AVS Forum banner

30041 - 30060 of 31538 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
The app runs on the Apple TV and shows test patterns and some help text how to use them. You navigate the app with the ATV remote.
The issue I'm having with your app (or more likely my LG TV) is that the 2 overscan patterns indicate some minor 'shrinking' or lowering is needed with my 4k ATV. But when I go into my LG C8's overscan/zoom settings the patterns immediately distort, so I cant figure out how to make much to lower or zoom out. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
13,414 Posts
The issue I'm having with your app (or more likely my LG TV) is that the 2 overscan patterns indicate some minor 'shrinking' or lowering is needed with my 4k ATV. But when I go into my LG C8's overscan/zoom settings the patterns immediately distort, so I cant figure out how to make much to lower or zoom out. Does that make sense?
Doesn't compute. If you set your LG to Aspect Ratio > Just Scan you should get a pixel perfect picture without any distortion.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Match Frame Rate/Dolby Vision Weirdness

I was playing around with my ATV4K this morning. When watching Dolby Vision encoded shows on Netflix, I found that if I have the "Match Frame Rate" option toggled to "off", the programs play in HDR, but not in Dolby Vision. "Match Dynamic Range" is "On" and "Format" is set to '4K SDR'

I've not seen this happen before and am wondering if it's just a temporary glitch or if this has been previously discovered by others. Actually, I kind of like it, as I often prefer to watch HDR in the HDR 10 format.

The ATV4K is connected via certified HDMI cable directly to HDMI input 3 on a Sony 65" A8G OLED TV. The enhanced mode is turned on for the HDMI input.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Doesn't compute. If you set your LG to Aspect Ratio > Just Scan you should get a pixel perfect picture without any distortion.
With Just Scan On the only circle that is 100% is the upper left. All the others are slightly chopped. Same when I set to Auto, which I thought I read somewhere is the preferred setting over Auto, but I can't remember why.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,414 Posts
With Just Scan On the only circle that is 100% is the upper left. All the others are slightly chopped. Same when I set to Auto, which I thought I read somewhere is the preferred setting over Auto, but I can't remember why.
Is your ATV4K directly connected to the TV?
Check your other settings in the LG which could cause a picture shift. "Just Scan" should result in a pixel perfect image.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Is your ATV4K directly connected to the TV?
Check your other settings in the LG which could cause a picture shift. "Just Scan" should result in a pixel perfect image.
All my devices go through my Yamaha TSR-7850 AVR, but the ATV4k’s video mode On the AVR is Direct (no processing) and the Aspect is “Through” (does not convert the aspect ratio). So now you’ve got me wondering what other LG settings could cause a picture shift. Hmmmm.

·
Registered
13,414 Posts
All my devices go through my Yamaha TSR-7850 AVR, but the ATV4k’s video mode On the AVR is Direct (no processing) and the Aspect is “Through” (does not convert the aspect ratio). So now you’ve got me wondering what other LG settings could cause a picture shift. Hmmmm.
Connect ATV directly to the LG just to make sure it's not the AVR. Looks like the pattern app is useful :)

Reactions: galonzo and ItzMe

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
Connect ATV directly to the LG just to make sure it's not the AVR. Looks like the pattern app is useful :)

Also, if your AVR is displaying a volume overlay (and it shouldn't in Direct), then unfortunately, it most definitely is applying some sort of processing to the video signal.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I tried to make the Wireless Audio Sync adjustment, but I never had anything pop up on my iPhone. Is there someplace you need to go with your phone to get to the pop up to make the connection? My phone is a few years old, a 6 I think, so maybe this only works with newer phones.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I tried to make the Wireless Audio Sync adjustment, but I never had anything pop up on my iPhone. Is there someplace you need to go with your phone to get to the pop up to make the connection? My phone is a few years old, a 6 I think, so maybe this only works with newer phones.
Check that your iPhone has iOS 13 or later.

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
Thanks. How would you use these patterns?

The app should help the user to get picture settings into the ballpark without any meter. While some patterns might be helpful for spotting problematic areas they will also only serve the purpose of frustrating the user. They soon enough come here, buy a meter and calibration software :)
That is true.

And, it would be very awesome if there was a "expert menu" that had a series of those public domain test patterns for more advanced users, perhaps even some HDR test patterns if possible.....

·
Registered
353 Posts
Thanks. How would you use these patterns?

The app should help the user to get picture settings into the ballpark without any meter. While some patterns might be helpful for spotting problematic areas they will also only serve the purpose of frustrating the user. They soon enough come here, buy a meter and calibration software :)
As you mentioned - with a meter and something like HCFR.
With that said, you are also spot on that this version is for the casual user with no desire to mess with CMS.
Maybe an Advanced version? ;-)

·
Registered
322 Posts

Just Scan On is the correct setting. You most likely have the screen shift anti-burn-in feature enabled on the OLED as well: Picture settings > OLED panel settings > Screen Shift.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Just Scan On is the correct setting. You most likely have the screen shift anti-burn-in feature enabled on the OLED as well: Picture settings > OLED panel settings > Screen Shift.
You are correct , thank you! Turning off Screen Shift fixes the aspect. But I think I should leave it on, given the pros and cons of Screen Shift.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Downscale to 7.1 on Apple TV HD/4K

Hello readers,

When playing a movie title from iTunes having dolby Atmos, and not DD+7.1, would I get on an 7.1 AVR (non-atmos compliant) a 7.1 output on a ATV4 and 5.1 on a ATVHD as it cannot read the atmos track?

Is this correct?

Guido.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Question: For those who do not have apps to auto-update, does it make you aware of when an app needs updated - similar to an iPhone? I often like to be aware of when apps are being updated, as well as how frequently - which you aren't aware of if you have it on auto-update.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Hello readers,

When playing a movie title from iTunes having dolby Atmos, and not DD+7.1, would I get on an 7.1 AVR (non-atmos compliant) a 7.1 output on a ATV4 and 5.1 on a ATVHD as it cannot read the atmos track?

Is this correct?

Guido.
I'll stand corrected, but I believe that you need a 5.1.2 setup at minimum for Atmos.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Question: For those who do not have apps to auto-update, does it make you aware of when an app needs updated - similar to an iPhone? I often like to be aware of when apps are being updated, as well as how frequently - which you aren't aware of if you have it on auto-update.

No it doesn’t.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone get there Apple TV to work in Zone 2, Marantz 7010 owner? I tried it yesterday after installation of the XM, Pandora and Spotify apps. I’m powering two Outside Kelpch speakers in my patio on zone 2 with a separate amp, but while listening to Pandora on my Main Zone, I switched it zone two and lost the sound. Pandora still playing on my tv, but no sound, what up

30041 - 30060 of 31538 Posts