AVS Forum banner

28661 - 28680 of 30813 Posts

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
If you set to 4k SDR they’re downconverted to SDR and played. If you set to Dolby vision, they’ll play in Dolby vision. The alternative for Apple would be a blank screen handshake every time the screensaver came on and given that it’s just a screensaver, I can understand why they went down the conversion route.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Apple serves up native SDR and HDR versions of the screensavers and they aren't converted. That is the reason people see a lack of screensavers if say they always leave their Apple TV in SDR then pause content in HDR, since most of the screensavers on local storage are in SDR.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bboTohF06r-fafrImTExAPqM9m6h2m2lgJyAkQuYVJI/edit#gid=1684411812

·
Registered
124 Posts
Anyone watching October Faction via ATV4k getting crap sound.? I’m getting dialogue bleed in my surrounds and all kind of odd drops.

Not seeing the same with Roku Ultra. Kind of sucks to spend so much on ATVs to have basic issues.

·
Registered
8,210 Posts
Anyone watching October Faction via ATV4k getting crap sound.? I’m getting dialogue bleed in my surrounds and all kind of odd drops.

Not seeing the same with Roku Ultra. Kind of sucks to spend so much on ATVs to have basic issues.
Yes that's been happening for a while on Netflix.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
921 Posts
I think it has something to do with Atmos which you can’t get with Roku Netflix. But I do agree it’s unfortunate it happens and it’s not with all Netflix shows either. But it is limited to Netflix on ATV4K. Hopefully Netflix or Apple will get it resolved. Hell, they still gotta work on the voice sync issues with Prime. :p

·
Registered
8,210 Posts
I think it has something to do with Atmos which you can’t get with Roku Netflix. But I do agree it’s unfortunate it happens and it’s not with all Netflix shows either. But it is limited to Netflix on ATV4K. Hopefully Netflix or Apple will get it resolved. Hell, they still gotta work on the voice sync issues with Prime. :p
Agreed

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,634 Posts

It's been reported to Netflix by several people, but Netflix acts as if it is the first they are hearing of the issue. If I didn't like their programming I would have dropped them. I resolved the issue by purchasing a FireTV Cube. Not an ideal solution, but I have enough invested in Atmos to justify it. At least in my mind.:rolleyes:

Reactions: residentsystems

·
Premium Member
10,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #28,668
Anyone watching October Faction via ATV4k getting crap sound.?
Nope. I watched the series over four days and didn't hear anything odd.
As previously noted I have had issues with Netflix Atmos content but it's been related to stream quality and was not repeatable.

·
Registered
5.1.4 Setup with Dolby Vision capable OLED
998 Posts
I looked at the FAQ but didn't really see an answer to this question. This topic was brought up on another thread but I thought I would come to the sourse.

On the subject of Chroma, the Apple Tv 4K has different chroma options based on whether you choose to output 4K SDR or 4K HDR. The question is, if you choose say 4K SDR 4:2:0, with Match rate and range on, is the output still 4:2:0 when you engage HDR content or say even Dolby Vision content? Or does it actually switch to another sampling mode when HDR engages and then switch back again when it's back to SDR?

·
Premium Member
10,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #28,670
I looked at the FAQ but didn't really see an answer to this question.
If you read all of the answers about chroma, the UI, screen savers and HDMI you'll conclude the answer is yes -- although if you pause to Aerial the current dynamic range persists.

·
Registered
5.1.4 Setup with Dolby Vision capable OLED
998 Posts
If you read all of the answers about chroma, the UI, screen savers and HDMI you'll conclude the answer is yes -- although if you pause to Aerial the current dynamic range persists.

Thanks but I don't think that answers my question. I wasnt talking about dynamic range persisting, I was talking about whether chroma modes changewhen you pick SDR or HDR but use match frame rate. The ATV gives 2 sets of options based on wether you choose SDR (444 or 420) or HDR output (422 or 420). If I set one in SDR mode, does it actually change to a different chroma when HDR content is detected?

I didn't see anything in the FAQ that explains what I am asking. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
10,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #28,672
Thanks but I don't think that answers my question.
It does but I'll amend "you'll conclude the answer is yes" to "you'll correctly conclude the answer is yes".

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
It's been reported to Netflix by several people, but Netflix acts as if it is the first they are hearing of the issue. If I didn't like their programming I would have dropped them. I resolved the issue by purchasing a FireTV Cube. Not an ideal solution, but I have enough invested in Atmos to justify it. At least in my mind.:rolleyes:
It doesn't help that they have not updated the Netflix app on the AppleTV since Nov 11, 2019 at least that is what my app says.

Reactions: shoman94

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
It doesn't help that they have not updated the Netflix app on the AppleTV since Nov 11, 2019 at least that is what my app says.
That's a good point, and I had not checked to see when they last did an update.

·
Registered
21,194 Posts
Nope. I watched the series over four days and didn't hear anything odd.
As previously noted I have had issues with Netflix Atmos content but it's been related to stream quality and was not repeatable.
Yeah, I too have had some trouble with Netflix’ Atmos via my ATV 4K. Several episodes of Season 2 of Formula 1: Drive to Survive had wonky audio. What I gather were supposed to be surround effects sounded more like cave effects. That said, this issue was intermittent and the audio was mostly excellent.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Yeah, I too have had some trouble with Netflix’ Atmos via my ATV 4K. Several episodes of Season 2 of Formula 1: Drive to Survive had wonky audio. What I gather were supposed to be surround effects sounded more like cave effects. That said, this issue was intermittent and the audio was mostly excellent.
Noticed wonky audio during the season 1 steam of Shameless. On one bar scene the surround channels were so loud I couldn't hear the center channel dialog. I thought my kids messed up my surround channel volumes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
921 Posts
so, is "Wonky" some kind of new technical audio term?!? :rolleyes: :p

Reactions: pappaduke

·
Registered
21,194 Posts
I hate, hate, hate the ATV 4K Siri remote. Picking it up off of the table next to my viewing chair has been akin to trying to control a greased pig. More often than not, I have inadvertently pressed a wrong button while trying to get it under control. I have decided to take the advice of an earlier poster who recommended the Streamer Tails ATV 4K Remote Case. I ordered it from Amazon. It is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I will report my impressions. I can say, though, that it can’t be any worse than trying to use the remote by itself has been.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I hate, hate, hate the ATV 4K Siri remote. Picking it up off of the table next to my viewing chair has been akin to trying to control a greased pig. More often than not, I have inadvertently pressed a wrong button while trying to get it under control. I have decided to take the advice of an earlier poster who recommended the Streamer Tails ATV 4K Remote Case. I ordered it from Amazon. It is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I will report my impressions. I can say, though, that it can’t be any worse than trying to use the remote by itself has been.
I personally never use the ATV remote. I have Logitech Harmony and whenever my Harmony is far from my immediate reach, I just pullout my iPhone + remote app for something quick and easy.

Other than that, my original ATV remote remains stored in a drawer.

28661 - 28680 of 30813 Posts