AVS Forum banner

24501 - 24520 of 30708 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Correct. Prime does a really sorry job of handling the 1080P and 4K HDR versions of their shows. It seems to be slightly better than it was but finding 4K HDR programming there is still an adventure.
What i do is search with program name followed by 4K UHD.

Still this is a rubbish method until they fire that Prime Video Executive.

·
Premium Member
35,081 Posts
What i do is search with program name followed by 4K UHD.

Still this is a rubbish method until they fire that Prime Video Executive.
I usually locate the correct version on a computer or tablet at Amazon.com and add it to my Watchlist, that way I don't have to hunt around for it using the playback app itself.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I usually locate the correct version on a computer or tablet at Amazon.com and add it to my Watchlist, that way I don't have to hunt around for it using the playback app itself.
So do I on my tablet. Smart thinking.

On my Tablet App if i type exactly the following with the "" marks, it lists all content:
"4K/UHD"

I Tried 4K UHD, 4K, UHD - but only above lists all 4k and hdr.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
@;
So do I on my tablet. Smart thinking.

On my Tablet App if i type exactly the following with the "" marks, it lists all content:
"4K/UHD"

I Tried 4K UHD, 4K, UHD - but only above lists all 4k and hdr.
Thanks, I got 685 results when doing this search. I'll just have to remember how to do it the next time. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are you using ARC because the Marantz doesn't pass Dolby Vision? Do you mean you have Change Forman On/New Format Dolby Digital 5.1?
Can you give a specific example or two?
Yes, this is correct. The Marantz NR1603 does not do 4K passthrough so I have the ATV hooked up directly to the Sony A1E. The A1E is then connected to the receiver via ARC. Also correct in that I changed the format to - "new format" - "dolby digital 5.1". If I set to "Best Available" I only get 2ch stereo. If there is a setting I can change in the TV to allow PCM to passthrough then I have yet to find it.

Both Glow (Season 3) and Another Life don't play in 5.1 audio.

I’d add, are the problematic shows specifically in Atmos—what does it say in the Netflix info banner for the problematic shows because many DV shows on Netflix are Atmos and he said that non DV seems to work OK. I can believe this is explicitly DV related.

Also, seems like he should just be using best possible as the audio setting (but you are correct in that he is unclear about if he is changing a format or is it always set to one format.)

Whatever the issue, a Sony AE1 thread is where I’d suggest looking for an answer. It all depends on what formats are passed the TVs ARC given the the formats input to the TV.
I did look in the A1E thread but it's not as active as this one. I was also thinking it was ATV related as the native TV Apps (Netflix) plays the two shows mentioned above just fine in 5.1

·
Registered
413 Posts
Are you sure you're selecting the 4K HDR-enhanced version of the content? Amazon does this bizarre thing where they separate the 1080p and UHD versions of a particular title in separate areas of their content menu. You need to make sure it says 4K in the content title info page.
Just to confirm what others have said, yes I tested with the UltraHD versions of Jack Ryan and The Boys.

If I launched the Prime Video app while ATV video mode was set to 4KSDR, the "HDR" icon would not appear on the episode description (but "UHD 4K" would) and HDR mode would not play. If I launched the Prime Video app while ATV video mode was set to 4KHDR (or 4KDolbyVision) then the HDR icon would appear alongside the "UHD 4K" icon on the exact same video listings, and HDR would play.

What was expected is that when launching in 4K SDR Mode (with Range Match enabled) that the HDR mode would still list and play, switch the display into HDR mode when the video started. Interestingly, the reverse is true. If I start the app with ATV video mode set to 4KHDR + Range Match, then play a SDR video, the TV mode switches back to SDR mode while that video is playing.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I did look in the A1E thread but it's not as active as this one. I was also thinking it was ATV related as the native TV Apps (Netflix) plays the two shows mentioned above just fine in 5.1
Read this: https://support.apple.com/guide/tv/adjust-video-and-audio-settings-atvba773c3c9/12.0/tvos/12.0

"Audio format: By default, Apple TV uses the best audio format available. You can change the audio format if you’re experiencing problems with playback. Select Audio Format, then select Change Format and choose either Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital 5.1, or Stereo."

If auto not working for you then I suggest manually setting "Dolby Digital 5.1" as most ARC sets will pass that. Decoded PCM 5.1 might not pass thru ARC on your set.

For more info about what your set passes along to ARC port you really need to go to a different thread.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Just to confirm what others have said, yes I tested with the UltraHD versions of Jack Ryan and The Boys.

If I launched the Prime Video app while ATV video mode was set to 4KSDR, the "HDR" icon would not appear on the episode description (but "UHD 4K" would) and HDR mode would not play. If I launched the Prime Video app while ATV video mode was set to 4KHDR (or 4KDolbyVision) then the HDR icon would appear alongside the "UHD 4K" icon on the exact same video listings, and HDR would play.

What was expected is that when launching in 4K SDR Mode (with Range Match enabled) that the HDR mode would still list and play, switch the display into HDR mode when the video started. Interestingly, the reverse is true. If I start the app with ATV video mode set to 4KHDR + Range Match, then play a SDR video, the TV mode switches back to SDR mode while that video is playing.
File a bug report with Amazon. ;-p

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #24,509 (Edited)
I did the update to 12.4.1

I can now get HDR

So, so far, it looks like this patch fixed Amazon HDR.
If my ATV is set to 4K SDR w/ Range Match set to On, the Prime Video app will never switch to HDR
If I launched the Prime Video app while ATV video mode was set to 4KSDR, the "HDR" icon would not appear on the episode description (but "UHD 4K" would)
I see no change after the 12.4.1 update (which is advertised as a security update). E.g with 4K-SDR/Match On Maisel S1E8 is HDR, S2E1 is SDR and S2E2 is HDR. Various other video that should be in HDR might or might not be. Please let us now if you've verified the stream with the HUD.

·
Registered
11 Posts
"Audio format: By default, Apple TV uses the best audio format available. You can change the audio format if you’re experiencing problems with playback. Select Audio Format, then select Change Format and choose either Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital 5.1, or Stereo."

If auto not working for you then I suggest manually setting "Dolby Digital 5.1" as most ARC sets will pass that. Decoded PCM 5.1 might not pass thru ARC on your set.

For more info about what your set passes along to ARC port you really need to go to a different thread.
Thanks and yes that is how I already have it configured set to "Dolby Digital 5.1" as leaving it on "Best Available" only outputs stereo sound no matter what. The issue I am having is more specific to Netflix DV titles and the associated sound.

With everything configured properly in my setup, iTunes, Amazon, Netflix etc. play 5.1 sound as specified when playing a show or movie that specifies it. If it specifies stereo then it plays in stereo. However, if I play a DV title in Netflix that should have 5.1 audio I only get stereo.

I think I have found this is for sure a bug with Netflix via the AppleTV as I was just testing this with Our Planet. This is a DV title and should be in 5.1 but was only playing in stereo. I then changed the audio via the dropdown menu to French and it switched to 5.1 DD (but with French audio of course). Changing it back to English (Original) reverts it back to Stereo. English with AD is in 5.1 as well.

Same thing happens with Another Life, Glow, The Highwaymen, etc. Is there a way to report a bug to Netflix?

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #24,513
Thanks, I submitted. Hopefully something will come of it.
Probably not. Test Patterns S4E3 is 4K DoVi with an AC-3 audio track that does 5.0 channel ID. Disconnect the AVR and using the display speakers play the video on the ATV. Check the audio format as reported by the Sony. If it reports stereo you may get some traction with Netflix. If it reports AC-3 then it's not Netflix.

·
Registered
20,223 Posts
I did the update to 12.4.1

I can now get HDR in The Boys in Amazon. Two days ago, the last time I tried, I could not. Also, I get HDR in I Love Dick in Amazon and could not before. I have tested a few others HDR shows in Amazon that previously got HDR and so far all come across in HDR.

So, so far, it looks like this patch fixed Amazon HDR. I do not have Dolby Vision, so I cannot check that. Ill get a complete list of Amazon HDR content to check about ten more titles to see if any do not deliver.

It was working late last week before 12.4.1 came out (in many things not all things). Not sure how long it’s been since you tested, but we had reports (outside of my own) that The Boys was playing in HDR again (as well as other titles).

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Bought a 4k/blue Ray disc the Avengers from BB playing it in a Panasonic UB820 & digital copy on iTune boy what a difference in pic & sound Q . I am getting cheated by Apple iTune

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Marvel/Disney and Apple really do need to agree on a way to sell UHD versions. It's the most glaring omission from iTunes right now.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I had an interesting observation on the Amazon Prime Video HDR issue (perhaps this has already been covered):

If my ATV is set to 4K SDR w/ Range Match set to On, the Prime Video app will never switch to HDR and show a HDR version of a show.
However, if I set the ATV to 4K HDR (or 4K DolbyVision) still with Range Match set to On, then Prime Video app WILL play the HDR version of a show and correctly switch into HDR mode. This is not the case with other HDR-capable apps like Netflix, which all correctly switch into HDR mode when needed if set to 4KSDR+RangeMatch.

I typically run my ATV in 4KSDR mode, as I end up watching much more SDR content than HDR content in general, so I missed this for a long time. Midly frustrating that Prime Video won't send a video to the device if it isn't already in HDR mode, even if Range Match is enabled...
It’s quirks such as this that have me using my ATV much less often and my other streaming devices much more.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Marvel/Disney and Apple really do need to agree on a way to sell UHD versions. It's the most glaring omission from iTunes right now.
And NO 4K YouTube...

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Bought a 4k/blue Ray disc the Avengers from BB playing it in a Panasonic UB820 & digital copy on iTune boy what a difference in pic & sound Q . I am getting cheated by Apple iTune

Avengers is a Disney/Marvel title so you’re comparing 4K on your BR vs. HD on iTunes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Reactions: galonzo
24501 - 24520 of 30708 Posts