AVS Forum banner

28701 - 28720 of 30734 Posts

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
My ATV4K went dark in the middle of watching AT&T Now. Power went out and it won't power back up. It's about two years old. Anyone else have the same experience? Suggestions?

·
Registered
857 Posts
My ATV4K went dark in the middle of watching AT&T Now. Power went out and it won't power back up. It's about two years old. Anyone else have the same experience? Suggestions?
If it's completely dead it could be the power supply. You can take it apart and try a direct 12v DC connection to see if it boots (videos on YouTube). Maybe wait and pray that applying AC power will get it to boot, but that's a long shot.

Leon McKee

Reactions: MOberhardt

·
Registered
8,207 Posts
Sometimes these power supplies have an auto reset so if you unplug the power supply for 15 minutes or so maybe it will work after.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Hi guys, can i connect a flash drive to an ATV4K? I want to play M2TS and MKV files, any thoughts?

If you have a NAS, you can buy the Infuse app and you have yourself a full fledged high quality media player. It literally plays everything. No regrets whatsoever!

Reactions: DougDingle

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
If you have a NAS, you can buy the Infuse app and you have yourself a full fledged high quality media player. It literally plays everything. No regrets whatsoever!

You don’t need a NAS for that.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Thanks for your responses guys, I just want to demo some material in 1080p DTS MA and some on Dolby Atmos that i have on my laptop and the files are in M2TS and MKV.

I already converted all the files to MP4 in a flash drive and leave the originals on the laptop but while the originals are @ 5637 kb/s Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos the converted file to MP4 are @480 kb/s AAC LC.

I can play the MP4 files through my Samsung TV but i feel I'm missing quality. What would be the best and cheapest options to play the original files uncompressed? What is a NAD?

Sorry for my ignorance guys and thank in advance

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
What would i need?
You can use the computer you already own. Install plex media server. You can use infuse on the atv4k or plex to connect to the plex server.
You can use plex on any device to connect to it as well. Phone, tablet, smart TVs, any streaming device. Etc. And stream both inside the home and outside to friends and family. No messing with USB sticks.
You won’t have to convert files either.

I have well over 2000 movies on my setup and have been running a HTPC or various devices of one kind or another for nearly 2 decades. I’ve never owned a NAS.
Lots of different things you can do for various scenarios depending on your needs/wants. I can’t use a NAS for what I do but it can work for others depending on what they need.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts

I’m sure you tried the obvious: unplugging, waiting a few min, and replugging in? Also make sure the circuit you are plugged into is delivering power (and that a surge protector did not trigger.) And finally verify with another device that the HDMI ports in your video chain are working.

Also you can try a reboot with the remote and see if you get a flashing light on the front panel:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201836

Generally we do not see people reporting faulty units in the forum (I’m sure I’ll be corrected) so it is unusual but if you had a power surge when your power came back that could cause issues with any equipment.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
You can use the computer you already own. Install plex media server. You can use infuse on the atv4k or plex to connect to the plex server.
You can use plex on any device to connect to it as well. Phone, tablet, smart TVs, any streaming device. Etc. And stream both inside the home and outside to friends and family. No messing with USB sticks.
You won’t have to convert files either.

I have well over 2000 movies on my setup and have been running a HTPC or various devices of one kind or another for nearly 2 decades. I’ve never owned a NAS.
Lots of different things you can do for various scenarios depending on your needs/wants. I can’t use a NAS for what I do but it can work for others depending on what they need.
The idea with the nas is more that you can put an entire collection on it, have redundancy with a raid array, and get one that will host a streaming app like Plex on it. So if you don't have or want a PC or don't want something complex. HTPCs I never got into due mainly to HDCP being a nightmare, not to mention nowadays the pack of 3D support for hdmi output.

I'm vaguely considering a NAS myself, for data redundancy and I guess protecting my collection (especially stuff now out of print) but it is a lot of work converting my discs. money for hardware, and a lot of storage needed.

·
Registered
20,226 Posts
The idea with the nas is more that you can put an entire collection on it, have redundancy with a raid array, and get one that will host a streaming app like Plex on it. So if you don't have or want a PC or don't want something complex. HTPCs I never got into due mainly to HDCP being a nightmare, not to mention nowadays the pack of 3D support for hdmi output.

I'm vaguely considering a NAS myself, for data redundancy and I guess protecting my collection (especially stuff now out of print) but it is a lot of work converting my discs. money for hardware, and a lot of storage needed.

It’s easier than it sounds, the longest part is ripping your discs, but you get sued to it and can delegate to background tasks. Once you start ripping you won’t want to stop though.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
It’s easier than it sounds, the longest part is ripping your discs, but you get sued to it and can delegate to background tasks. Once you start ripping you won’t want to stop though.
Yeah I should look at it more. I would prefer iso format though so extras etc. Or at least something I could port extras easily.

It is a few $Ks cost though just for hardware for my discs though.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts

Oh I get it. There’s just other options. I’ve used computers loaded with hard drives. I’ve built servers. Now I just use a DAS. A drobo specifically. You get redundancy without having to have matched drives. Unless you get expensive NAS you’re limited on power which can be an issue depending on how many simultaneous streams you run or if there’s other software you need running as I do. So a drobo works perfect for me. I have 2 but only one houses my media collection. 2x 14tb drives and 3x 8tb drives in that one.

Or just take any old computer you have laying around and stuff it with drives. Utilize windows storage spaces. I’ve used that as a server for awhile. Now I use it for other things.
Lots of other options.
I’ve used that drobo connected to an iMac, Mac mini and a PC for serving. Works great on any of them.

I no longer use HTPCs. No need anymore. But when I did I never had issues with HDCP.

Reactions: MOberhardt

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Oh I get it. There’s just other options. I’ve used computers loaded with hard drives. I’ve built servers. Now I just use a DAS. A drobo specifically. You get redundancy without having to have matched drives. Unless you get expensive NAS you’re limited on power which can be an issue depending on how many simultaneous streams you run or if there’s other software you need running as I do. So a drobo works perfect for me. I have 2 but only one houses my media collection. 2x 14tb drives and 3x 8tb drives.

Or just take any old computer you have laying around and stuff it with drives. Utilize windows storage spaces. I’ve used that as a server for awhile. Now I use it for other things.
Lots of other options.
I’ve used that drobo connected to an iMac, Mac mini and a PC for serving. Works great on any of them.

I no longer use HTPCs. No need anymore. But when I did I never had issues with HDCP.
Hmm, a DAS. I wasn't even aware of the concept. I like the idea of redundancy without matched drives too. Hmm, something else to look into. Cheers!

It has been a long time since I've had a desktop though, home and work! Laptops are much easier!

·
aka jfinnie
4,220 Posts
Hmm, a DAS. I wasn't even aware of the concept. I like the idea of redundancy without matched drives too. Hmm, something else to look into. Cheers!
You can also use unRAID on lots of PC based hardware (I'm using it on a Terramaster 4 bay chassis). It allows mixing of drive sizes and unlike RAID, if you lose more than the specified number of drives for the parity level you can still access the data on the remaining drives. It is very popular with folk storing lots of video content. https://unraid.net/

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Netflix Atmos Issue

Yeah, I too have had some trouble with Netflix’ Atmos via my ATV 4K. Several episodes of Season 2 of Formula 1: Drive to Survive had wonky audio. What I gather were supposed to be surround effects sounded more like cave effects. That said, this issue was intermittent and the audio was mostly excellent.
Noticed wonky audio during the season 1 steam of Shameless. On one bar scene the surround channels were so loud I couldn't hear the center channel dialog. I thought my kids messed up my surround channel volumes.

Since getting the 2019 Shield for bitstreamed Atmos and proper 24.00Hz support with Netflix (using the 3rd party Refresh Rate app), I haven't been able to watch very much content with Atmos (just The Irishman, where I didn't notice anything "wonky" happening with the audio there), however, I did notice one instance of the narrator of Night on Earth coming through on an obviously incorrect speaker at one point, so it appears to be an issue with Atmos on Netflix, not necessarily an issue with Atmos on Netflix on the ATV (I haven't watched a lot of Atmos content on Netflix since the latest official firmware update for the Shield, however; just a few minutes of a few different shows to make sure everything still works).

28701 - 28720 of 30734 Posts