AVS Forum banner

22101 - 22120 of 30813 Posts

·
Registered
9,471 Posts
Who believes the Hunger Games on iTunes will go back to 4K?

Who thinks Disney will remove iTunes purchases when they launch the Disney Streaming service ?

I like the idea of most of my movies in iTunes but I always wonder if that’s a bad plan given how my library contents can change. Often for the better but sometimes worse.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts

Who thinks Disney will remove iTunes purchases when they launch the Disney Streaming service ?

I like the idea of most of my movies in iTunes but I always wonder if that’s a bad plan given how my library contents can change. Often for the better but sometimes worse.
I purchased the Hunger Games bundle through iTunes and it appears they are all in 4K except for the original Hunger Games. This was actually my first 4K purchase from iTunes. I hope it goes back to 4K. I know there’s a lot of talk about the subject of movies going back and forth and disappearing. This is why for now I think I’ll continue to purchase disc the majority of the time.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Hi, I was wondering about something. I bought Interstellar 4K from Itunes, but when I play it the Playback Hud says that video display-size and natural-size both are 3840x1598...
New to ATV4K and digital generally, but jumped-into the pool today buying 4K Alien and Interstellar respectively for $7.99 and $9.99 which I thought were good deals. I haven't racked them up, but am gratified to learn here that Interstellar is apparently 2.40:1, hopefully beginning-to-end.

Anyway I wonder: is there any place where I can find such specs as Aspect Ratio IN ADVANCE for movies that I might be interested to buy from the Apple Store?

·
Registered
410 Posts
I own an OPPO UDP-203 and an Apple TV (and an NVidia Shield). Before I got my new AVR (which supports all the new HDMI video standards like HDR10 and DV), I was using the HDMI input and dual HDMI outputs to take my NVidia Shield into my TV (with HDR10 video) and AVR (with Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD-MA) in parallel.

I never hooked my AppleTV up via the OPPO UDP-203 HDMI input for a simple reason: the Apple TV didn't/doesn't bitstream Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD-MA, so I don't use my AppleTV for my 1:1 BluRay and UHD Blu Ray rips. So I just took my AppleTV directly into the TV via HDMI, and then came back down to my AVR via TOSLINK, which got all of my Streaming Subscriptions that have HDR10 or Dolby Vision but no lossless audio to my TV with full PQ, and then out of the TV and to my AVR with their Dolby Digital 5.1 audio in-tact (I don't have/do atmos, fwiw).

But some of the experiences you are describing with the ATV4K via the OPPO UDP-203 HDMI input are very familiar to me to what I experienced using my Shield through the OPPO. The screen and GUI would get sluggish. Once every week or two video or GUI would get stutter-y/choppy and the only thing that would fix it was a reboot on my Shield. But the problem wasn't with the Shield, it was with the OPPO's HDMI-input. Ever since I got a new AVR, and made my signal chain Shield--> new AVR --> TV, all of the issues with sluggish GUI and weekly reboots went away. Also, at least at one time, the OPPO 203's HDMI input couldn't pass Dolby Vision, only HDR10. The Shield only supported HDR10, so I wasn't loosing anything using it that way, but if you're doing that with your ATV you might be sacrificing Dolby Vision support, too.

Unless you're doing something/using your AppleTV in a way that I don't, I'd recommend going straight into your TV and then down to your AVR; you aren't losing out on Lossless audio because your ATV doesn't do that. You get Dolby Vision that way. And you solve the problem with the sluggish GUI.

Hope this helps.

@psuKinger: I"m very familiar (and disappointed) with the scenario that you described. I cannot duplicate the lossless Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD-MA sound I get via BluRays/UHD discs whenever I use the ATV4k for streaming because ATV doesn't pass through bitstream uncompressed audio like NVidia Shield does, so I too use optical cable between TV and pre/pro. But since my HT audio gear is Krell Evolution, and it sounds way too good to replace it any time soon...

I did submit a request to Apple to pass through unmolested audio codecs, so I'm not sure when/if ATV4K will implement that feature. Watching the same movie via ATV4k vs. on physical media is no contest despite the fact that I have 5.2 setup only. I'm forced to have ATV4k send Dolby Digital 5.1 (because choose best audio sends my TV stereo PCM) which by design is a compressed AC3 audio..

For those with legacy AVRs that still sound amazingly good and ATV4k...do you still rely on optical tosslink cables or have you found some other workarounds?

·
Registered
410 Posts
I am that previous poster and I didn't respond intentionally because I don't care to get into a big argument over this in the ATV thread, as I know I'm in the minority here (at least in this thread), but I prefer bitstreaming of the lossless audio for decoding at my AVR over internal decoding at the streaming media player.
Hear! Hear!

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm open to being wrong about this, but Infuse sends audio via LPCM, so you lose the height and position information provided by object based formats like Atmos and DTS:X.
I'm not extremely familiar w/ Infuse app & ATV4k, but would Infuse also send LCPM audio for anything streamed via Netflix/Amazon apps or it's only applicable for files being played from the network that the ATV resides on?

·
Registered
410 Posts
New to ATV4K and digital generally, but jumped-into the pool today buying 4K Alien and Interstellar respectively for $7.99 and $9.99 which I thought were good deals. I haven't racked them up, but am gratified to learn here that Interstellar is apparently 2.40:1, hopefully beginning-to-end.

Anyway I wonder: is there any place where I can find such specs as Aspect Ratio IN ADVANCE for movies that I might be interested to buy from the Apple Store?
You may find this thread useful wrt aspect ratios and iTunes purchased movies:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3058455

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
You may find this thread useful wrt aspect ratios and iTunes purchased movies:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3058455
Thanks for that--I'd forgotten about Apple communities. That thread discusses the exact problem I'm anticipating i.e. re: Interstellar I've hear Nolan changes ARs...

With Blu-rays I can always search the movie, with blu-ray.com or highdefdigest having virtually all of them viewed & reviewed with specs & comments, but apparently such a resource is NOT available for iTunes digital movies.

The movies with changing ARs, as I first encountered with The Dark Knight, I prefer to zoom to fit my 'scope screen, and then use my projectors built-in shutter capability to mask-off the upper and lower part i.e. the IMAX scenes. Maybe the ATV4K's chapter-skip function will let me check movies in advance for this.

EDIT: I only just now realize blu-ray.com has an iTunes section. I must check it out!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Thanks for that--I'd forgotten about Apple communities. That thread discusses the exact problem I'm anticipating i.e. re: Interstellar I've hear Nolan changes ARs...

With Blu-rays I can always search the movie, with blu-ray.com or highdefdigest having virtually all of them viewed & reviewed with specs & comments, but apparently such a resource is NOT available for iTunes digital movies.

The movies with changing ARs, as I first encountered with The Dark Knight, I prefer to zoom to fit my 'scope screen, and then use my projectors built-in shutter capability to mask-off the upper and lower part i.e. the IMAX scenes. Maybe the ATV4K's chapter-skip function will let me check movies in advance for this.

EDIT: I only just now realize blu-ray.com has an iTunes section. I must check it out!
Thanks for the tip about the iTunes section even if I’m reluctant to purchase a bunch of movies from iTunes. Still prefer disc but sometimes Apple’s prices and certain titles just make sense.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
9,471 Posts
I use it often. I have always had Blu Ray dot com bookmarked because I used it plenty when I bought blu rays.

These days it's very useful for iTunes information including sales. I believe you can put a price point at which you would buy particular iTunes movies and they will email you when they go on sale. You can also track the price histories.

·
Registered
9,471 Posts
Thanks for the tip about the iTunes section even if I’m reluctant to purchase a bunch of movies from iTunes. Still prefer disc but sometimes Apple’s prices and certain titles just make sense.
Over time the iTunes prices can't be beat. They have fantastic sales. I have given up buying anything but iTunes movies.

However,... I am concerned about recent dis-appearing movies so I'm in a sort of moment of doubt myself.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Over time the iTunes prices can't be beat. They have fantastic sales. I have given up buying anything but iTunes movies.

However,... I am concerned about recent dis-appearing movies so I'm in a sort of moment of doubt myself.
That’s my concern, disappearing movies, but I agree with you on the pricing.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts

I think you’re right with your iTunes strategy. Having it there and MA is the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Brian Hampton

·
Registered
218 Posts
I noticed that the refresh rate change takes longer when I have my Apple TV 4k connected to my receiver than directly connected to my TV or HDMI switch. I sometimes end up missing the first second of video after the refresh rate change and that's with Quick Start enabled (Quick Start disabled actually loads videos faster so I would end up missing more seconds of video with Quick Start disabled) whereas I would still see the loading screen for about a second more after the refresh rate change if my Apple TV 4k is connected directly to my TV or HDMI switch. With my NUC with LibreElec I can adjust the delay before the video starts during a refresh rate change, so it's not really an issue with LibreELEC on my NUC. I'm considering just connecting my Apple TV directly to my TV and using HDMI ARC or optical from my TV to the receiver for the Apple TV's audio and just setting the Apple TV 4k to Dolby Digital 5.1 unless there is a way to speed up the refresh rate change when connected to my receiver. I have the HDMI passthrough signal set to Direct on my receiver. I'm assuming that it takes longer to change refresh rates when my devices are connected to the receiver and not directly to the TV is because there is an HDMI handshake first between the input device, for example the Apple TV 4k, and the receiver and then a 2nd HDMI handshake between the receiver and TV?

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
I'm not extremely familiar w/ Infuse app & ATV4k, but would Infuse also send LCPM audio for anything streamed via Netflix/Amazon apps or it's only applicable for files being played from the network that the ATV resides on?
All audio from all apps is decoded internally and sent via PCM unless you force Dolby Digital at all times.

·
Registered
218 Posts
If I intend to use optical or HDMI ARC from the TV to the receiver and the Apple TV 4k is connected to the TV using an HDMI cable and the TV can only passthrough PCM 2.0 or Dolby Digital 5.1 through optical or HDMI ARC, would Dolby Digital 5.1 be the best audio setting in the Apple TV 4k in this case? Also in this case only 2 front speakers are connected to the receiver and the receiver can decode Dolby Digital 5.1 and output it to the 2 speakers without discarding the LFE channel as it will be mixed into the 2 channels. I only use Netflix and iTunes on my Apple TV 4k, so lossless audio is not required.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I recently purchased the Sony WH1000XM3 bluetooth headphones which supports Apples preferred AAC codec.

In the Sony APP it shows AAC fine when pairing with iPhone and iPAD, however reverts to horrible painful SBC when connected to my APPLE TV4K.

Can anyone help with this as I am sure APPLE TV4k supports AAC bluetooth to headphones.

Is there an Audio setting I should change on the Apple TV4K?

·
Registered
9,471 Posts
I recently purchased the Sony WH1000XM3 bluetooth headphones which supports Apples preferred AAC codec.

In the Sony APP it shows AAC fine when pairing with iPhone and iPAD, however reverts to horrible painful SBC when connected to my APPLE TV4K.

Can anyone help with this as I am sure APPLE TV4k supports AAC bluetooth to headphones.

Is there an Audio setting I should change on the Apple TV4K?
I believe the first post has recommenced settings for audio as well as video.

I would at least go have a look at the settings and if you haven't tried it force stereo if that's an option.

I'm sorry I don't have your headphones to test. The only wireless headphones I've used with my ATV4K have been the airpods from Apple and no surprise those seemed to work.

I had a problem which I feel was Apple's problem but Sony resolved it via FW update. I wouldn't hesitate to at least let Sony support know there is an issue.

-Brian

·
Registered
978 Posts

Which movies have disappeared? Very occasionally I’ve had a movie disappear or change resolution, but it’s always returned within a day.

Pip

22101 - 22120 of 30813 Posts