AVS Forum banner

30001 - 30020 of 31544 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
This only for wireless speakers connected via AirPlay, right?
I used the 'Wireless Audio Sync' with wired speakers to aid in unsynchronized audio issues.

It appears the 'Wireless Audio Sync' found in the ATV4K settings icon under "Video and Sound" once Calibrated with in conjunction with iPhone or iPad will play a series of tones. The iPhone then measures how long it takes to hear the sounds. This calculation is then saved on the Apple TV. This Calibration seems to have solved my Amazon Prime unsynchronized audio issues :) Thanks for the tip . @Neil S. Bulk

The tvOS operating system can then send audio earlier or later using the time offset it calculated from the Wireless Audio Sync data, thereby synchronizing audio and visual outputs.

If you have an Apple TV, particularly when connected to a secondary speaker system, then you can be afflicted by a common AV issue: unsynchronized audio.

The video signal is processed by the TV at a slightly different time than the audio is transmitted from the speaker system. This leads to a delay where the audio is out-of-sync to the video frames, often noticeable by looking at an actor’s lips move … but hearing the words a beat later.

Depending on your exact setup, the magnitude of this lag can differ. This means the Apple TV cannot correct for the offset on its own.

However, with iOS 13 and tvOS 13, Apple aims to combat this problem. You can enter a new configuration step called Wireless Audio Sync. This is initiated by pressing a button in the Apple TV settings.

You can then use any iPhone or iPad on iOS 13 to start the process; a notification appears on nearby devices. When you tap the notification, the flow appears as popup-cards on your iOS device, similar to the interface for pairing AirPods or a HomePod.
It is important to note: You'll have to calibrate for every format 1080p, 1080p24, 4k SDR 60, 4kHDR 24 ,Et cetera. It only takes seconds and once it's done you're set.

https://9to5mac.com/2019/06/18/ios-13-uses-your-iphone-microphone-to-fix-apple-tv-audio-sync-issues/

Reactions: Neil S. Bulk

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I used the 'Wireless Audio Sync' with wired speakers to aid in unsynchronized audio issues.

It appears the 'Wireless Audio Sync' found in the ATV4K settings icon under "Video and Sound" once Calibrated with in conjunction with iPhone or iPad will play a series of tones. The iPhone then measures how long it takes to hear the sounds. This calculation is then saved on the Apple TV. This Calibration seems to have solved my Amazon Prime unsynchronized audio issues :) Thanks for the tip . @Neil S. Bulk

The tvOS operating system can then send audio earlier or later using the time offset it calculated from the Wireless Audio Sync data, thereby synchronizing audio and visual outputs.

It is important to note: You'll have to calibrate for every format 1080p, 1080p24, 4k SDR 60, 4kHDR 24 ,Et cetera. It only takes seconds and once it's done you're set.

https://9to5mac.com/2019/06/18/ios-13-uses-your-iphone-microphone-to-fix-apple-tv-audio-sync-issues/

So how does it work if the phone is also not viewing something on the screen to synchronize with? You need both a tone and an image (like a screen flash) to do this right and you guys are saying it only uses tones. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
So how does it work if the phone is also not viewing something on the screen to synchronize with? You need both a tone and an image (like a screen flash) to do this right and you guys are saying it only uses tones. Am I missing something?

I just tried this and it seems to have fixed my lip sync issue with Amazon Prime. It has you point you phone at the TV (or projector screen in my case) so my guess is it uses the camera and microphone on the iphone to sync.

Reactions: nathan_h

·
Premium Member
10,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #30,006
Both devices have a very precise digital clock?
Yeah, time sync is probably important here but they may just be making some assumptions regarding latency.

I just tried this and it seems to have fixed my lip sync issue with Amazon Prime. It has you point you phone at the TV (or projector screen in my case) so my guess is it uses the camera and microphone on the iphone to sync.
It says hold the phone near the TV (meaning speakers).

The tooltip says:
"Synchronize audio from your TV with other AirPlay speakers in your home. Plus, align video playback with AirPlay or Bluetooth audio output."

The on-phone process comment about "audio and video" cannot be true in the expected sense. It seems obvious that it's adjusting for network (BT/WiFi) induced audio latency using the phone as an typical example. It just does what it says on the tin.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
That has not been my experience. I use an AV receiver and this cleared up my sync issues.

It really cannot solve video lag that synchronizes a TVs video processing with audio and I doubt the folks that say you have to do this with every framerate since, because again, the video delay is not addressed.

This can only tell the Apple TV what the delay is between when it emits audio and when it hears it and this is general only an issue with Bluetooth and wireless (airplay in this case.)

It may fix issues if you have a audio delay set (or TV) in your AVR as it may effectively “undo” that delay.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
That has not been my experience. I use an AV receiver and this cleared up my sync issues.

I’m not doubting this fixed your issue but I am curious, how is your audio connected? Are you using airplay (or Bluetooth) and not hdmi? It is very easy (too easy) to accidentally be using airplay if your AVR supports it and not realize you are using airplay. (Or you could have a delay set on you a AVR that this is compensating for.)

·
Registered
556 Posts
I’m not doubting this fixed your issue but I am curious, how is your audio connected? Are you using airplay (or Bluetooth) and not hdmi? It is very easy (too easy) to accidentally be using airplay if your AVR supports it and not realize you are using airplay. (Or you could have a delay set on you a AVR that this is compensating for.)
HDMI. My receiver pre-dates AirPlay support.

·
Premium Member
10,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #30,011
This only for wireless speakers connected via AirPlay, right?
Yes. That's what it says when you select it on the ATV. You can't synchronize audio and video unless you're comparing the audio to the video. It's certainly possible that you could monitor a sync. pattern (e.g. one of the ones on Netflix) and the audio with a phone. That's not what this is doing. Apple is clever not supernatural.

Of course the real issue with audio/video synchronization is it varies by content even from the same provider. This is why systems like the HDMI delay notification can't work, the 'known' video processing delay is just one part of the problem.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I used the 'Wireless Audio Sync' with wired speakers connected to my Dennon AVR to aid in unsynchronized audio issues.

The tvOS operating system can then send audio earlier or later using the time offset it calculated from the Wireless Audio Sync data, thereby synchronizing audio .

You boys are over thinking this Wireless Audio Sync. The phrase ]Wireless Audio Sync means you are using your iPhone or iPad as a wireless Audio Sound calibration microphone at the main listening position. It Manually: Calibrates the center channel or TV speakers if you use them. Video is not used for the calibration and not the focus of the feature of]Wireless Audio Sync in my experience calibrating using Wireless Audio SyncThe Apple TV will play a series of tones. The iPhone then measures how long it takes to hear the sounds. This calculation is then saved on the Apple TV. The tvOS operating system can then send audio earlier or later using the time offset it calculated from the Wireless Audio Sync data, thereby synchronizing audio in relation to the video. Wireless Audio Sync is similar to using a microphone connected to AVR to calibrate your speakers except it focuses on the center channel in my set-up secondary speaker system to clean up the delay where the audio is out-of-sync. I have been frustrated by the Prime Video audio lag via the ATV4K for years and this Wireless Audio Sync feature resolved the issue with my wired speakers regarding unsynchronized audio. Whether I was using it how Apple intended or not the procedure fixed the issue that's what's important. I hope it will aid other ATV4K Amazon Prime users. Peace.

·
Premium Member
10,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #30,013
The phrase ]Wireless Audio Sync means you are using your iPhone or iPad as a wireless Audio Sound calibration microphone at the main listening position.
Do you have any evidence from Apple to support your assertions?

On the Apple TV it says Wireless Audio Sync will:
"Synchronize audio from you TV with other AirPlay speakers in your house. Plus align video playback with AirPlay or Bluetooth audio output."

When it starts the ATV says:
Apple TV will use your iPhone to measure how long your television takes to
play audio and video. It must be on the same network as your Apple TV.
Bring your iPhone close to your television, and tap the notification to begin.

The iPhone says:
Preparing ...
Hold this iPhone close to your television.

Listening...
Your Apple TV is playing tones from your speakers.

Audio Sync Complete
Apple TV synchronized wireless audio to match your television.

·
Registered
401 Posts
All we can say is strange things happen sometime. Why is it only the ATV Prime App that had lip sync issues? Don’t know. But I did try the wireless sync option and it seemed to work. If it didn’t I always had the choice of using the Prime app on the C9, especially now as my processor has eARC - but at the end of the day I prefer the sound from the ATV versus the LG apps - george

·
Registered
556 Posts
Do you have any evidence from Apple to support your assertions?

On the Apple TV it says Wireless Audio Sync will:
"Synchronize audio from you TV with other AirPlay speakers in your house. Plus align video playback with AirPlay or Bluetooth audio output."

When it starts the ATV says:
Apple TV will use your iPhone to measure how long your television takes to
play audio and video. It must be on the same network as your Apple TV.
Bring your iPhone close to your television, and tap the notification to begin.

The iPhone says:
Preparing ...
Hold this iPhone close to your television.

Listening...
Your Apple TV is playing tones from your speakers.

Audio Sync Complete
Apple TV synchronized wireless audio to match your television.
What further evidence do you need? People in this thread, myself included, had a sync problem. We ran Wireless Audio Sync and no longer had a sync problem.

·
Premium Member
10,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #30,016
What further evidence do you need? People in this thread, myself included, had a sync problem. We ran Wireless Audio Sync and no longer had a sync problem.
Ideally a document that explains how the ATV can do the impossible. Or even a plausible explanation of how the impossible is happening by design as opposed to a fortuitous accident.

I have a sync problem. Running Wireless Audio Sync didn't change it. Adjusting audio delay in my AVR does (for the most part).

·
Premium Member
10,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #30,018
None of my other devices ever had a sync issue before.
You've been fortunate, both in devices and content since sync errors happen in both. My ATVs have both lower output and greater sync errors (for some content) than my other sources. Fortunately I can fix both problems in my AVR.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Does the Apple TV 4k still do tone-mapping? Interested in sending BT2020, but SDR to my LS10000. Was reading a while back they had implemented it but there were issues with the output, then read something about a "match dynamic range" setting, but I'm unable to discern from the discussion whether it's still doing tone mapping of any kind for 4k WCG-capable tv's that don't have SDR.

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
Does the Apple TV 4k still do tone-mapping? Interested in sending BT2020, but SDR to my LS10000. Was reading a while back they had implemented it but there were issues with the output, then read something about a "match dynamic range" setting, but I'm unable to discern from the discussion whether it's still doing tone mapping of any kind for 4k WCG-capable tv's that don't have SDR.
The ATV has never output rec2020 sdr. You can output 4k sdr no problem but it is rec709 color.

30001 - 30020 of 31544 Posts