks and "is compatible with MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 video, MPEG layer 1/2 (MP1/MP2) audio, AC3/A52 audio, and PCM audio." Its entirely possible it doesn't support all the audio types from BR, but I'm still a bit confused about BR audio myself ;-)

Streamclip was invaluable back in the day, it could repair the frequent time code breaks found in replaytv DVR MP2 files, edit out commercials, and it was free :)

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscrms /forum/post/19589486

You may very well be running into a limitation of streamclip with the audio, the websites says it supports multiple audio tracks and "is compatible with MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 video, MPEG layer 1/2 (MP1/MP2) audio, AC3/A52 audio, and PCM audio." Its entirely possible it doesn't support all the audio types from BR, but I'm still a bit confused about BR audio myself ;-)

could be- although I think these tracks in the Supplemental are pretty standard fair- might be something else I'm doing wrong. I'll keep playing with it 'cause it would be a perfect solution if I can get music
(it's the Sound of Music after all)

thanks again

ken

1 - 10 of 10 Posts