AVS Forum banner

20181 - 20200 of 30752 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
[/B]
Did you try that yet?
Yeah, it didn't work. Receiver must have told the ATV it was outputting 1080p cause I couldn't get anything higher than that to show up in the resolution options. Oh well. Eff it I give up and will apparently have to wait till I have a 4K TV to get Atmos again from Amazon since they apparently decided to screw over Sony X800 owners who WERE getting Atmos earlier this year on, well, at the time the only content that had it Jack Ryan. I'll probably still continue to use the Amazon app on the Sony player as well just because I'm not going to deal with the ATV app giving me stereo where it should at least give a 5.1 output. :mad:

·
Premium Member
10,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #20,182
Maybe I don’t understand what you’re saying here.

Amazon will not play Atmos or even 5.1 audio unless you are connected to a 4K tv.
I'm sorry I was unclear.
First it is the case that Prime Video on the ATV4K is looking for a 4K EDID. If you don't have that you can't select 4K, HDR or Atmos assets. My bad for being lazy.

If you have a 4K EDID (and possibly HDCP 2.2) you can get HDR and Atmos in 2K. Amazon has the assets and will send them to an ATV4K.
Vudu might also restrict audio to 2K displays. Actually I only checked Prime Video so iTunes may also apply some restrictions even though they'll scale HDR/Atmos down to 2K.
I also haven't checked my other Prime Video sources that are allowed AC-3.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I'm sorry I was unclear.
First it is the case that Prime Video on the ATV4K is looking for a 4K EDID. If you don't have that you can't select 4K, HDR or Atmos assets. My bad for being lazy.

If you have a 4K EDID (and possibly HDCP 2.2) you can get HDR and Atmos in 2K. Amazon has the assets and will send them to an ATV4K.
Vudu might also restrict audio to 2K displays. Actually I only checked Prime Video so iTunes may also apply some restrictions even though they'll scale HDR/Atmos down to 2K.
I also haven't checked my other Prime Video sources that are allowed AC-3.

iTunes will play Atmos in 1080 I've done it recently. Seems like Amazon just wants to link it to the uhd stream. It's not like uhd is an Atmos requirement so that makes this even more frustrating for those that don't have the money for a 4k TV yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
iTunes will play Atmos in 1080 I've done it recently. Seems like Amazon just wants to link it to the uhd stream. It's not like uhd is an Atmos requirement so that makes this even more frustrating for those that don't have the money for a 4k TV yet.

Yes. In the simpler terms.
If you don’t have a 4K tv connected to your Amazon Video using Atv4K you won’t get Atmos or probably even 5.1.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Yes. In the simpler terms.

If you don’t have a 4K tv connected to your Amazon Video using Atv4K you won’t get Atmos or probably even 5.1.

I actually do get 5.1 on various things but Jack Ryan for instance yeah still stereo.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I actually do get 5.1 on various things but Jack Ryan for instance yeah still stereo.

I concur on this. When I watch Jack Ryan on my ATV4K., I only get HDR10. I do get Atmos but that was not always the case, I used to get only stereo. When I use my LG OLED’s internal Amazon app. I get Dolby Vision and Atmos. I’ve found several content discrepancies between the ATV app and my TV’s. Sometimes I get 5.1 on ATV, and only Stereo with the TV app, and vice versa. And yes, I have my settings in my ATV set to Match Content & Range. And I make sure I’m watching the “UHD” versions of Amazon content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
On Amazon using Atv4K?

Wish I could. Nothing but stereo for me.

Denon 3400

Yep. Just a couple months ago it when we bought it there was stereo only though.

Patriot and Daddy's Home 2

Grand tour was also 5.1. Jack Ryan nope.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yep. Just a couple months ago it when we bought it there was stereo only though.

Patriot and Daddy's Home 2

Grand tour was also 5.1. Jack Ryan nope.

Sorry I’m jumping in the middle of this thread exchange, but I thought I would share to show how screwed up and inconsistent the Prime Video app is.

Daddy’s Home 2 and Patriot I get in 5.1. Jack Ryan I get Atmos (when before I didn’t). Grand Tour I only get Stereo.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Sorry I’m jumping in the middle of this thread exchange, but I thought I would share to show how screwed up and inconsistent the Prime Video app is.

Daddy’s Home 2 and Patriot I get in 5.1. Jack Ryan I get Atmos (when before I didn’t). Grand Tour I only get Stereo.

That's just weird. Between my X800, Xfinity now having it on my DVR, and the whacky ATV app I don't know where to watch Amazon stuff.

·
Registered
34 Posts
That's just weird. Between my X800, Xfinity now having it on my DVR, and the whacky ATV app I don't know where to watch Amazon stuff.

I find that my TV App is the most consistent, although there are a few instances where content will be labeled 5.1 and I get Stereo, but get 5.1 on that same content on my ATV, but much less than I do vice versa.

Granted I don’t have a X800, I have an LG OLED65E7P but try seeing what results you get using the TV app.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I am old school for 2018 anyways!

I have my 2010 Sammy UN55C6400 1080P ~55" TV and 2014 37" LG 1080P TV

I have my 2012 Pioneer VSX-1122K AVR
I have my 2012 Pioneer 5.1 surround system (4 towers speakers/center and giant SVS subwoofer)

I have my 2017 ShieldTV 16g ( 2 actually)
I have my AppleTV 4K which was a 'free' deal with DirectvNow last summer!

I don't fret over Atmos, HDR, HDR10, etc...etc nor all the other confounded problems with all of the sources for viewing content. One thing for sure is that I can afford to upgrade but I'm not gonna get in any hurry!;)

I really love this site! (Technology is chore for me but I love it)...lots of great people here contributing and VERY smart!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I find that my TV App is the most consistent, although there are a few instances where content will be labeled 5.1 and I get Stereo, but get 5.1 on that same content on my ATV, but much less than I do vice versa.

Granted I don’t have a X800, I have an LG OLED65E7P but try seeing what results you get using the TV app.

The X800 has actually been consistent except for Amazon apparently killing it off from getting Atmos after it first appeared. Everything that should be 5.1 has been 5.1 on it though.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
FWIW apparently there are 2 versions of jack ryan one is HD the other 4kuhd. I just verified this on amazon via the ATV4k . The HD just gives stereo the 4k gives atmos. Drop down on the ATV verified this as well as my receiver.Maybe everyone knows this but wasn't sure.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
FWIW apparently there are 2 versions of jack ryan one is HD the other 4kuhd. I just verified this on amazon via the ATV4k . The HD just gives stereo the 4k gives atmos. Drop down on the ATV verified this as well as my receiver.Maybe everyone knows this but wasn't sure.
I knew that but it doesn’t matter for me. Stereo on 1080 tv, Atmos on my 4K tv.

·
Premium Member
10,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #20,197
Amazon Prime Video

Without regard to any specifics at the moment Amazon Prime Video is inconsistent in it's offerings across platforms (and over time). This includes Fire devices. It's always been this way hence the note in the first post. Posting updates here that don't reflect new changes/issues are likely to be invalidated at any time. Even new things (Jack Ryan in Dolby) are likely to change over time. Amazon has the required assets, they simply choose to withhold them from some platforms at some times with no notice or explanation.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Apple tv 4k + Sony Ht-z9f(sound bar) hdmi problems:

Hi Guys,
Does anyone on this forum own both the Apple TV 4k and the sony ht-z9f sound bar? I have had my Apple TV 4k for almost a year now as well as my z9f sound bar, and every time I turn on my set(Sony z9d), the sound bar switches back in forth between the tv speakers and external speakers(ht-z9f sound bar), causing the Apple tv 4k to lose an hdmi connection more than twice. The hdmi in the Apple TV 4k tv is connected to the sound bar's hdmi. This is a problem, since I would like to get instant gratification and be able to watch my Apple TV 4k tv without waiting more than a minute for the sound bar to connect via passthrough. I was using the monoprice certified high speed hdmi chord before, and now I'm currently using the Apple certified Belkin 2.1 ultra high speed hdmi. I'm not seeing a difference. It's still drops a signal when the set is turned on. Is anyone having this problem? I think this could be my sound bar, but my Amazon 4k tv stick connects with the sound bar immediately when I turn my Sony z9d on. With my Amazon device sometimes it needs to take a second to connect to the sound bar(passthrough via hdmi, basically like a receiver), but the Apple tv 4k takes forever to connect and needs to switch between tv speakers and external speakers at least three times before it gets a connection. Any help?

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
FWIW, as far as APV content, I consistently get DD+ 5.1 on my Roku P+ and my Sammy UBD-K8500 BRP for any and all HDR shows/movies I throw at them (including Grand Tour, and Atmos, for JR of course ;) ); only the ATV4K has been hit or miss on whether I only get stereo or not for various titles.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
FWIW, as far as APV content, I consistently get DD+ 5.1 on my Roku P+ and my Sammy UBD-K8500 BRP for any and all HDR shows/movies I throw at them (including Grand Tour, and Atmos, for JR of course ;) ); only the ATV4K has been hit or miss on whether I only get stereo or not for various titles.

Yeah unless something changes I'm probably sticking with the x800 even though Atmos for JR has disappeared. At least it's still in 5.1. I won't bother with the Xfinity version on our DVR. It's a laggy mess like their Netflix app and of course will probably never get Atmos either just like the Netflix app on it.

Reactions: galonzo
20181 - 20200 of 30752 Posts