AVS Forum banner

29601 - 29620 of 30738 Posts

·
Registered
13,128 Posts
very time consuming and eventually I got tired of it anyway.
That's also my experience. So whenever someone comes along asking for "mkv, mp4 files" playback it's not the picture of someone tediously and meticulously making copies of discs he bought (and also wants to keep) that is popping up in my head ;)

Reactions: galonzo

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
Some of us would just prefer Apple to offer lossless audio directly in purchased iTunes content.

·
Registered
620 Posts
That's also my experience. So whenever someone comes along asking for "mkv, mp4 files" playback it's not the picture of someone tediously and meticulously making copies of discs he bought (and also wants to keep) that is popping up in my head ;)

Why? You get a disc, pop it in your computer and start MakeMKV, and 30 minutes later you have your mkv file of your movie to watch through Infuse on your ATV or whatever else. Anyway, like others have said, this isn’t really about the Apple TV anymore.

·
Registered
263 Posts
If I launch Disney+ content from the TV App, I get an HDCP error and it won't play. If I launch same content from the Disney+ App, it plays normally. Any suggestions? thanks

·
Registered
20,227 Posts
If I launch Disney+ content from the TV App, I get an HDCP error and it won't play. If I launch same content from the Disney+ App, it plays normally. Any suggestions? thanks

What troubleshooting have you tried, it will save us time from suggesting rebooting, reinstalling application, trying a new HDMI cable, etc.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hello. I will be using a ATV4K with my LG C9" and my ONKYO TX-NR787. I would like that my TV does all the video processing not the Onkyo AVR and would like to be able to watch movies and series with ATMOS tracks. Is there a special requirement I should look at my ONKYO so I can achieve that? I will also be playing UHD movies with ATMOS track using my separate UHD player. Thank you very much for your help!

·
Registered
20,227 Posts
Hello. I will be using a ATV4K with my LG C9" and my ONKYO TX-NR787. I would like that my TV does all the video processing not the Onkyo AVR and would like to be able to watch movies and series with ATMOS tracks. Is there a special requirement I should look at my ONKYO so I can achieve that? I will also be playing UHD movies with ATMOS track using my separate UHD player. Thank you very much for your help!

This should be asked in the Onkyo owners thread for your model, it’s OT (IMO) for the AppleTV section.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Has anyone else noticed the STARZ app has elevated black levels? What should be black turns gray.

I compared the STARZ app to the Apple TV STARZ channel and the channel looks fine.

Turns out, this has been an issue for over(!) a year now.

images attached. I took this with my iphone and yes it does some auto settings but it really does look that bad when viewed on an OLED TV where black is truly black.
It has been my experience that the straight Apps HBO, Showtime, Starz etc look better when you invoke them via AppleTV or through Amazon Prime. It appears the Servers Apple & Amazon have create a better picture that the basic App servers IMHO.

·
Registered
15,215 Posts
I would love that as well but that would cause the audio bitrate to grow roughly six times.

So what! The only things that would get me to purchase downloads would be: tetherless files that did not require a phone-home component and would continue to work as long as it was in my possession, and straight up A/V as good or better than UHD Blu-ray. That's 12 bit 2160p video with 100 Mbps or higher peaks , 24 bit/48 kHz and higher bit-for-bit lossless audio, dynamic HDR, etc.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
So what! The only things that would get me to purchase downloads would be: tetherless files that did not require a phone-home component, and straight up A/V as good or better than UHD Blu-ray. That's 12 bit 2160p video with 100 Mbps or higher peaks , 24 bit/48 kHz and higher bit-for-bit lossless audio, dynamic HDR, etc.
Yes, I think we all know 4K BDs are significantly higher bitrate for the video and audio streams.

As far as the "so what!?" when you consider adding lossless audio streaming support would cause the asset stream to grow by around 33% over the current bitrates, don't count on it happening due to the lack of demand and hosting costs.

Even if I could get a bit-perfect representation of a 4K BD via streaming, I would still buy my discs, back them up and watch locally. Streaming is a flexibility mechanism for me to access my movies on my phone/tablet or let others watch some of my movies.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Yes, I think we all know 4K BDs are significantly higher bitrate for the video and audio streams.

As far as the "so what!?" when you consider adding lossless audio streaming support would cause the asset stream to grow by around 33% over the current bitrates, don't count on it happening due to the lack of demand and hosting costs.

Even if I could get a bit-perfect representation of a 4K BD via streaming, I would still buy my discs, back them up and watch locally. Streaming is a flexibility mechanism for me to access my movies on my phone/tablet or let others watch some of my movies.

Question (slightly off-topic). How is the 2019 Shield handling Atmos from Netflix and Vudu for example. Is it lossless bit-perfect?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Question (slightly off-topic). How is the 2019 Shield handling Atmos from Netflix and Vudu for example. Is it lossless bit-perfect?

No, Netflix and Vudu don’t offer any lossless content on any device.
As Nathan pointed out, all streaming is lossy E-AC-3, you will only get lossless from disc. That said, the Shield does directly bitstream the audio whereas the ATV handles the decoding internally.

iTunes offers the highest streaming bitrate assets from the video side to the audio side and the ATV remains my favorite for streaming content consumption device.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
As Nathan pointed out, all streaming is lossy E-AC-3, you will only get lossless from disc. That said, the Shield does directly bitstream the audio whereas the ATV handles the decoding internally.

iTunes offers the highest streaming bitrate assets from the video side to the audio side and the ATV remains my favorite for streaming content consumption device.

Thanks. Re bitrates, I have noticed that the MA app is a tad higher (just a few Mbps) than even itunes these days but I agree, generally speaking ATV is my all around favorite. The new Shields AI upscaling is pretty good too for HD

Reactions: davcole and kbmb

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Ethernet broken

Hey guys,

Been awhile since I have posted on AVS, but I still lurk and find great projects to implement (like my recent ceiling blackout.) I have been very happy with my appletv 4k, and the combo of Infuse and the Plex beta app. Right now the Plex beta app is jacking up 7.1 output as it swaps the rear and side surrounds. Working with there support on that one.

Anywho, recently my AppletV 4k, won't recognize the ethernet port on the device. I can connect fine with wifi, but no love wired. Nothing has changed in the "infrastructure" recently. Still using Google wifi, still using the same 1gb unmanaged switch, same cables, etc.

I tried a different port on the switch, tried a different cable, did a full system reset, updated to the latest beta, plugged the appletv directly into the google router, plugged the appletv directly into the cable modem. Nothing gets me lights or an ip address.

Any thoughts on how to wake the ethernet port up? Or is it just dead?

Thanks in advance for any tips you can provide.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Hey guys,

Been awhile since I have posted on AVS, but I still lurk and find great projects to implement (like my recent ceiling blackout.) I have been very happy with my appletv 4k, and the combo of Infuse and the Plex beta app. Right now the Plex beta app is jacking up 7.1 output as it swaps the rear and side surrounds. Working with there support on that one.

Anywho, recently my AppletV 4k, won't recognize the ethernet port on the device. I can connect fine with wifi, but no love wired. Nothing has changed in the "infrastructure" recently. Still using Google wifi, still using the same 1gb unmanaged switch, same cables, etc.

I tried a different port on the switch, tried a different cable, did a full system reset, updated to the latest beta, plugged the appletv directly into the google router, plugged the appletv directly into the cable modem. Nothing gets me lights or an ip address.

Any thoughts on how to wake the ethernet port up? Or is it just dead?

Thanks in advance for any tips you can provide.

Did you try plugging the cable that connects the switch with the network directly into the ATV?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Did you try plugging the cable that connects the switch with the network directly into the ATV?

Thanks for replying!

I did not use the same cable, but I essentially did that when I plugged the appletv directly into my google WiFi router. The router has one port, that normally feeds the switch.

I’ll try it again, but using the cable that feeds the switch. Can’t hurt.

That switch services the all my wired endpoints - plex server, Rokus, etc. so I know it’s working.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I posted in the AVR thread but I want to post here as well. I just got a Denon X4500 and I am having a problem displaying DV from my ATV4K. when I test it, the picture is all PINK and GREEN! I can get DV from my UHD no problem. I've tried several different certified cables and keep getting the same problem. What am I doing wrong?:confused:

29601 - 29620 of 30738 Posts