AVS Forum banner

30061 - 30080 of 31150 Posts

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Anyone get there Apple TV to work in Zone 2, Marantz 7010 owner? I tried it yesterday after installation of the XM, Pandora and Spotify apps. I’m powering two Outside Kelpch speakers in my patio on zone 2 with a separate amp, but while listening to Pandora on my Main Zone, I switched it zone two and lost the sound. Pandora still playing on my tv, but no sound, what up
This has probably more to do with your receiver than the Apple TV. In my case I set Zone 2 follows Main and I get music in both my home theater (Zone 1) and my great room (Zone 2) using the HDMI from the Apple TV. Or perhaps you are sending Zone 2 other than stereo PCM or a stereo analog signal from the analog inputs and the receiver's zone 2 can't decode it.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Hello readers,

When playing a movie title from iTunes having dolby Atmos, and not DD+7.1, would I get on an 7.1 AVR (non-atmos compliant) a 7.1 output on a ATV4 and 5.1 on a ATVHD as it cannot read the atmos track?

Is this correct?

Guido.
I can’t speak to iTunes movies as I’ve never used them, but my understanding is that any Atmos title should be backwards compatible with non-Atmos systems, you would get all the Atmos information folded in to your 7 bed channels. I would expect TV to do this for you, outputting the Atmos soundtrack as PCM 7.1, though I’ve never tried turning of my height speakers to see if that’s what happens.

Reactions: nathan_h

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can’t speak to iTunes movies as I’ve never used them, but my understanding is that any Atmos title should be backwards compatible with non-Atmos systems, you would get all the Atmos information folded in to your 7 bed channels. I would expect TV to do this for you, outputting the Atmos soundtrack as PCM 7.1, though I’ve never tried turning of my height speakers to see if that’s what happens.
Well it seems not the case, got the following reply on Apple forum:

The 7.1 or 5.1 audio track is a separate stream, not a channel downmix on the device, and would be available on both Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD.

Who would be willing to test this with a non-atmos AVR and ATV4K? A movie title like Man from UNCLE has the right requirements. Atmos & 5.1 only, and do you get 7.1 with a ATV4K?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hello, please excuse my quick question: I'm going to rip some concerts I have on DVD and BluRay and then, hopefully, be able to stream them using my ATV4K. Could you please recommend me the best equipment (NAS drives? and such) to be able to do that streaming? Thank you very much!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Well it seems not the case, got the following reply on Apple forum:

The 7.1 or 5.1 audio track is a separate stream, not a channel downmix on the device, and would be available on both Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD.

Who would be willing to test this with a non-atmos AVR and ATV4K? A movie title like Man from UNCLE has the right requirements. Atmos & 5.1 only, and do you get 7.1 with a ATV4K?
Ok, I’ll take your word for it as I haven’t tested it and am in the middle of an Atmos speaker mounting project myself. However this does go against what Dolby says on the subject, I quote:

“Dolby Atmos audio tracks (both Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Digital Plus) are backward compatible. If you play a movie mixed in Dolby Atmos on a non Dolby Atmos system, you’ll experience traditional 5.1 or 7.1 audio, depending on the configuration of your speaker system. This means content providers don’t need to provide separate Dolby Atmos and non Dolby Atmos mixes. One mix supports both!

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-atmos/dolby-atmos-for-the-home-theater.pdf

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Well, speaking from a disc perspective, whenever you have an Atmos track only, it contains a 5.1 lossy embedded as a fallback. Never 7.1. so what occurs with lossy Atmos. I don't know I am interested in the answer though from someone who can physically verify, not just speculate based on Google search.

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
Forgive me if you already know this ...

My ATV4K can adjust the volume of my AVR even if I'm using another source.

This is very useful to me. I can easily pull up the ATV4K remote on my phone and adjust the volume even if I'm using a different source component at the time. This could also be useful Information for anyone programming remotes.

=Brian

·
Registered
230 Posts
I had a strange experience watching The Matrix on my Apple TV on iTunes yesterday. It was playing back fine no issues in Dolby Vision, then I paused it on one scene at the 1hour mark and all the colors went crazy. Also the the blacks went into a shadowy gray.

I rebooted the AppleTv and TV and it still looked terrible. To make things even more confusing I used the Movies Anywhere app on the Apple TV and the Matrix played back fine there, in Dolby Vision, no issues.

Is there any way to reset the cache or something of my movie playback so that it doesn’t resume where I left off and maybe resets the stream completely from Apple?

My setup is Vizio P65-F1 using a Belkin 4k/8k HDMI cable sold in Apple stores connected to my Apple TV4K. All firmwares are updated

·
Registered
551 Posts
Well, speaking from a disc perspective, whenever you have an Atmos track only, it contains a 5.1 lossy embedded as a fallback. Never 7.1. so what occurs with lossy Atmos. I don't know I am interested in the answer though from someone who can physically verify, not just speculate based on Google search.
My ‘speculation’ was quoting Dolby, if there is a more definitive source on how it SHOULD work then maybe you can provide it. I haven’t turned my height speakers off in some time, but my first 4K / immersive discs were the Harry Potter series, without Heights they played DTS HDMA 7.1, it was the best this series had ever sounded until I got my first heights mounted and they played in DTS:X. However neither of our examples answer the question.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Blu-ray spec demands a companion AC3 5.1 track with any TrueHD track so that it can be played back on devices that doesn't support TrueHD. It is not embedded like DTS core inside DTS-HD MA tracks. Atmos on the discs are inside the TrueHD track but does not exist in AC3 track (it can't) because AC3 track is not DD+, just plain old DD.

The Atmos meta data are embedded into TrueHD or DD+. For devices that does not support Atmos, they just ignore the meta data part and play the base 5.1 or 7.1 track depending on the mix. In my own experiences, most discs with Atmos almost always come with TrueHD 7.1 mix.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Hey @doubleroll, did you download via iphone? I do not have an iPhone, but have an apple 4K tv. I believe I can down load from apple 4K TV, correct?
I actually purchased both apps 4K & 1080P via my iPad but You can purchase/download via ATV. Also, in my case apple store will inform you that the app will be available on your ATV and will not actually download to your iPad or iPhone. So you should be good to go...I have used the app already and found it quite useful.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Blu-ray spec demands a companion AC3 5.1 track with any TrueHD track so that it can be played back on devices that doesn't support TrueHD. It is not embedded like DTS core inside DTS-HD MA tracks. Atmos on the discs are inside the TrueHD track but does not exist in AC3 track (it can't) because AC3 track is not DD+, just plain old DD.

The Atmos meta data are embedded into TrueHD or DD+. For devices that does not support Atmos, they just ignore the meta data part and play the base 5.1 or 7.1 track depending on the mix. In my own experiences, most discs with Atmos almost always come with TrueHD 7.1 mix.
Sure I can confirm from physical media, but I see the issue with iTunes movies, one that does not have the specific dd+ 7.1 option, does not play in 7.1 on ATVHD from the Atmos track only, and instead 5.1 is shown. I am wondering if a ATV4K, which can process the Atmos track, would do a downsize to 7.1?

Thanks for all your feedbacks so far.
Guido.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
ATV4K can't process Atmos. It simply repack it into Dolby MAT 2.0 and passed out to an AVR or soundbar to process it.

The thing with streaming media is that the server can detect your playback device's capability and selectively send over the track you can play instead of sending something that requires device to process. That's a logic between server and the app.

·
Registered
15 Posts
ATV4K can't process Atmos. It simply repack it into Dolby MAT 2.0 and passed out to an AVR or soundbar to process it.

The thing with streaming media is that the server can detect your playback device's capability and selectively send over the track you can play instead of sending something that requires device to process. That's a logic between server and the app.
So what you are saying it’s a no? And iTunes movie store needs a seperate soundtrack DD+7.1.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
So what you are saying it’s a no? And iTunes movie store needs a seperate soundtrack DD+7.1.
In theory, it can send over DD+ 7.1 w/ Atmos track but since it detects you can't playback Atmos, it will send you a lower bitrate track instead to save bandwidth usage (Bandwidth usage = $$). For example, Netflix, Prime Video etc. send with DD+ 5.1 or 2.0 track. If you have device only capable of DD 5.1 but no DD+, you will only get 2.0 track. Some devices like ATV4K or Shield can convert DD+ into DD and that can force these stream service always send over 5.1 track, not 2.0 track. I assume it is possible for ATK 4K to accept DD+ 7.1 w/Atmos and output as is but it seems the iTunes app is preventing it. Not something you can do.

·
Premium Member
3,894 Posts
In theory, it can send over DD+ 7.1 w/ Atmos track but since it detects you can't playback Atmos, it will send you a lower bitrate track instead to save bandwidth usage (Bandwidth usage = $$). For example, Netflix, Prime Video etc. send with DD+ 5.1 or 2.0 track. If you have device only capable of DD 5.1 but no DD+, you will only get 2.0 track. Some devices like ATV4K or Shield can convert DD+ into DD and that can force these stream service always send over 5.1 track, not 2.0 track. I assume it is possible for ATK 4K to accept DD+ 7.1 w/Atmos and output as is but it seems the iTunes app is preventing it. Not something you can do.
With Netflix from ATV4K with Atmos turned ON my receiver reports getting Atmos. If I turn OFF Atmos in ATV4k audio/video settings but leave audio at Auto, my AVR reports receiving 7.1 PCM. This is from the new Hollywood series.

I don't know why the ATV4K would not do the same with an AVR that does not support Atmos but does support 7.1; send 7.1.

Reactions: Jongbeis
30061 - 30080 of 31150 Posts