Free shipping as well!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraZtiK /forum/post/0

Why??

I am going to use it to stream to our bedroom/workout room. I have all my titles ripped in Apple format and stored on a server. The Apple TV interface is superior and to my eye and their 720P looks better than other streaming devices I've seen.

·
Registered
585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgolombowski /forum/post/19643275

I am going to use it to stream to our bedroom/workout room. I have all my titles ripped in Apple format and stored on a server. The Apple TV interface is superior and to my eye and their 720P looks better than other streaming devices I've seen.

It's certainly better than any other 720p streamer.

Probably because nobody has made one that only does 720p in years

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_JDnDfoI4uO...letvposter.jpg

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtz9 /forum/post/19643468

Actually if you compare the PQ side by side the Apple TV 720P looks better than anything I have compared it to with the exception of my Vudu box with HDX downloads. You need to look past specs. and compare for yourself.

·
UHD Addict
38,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtz9 /forum/post/19643468

Apple Tv is aimed at the masses, not AVS. The masses don't really care about 720P or 1080P. Other than what people tell them in advertising they have no clue about it. Heck many people think Blu-ray Disc is a new fomat. It's been out 4.5 years now. I still remember that $1k turd I bought in June 2006. Which was returned two weeks later.

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
Well, I'm on AVS and I own one. Works splendidly too for streaming my itunes and rhapsody library, watching very decent HD movies and paging through pictures. Oh, and youtube isn't the worst thing in the world on occasion I suppose.

The fact that 720 is all-but indistinguishable from 1080 at 10-12 feet on a 50" screen or less prolly has a lot to do with the lack of its implementation in the apple tv. Outputting 1080 is no longer some magic hurdle that will double or triple the cost of a 4inch box...check out Roku if you're so obsessed with it.

I have a 60" version of perhaps the greatest display ever made and possess 20/20 vision and I'm hard-pressed to discern decent 720 from 1080 at 12' in my living room.

But, sigh, I know...AVS houses tens of millions who can.

The apple tv is great device with reasonable useability for $79. That of course doesn't mean it's a flawless device.

James

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe
I have a 60" version of perhaps the greatest display ever made...
Fujitsu Plasma?

CD

·
Registered
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe
I have a 60" version of perhaps the greatest display ever made and possess 20/20 vision and I'm hard-pressed to discern decent 720 from 1080 at 12' in my living room.

But, sigh, I know...AVS houses tens of millions who can.

The apple tv is superb device for $79. That of course doesn't mean it's a flawless device.

James

With the money you saved you can get an eye exam, since you ought be able to see a difference at that screen size/distance.

Seriously though... 12 feet is a long way away from a 60 inch screen by most experts recommendations...

CNET recommends viewing 1.5 screen size distance... that's 7.5 feet on a 60 inch screen, where the difference will be very very obvious.

SMPTE says 30 degree viewing, which means 1.6263 times screen size, or about 8.1 feet for 60 inches, again the difference will be very obvious.

THX recommends even closer than either (screen size divided by .84, which is about 6 feet on 60 inches) where it'll be even more obvious.

Even if you go by range, not just ideal distance, THX says 6 foot minimum and 9 feet max for 60 inches, where again the difference should be quite noticeable.

So yes, if you stand 1.5-2 times further away from the set than everyone seems to recommend you might have trouble seeing the difference... otherwise it should be pretty easy to see.

·
Registered
10,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgolombowski
Actually if you compare the PQ side by side the Apple TV 720P looks better than anything I have compared it to with the exception of my Vudu box with HDX downloads. You need to look past specs. and compare for yourself.
Looks better than a Blu-ray disc? Doubtful. Better than a 1080P MKV or MT2S made from a Blu-ray? Still doubting it.

If 720P is good enough for you that's okay, just give it a rest trying to convince the rest of us that we should take a giant step back in PQ and AQ for convenience of downloads.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2
Looks better than a Blu-ray disc? Doubtful. Better than a 1080P MKV or MT2S made from a Blu-ray? Still doubting it.

If 720P is good enough for you that's okay, just give it a rest trying to convince the rest of us that we should take a giant step back in PQ and AQ for convenience of downloads.
I don't remember where I stated it looked better than Blu-ray. Since nothing does you are throwing out a silly comparison. I am using this on a 37" Samsung LCD over the fireplace in our bedroom and viewing from at least 10 feet. I am not making the case that is will look better than Blu-ray. But in this instance I don't need Blu-ray quality.

In my HT I have both a Vudu box and a Gen 1 Apple TV along with streaming NetFlix from my Panasonic Blu-ray player. On my 123" screen Netflix HD streaming is average at best, the Apple TV 720P is more than acceptable, the Vudu HDX is excellent and Blu-ray sets the standard. When viewing recent releases we usually view the Blu-ray and the occasional HDX. Television shows and older content looks as good on the ATV as any other source short of running out and getting the Blu-ray release of those shows. You may get all worked up over the PQ in these instances but I can tell you I don't. I like my equipment to deliver a great experience but I also like it to deliver convenience. I have multiple ATVs throughout the house and when the grand kids want to watch a ripped CD stored in iTunes there is nothing that delivers the content as simply and and as well as an ATV.

I take this hobby as serious as most but I guess I am just not impressed with the comments of a snob.

·
Registered
10,958 Posts
You stated that side by side the ATV looked better than anything I have compared it to with the exception of the Vudu.

Your comments, not mine.

I fully recognize that there are scenarios in which a BD is overkill. However, the industry is working very hard to shift users to downloads so that you never actually own a copy of the content.

BD was supposed to bring managed copy years ago, so that you could simply buy the BD and have a digital high quality version that would be available on your network.

Now, we're invited to either live with the lower quality garbage that they pack in as a DVD or low bitrate download or, worse, we are supposed to re-purchase the content again from Apple, Amazon, etc, to get a reasonable quality version.

Ripping your own BDs is not that hard, and gives you the advantage of having a bit perfect copy of the audio and video track that can not only be played back on your theater setup but also in the bedroom, without ever having to give studio executives a nickel beyond what they made when you bought the content the first time.

As far as renting movies, I would still usually rather wait on the BD from Netflix, but I would consider renting from Amazon, Apple, etc, if the 720P light weight download cost $1 instead of $5.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought we were in the network and streaming forum. I was speaking of the options for streaming which is what an ATV is designed to do.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Quote:
I thought we were in the network and streaming forum. I was speaking of the options for streaming which is what an ATV is designed to do.
Indeed.

Though it does so at a lower resolution, and supporting far fewer formats, than pretty much all other dedicated streamers on the market.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As stated earlier you are focusing on the specs rather than the the actual PQ. What alternative are you speaking of that has better PQ, interface and available content? I think we would all like the mythical 1080P "unicorn box" that does it all and has so much available content to render the cable company a thing of the past. But unfortunately it does not exist. For $80 the ATV delivers while other streaming options don't really have the whole package available yet.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtz9
CNET recommends viewing 1.5 screen size distance... that's 7.5 feet on a 60 inch screen, where the difference will be very very obvious.

SMPTE says 30 degree viewing, which means 1.6263 times screen size, or about 8.1 feet for 60 inches, again the difference will be very obvious.

THX recommends even closer than either (screen size divided by .84, which is about 6 feet on 60 inches) where it'll be even more obvious.
Those recommendations remind me of "reference" level audio. Meaning that normal people are as likely to sit 5'10" from a 50" TV as listen to it at reference audio levels.

Count me among those that feel most people are wasting their money with 1080P.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Quote:
We are in the network and streaming forum...of which the apple TV does neither well. Its support is so limited and gimped its useless for anything but an apple formatted file. Your severely limiting yourself by trying to stick with their standards and codecs. You can't even just rip a DVD and play it without converting it as far as I'm aware.

But its your money and time...good luck!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by David James
Those recommendations remind me of "reference" level audio. Meaning that normal people are as likely to sit 5'10" from a 50" TV as listen to it at reference audio levels.

Count me among those that feel most people are wasting their money with 1080P.
Whenever I read about these viewing distances I picture someone sitting on the floor 5 feet from the display. Who has their viewing room set up like that?

Personally I put more weight behind my actual viewing experience than manufacturers' specs. and the opinions of those that worship them.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraZtiK
We are in the network and streaming forum...of which the apple TV does neither well. Its support is so limited and gimped its useless for anything but an apple formatted file. Your severely limiting yourself by trying to stick with their standards and codecs. You can't even just rip a DVD and play it without converting it as far as I'm aware.

But its your money and time...good luck!
It takes no longer to rip and convert a DVD than to rip it to any other format. And if I have the disc what difference does it make?

But you are entitled to your opinion. I am still waiting for the "unicorn box" and when it arrives I have no doubt I'll be able to recoup most of my investment in the ATV on eBay. Unlike the other streaming boxes which will be just about worthless.

·
Registered
13,221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtz9 /forum/post/19651178

Seriously though... 12 feet is a long way away from a 60 inch screen by most experts recommendations...

Reality wise viewing distances are good for computing whether or not your viewing distance will be far enough away. Such as if you view closer the image will suffer. Which with projectors and screen sizes makes total sense.

Regarding how far back someone views from is like saying you can't enjoy looking at a tree unless you are within 1.5 times its height.
I look at pine trees outside my den everyday from much further away and even if I stood within inches and could see every detail in the needles and bark I wouldn't enjoy them anymore.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.