AVS Forum banner

29981 - 30000 of 30748 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Also, to see the ‘Apple TV Remote’ in the Control Center you may need to customize the Control Center in the system Settings app.

Here is more info: https://support.apple.com/guide/tv/use-ios-or-ipados-control-center-atvb701cadc1/tvOS

You don’t seem to need the App installed to use it this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I checked my Wife's phone and she does indeed have Apple TV Keyboard under notifications. Looks like it does rely on using the same AppleID then to get the notifications.

Reactions: pappaduke

·
Registered
204 Posts
Gotcha, so you’️re seeing exactly what the OP mentioned. Natural size is 1080p when output is SDR. Must have missed that.
Actually, only if Range matching is OFF. Otherwise, if Range matching is ON and it's set for 4K SDR, you'll still get HDR (or DV in my example).
Thanks for this. Yeah seems Sdr will only serve 1080p so implies they don’t have a sdr 4K stream to serve like Netflix and Prime do

·
Registered
82 Posts
But you're only getting the base mix, not the Atmos version. Active object rendering only kicks in if you have designated speakers (overhead, height, or "enabled" bounce speakers).
I was only countering the idea that Atmos was not advertised or enabled without the height speakers set up. Mine should not show Atmos at all, yet it still does.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Is it just me or does somehow apple rubbish continually loses settings after an update? I so often incredibly ticked off as this happens both with iTunes Windows (where after EVERY update it reverts download to 720p) to my 4k Apple TV. I made the sad mistake of doing a software update tonight before watching a new 4k dv purchase, Underwater. After the update for some reason it was asking me about Dolby Vision again. Odd. Ok yes dv is ok , continue. Start watching the movie. Horrific banding. Just horrific. About an hour in I think, this can't be right. Everyone just raves about the quality. So on the Hdfury I bring up the OSD and see 50p. WTF? So I go back to my settings and gee, guess what? The match frame rate and dynamic range settings have both reverted to the idiot default factory settings.
I put back to my prior settings and wow what an improvement.
I disabled updates for iTunes due to this. But now I need to stick a friggin post it on my ATV to remind me to recheck settings.

Are their developers idiots, or malicious trolls? I don't know which is worse.

·
Registered
250 Posts
As a tule of thumb you always have to check the settings of the ATV after an update. Especially the video (match) settings tend to revert to defaults...

Reactions: MOberhardt

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Is it just me or does somehow apple rubbish continually loses settings after an update? I so often incredibly ticked off as this happens both with iTunes Windows (where after EVERY update it reverts download to 720p) to my 4k Apple TV. I made the sad mistake of doing a software update tonight before watching a new 4k dv purchase, Underwater. After the update for some reason it was asking me about Dolby Vision again. Odd. Ok yes dv is ok , continue. Start watching the movie. Horrific banding. Just horrific. About an hour in I think, this can't be right. Everyone just raves about the quality. So on the Hdfury I bring up the OSD and see 50p. WTF? So I go back to my settings and gee, guess what? The match frame rate and dynamic range settings have both reverted to the idiot default factory settings.
I disabled updates for iTunes due to this. But now I need to stick a friggin post it on my ATV to remind me to recheck settings.

In all the years i've owned apple tv's i've only had the settings revert once. That's it.

Reactions: dianebrat

·
Registered
640 Posts
WOAH! This thread just reached a milestone! 1,000 pages!

Reactions: joe221

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I have a lip sync issue on the Amazon Prime app with the ATV4K - I don't appear to have it on any other apps. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I haven't used my ATV for a few weeks but two movies I streamed this week (one via Netflix the other from Apple) had massive lip sync discrepancies, something I have never noticed before. I couldn't find a lip sync adjustment in the ATV but in my AVR I had to dial in 225 ms and I may need more. No changes to my system other than a minor firmware update to my AVR. What happened?

On this topic, does anyone know of any steaming content designed to help adjust for lip sync errors? I have such a track on one of my set-up DVD's but that doesn't help me since the lip sync errors only happen in the ATV and not through the Blu-ray player.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I haven't used my ATV for a few weeks but two movies I streamed this week (one via Netflix the other from Apple) had massive lip sync discrepancies, something I have never noticed before. I couldn't find a lip sync adjustment in the ATV but in my AVR I had to dial in 225 ms and I may need more. No changes to my system other than a minor firmware update to my AVR. What happened?

On this topic, does anyone know of any steaming content designed to help adjust for lip sync errors? I have such a track on one of my set-up DVD's but that doesn't help me since the lip sync errors only happen in the ATV and not through the Blu-ray player.

Thanks.
No lip sync issues here. And I just watched netflix and ATV+ yesterday. On occasion I may see that on amazon but it's rare.
I connect my main ATV to a denon 3300 and then to my LG B6.

·
Registered
16,341 Posts

I've had Apple TV's since the ATV3 (I currently own and ATV4 and an ATV4k) and have never had my settings change after an update. I do check, as I do any device I have that receives an update (and I keep a Word .doc to refer back to just in case) but so far, no settings changes.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I have a lip sync issue on the Amazon Prime app with the ATV4K - I don't appear to have it on any other apps. Any ideas?
I had lip sync issues just on Prime as well. I used the calibration function on the ATV (you need an iPhone) and that worked for me. Takes about 30 secs to try - george

·
Registered
223 Posts
I had lip sync issues just on Prime as well. I used the calibration function on the ATV (you need an iPhone) and that worked for me. Takes about 30 secs to try - george
First time I have heard of this calibration function on the ATV. Did a search and did not find any information about it? How about more information on this?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Has anyone heard anything about if Hulu might be getting ATV 4K support for surround sound anytime soon? I don't know if it's some jacked up emulated version or what, but I noticed amusingly that my Comcast DVR now has a Hulu app on it so I logged in and many many things were showing as a 5.1 signal on my receiver. I'd really prefer to use the ATV app though because any of the apps on the DVR box (Netflix, YouTube, Hulu) so far have been a laggy slow mess.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Has anyone heard anything about if Hulu might be getting ATV 4K support for surround sound anytime soon? I don't know if it's some jacked up emulated version or what, but I noticed amusingly that my Comcast DVR now has a Hulu app on it so I logged in and many many things were showing as a 5.1 signal on my receiver. I'd really prefer to use the ATV app though because any of the apps on the DVR box (Netflix, YouTube, Hulu) so far have been a laggy slow mess.
I wish. Hulu's lack of surround sound on Apple TV is the only reason I have a Fire Stick. The last supported device was added back in January. They seem to be working on a lot of other enhancements. But, who knows when surround will come to Apple TV. However, even on the devices that are listed as supported, its hit or miss. One week a show will have surround. The next week it wont.

29981 - 30000 of 30748 Posts