AVS Forum banner

30081 - 30100 of 31150 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #30,081
So what you are saying it’s a no? And iTunes movie store needs a seperate soundtrack DD+7.1.
I'll admit to being confused by you question however I believe all the required information is found in Apple's HLS documentation. The core document is linked in the first post but others are required reading.

Of course any provider can choose to send content of lesser quality than is supported by the system.

·
Registered
72 Posts
What are the odds they announce a new device next week and completely crap the bed with something that addresses zero of the issues home theater enthusiasts have with the current model?

My brother-in-law has asked me to yay or nay an Apple TV as his new media player, and I'm out of the loop - what's the biggest issues with the current model?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I was just in an Apple Store enquiring about the ATV 4K and asked about streaming my own media (mp4) from my NAS and was told that I would be best off using Airplay from my Mac or iPhone (I own neither of those devices) and when I told the assistant that, I was told that Apple devices are designed to work in the Apple ecosystem.

Whilst the latter statement about the ecosystem may be nice marketing BS, I assume that streaming media from a NAS works perfectly well using an app and what I was told was nonsense?

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
My brother-in-law has asked me to yay or nay an Apple TV as his new media player, and I'm out of the loop - what's the biggest issues with the current model?

Does your BIL require lossless Atmos audio from local RIPS or backups? If not he’ll be happy with the ATV4K but he should wait to see if a new ones coming out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,493 Posts

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
IMHO just the lack of ability to download for offline/spotty connection viewing!

An info display would be very useful so you could see signal details, like you can with any disk player

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
IMHO just the lack of ability to download for offline/spotty connection viewing!

An info display would be very useful so you could see signal details, like you can with any disk player

You can download iTunes movies (HD) to your computer and watch them through the Computers app. Also, if you have a Mac you can install Xcode which can provide network, streaming and media details on the ATV4K display.

Reactions: MOberhardt

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
You can download iTunes movies (HD) to your computer and watch them through the Computers app. Also, if you have a Mac you can install Xcode which can provide network, streaming and media details on the ATV4K display.

Yes, that is good the home sharing. I find it easiest to watch 2k stuff like that, especially TV shows in my library. Doesn't work with 4k unfortunately. Honestly for me 4k download to an apple TV would be brilliant, and I would tend to buy more - and not wait more for specials and just get the occasional one.

Yeah I wish I could get that xcode loaded. I don't have a mac though. I wonder if anyone at work has an old one

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I was just in an Apple Store enquiring about the ATV 4K and asked about streaming my own media (mp4) from my NAS and was told that I would be best off using Airplay from my Mac or iPhone (I own neither of those devices) and when I told the assistant that, I was told that Apple devices are designed to work in the Apple ecosystem.

Whilst the latter statement about the ecosystem may be nice marketing BS, I assume that streaming media from a NAS works perfectly well using an app and what I was told was nonsense?
I don't know the details of how to do it from a NAS, but I know Plex is supposed to work as I've seen people here talk about it. Since I didn't have a Plex server set up, I went the simpler route of just putting movies in a shared folder on my PC and using the Infuse app to play them. No transcoding needed. Only thing you can't do with streaming your local media (Plex, Infuse, or otherwise) is play Atmos tracks. It's an ATV software limitation.

·
Registered
93 Posts

There are plenty of choices for media servers out there. Plex is popular and the enhanced player on the AppleTV app works well. MKV can support HD codecs, just no Atmos. Emby is talked about, more of a go to player with Atmos support.

Plex is relatively easy to setup and use. It’s mature, active development, built in to some NAS systems or use hardware with a decent GPU if transcoding (Linux, Windows, Mac). It scales well and maintenance is relatively automated. A lightweight NAS works well as a Plex Media Server (PMS), if you’re content doesn’t need a lot of transcoding...Direct Play is best if you transcode content to a compatible format, (play natively, transport only, no transcoding).

Most smart TV’s have Plex clients or elect to use Apple TV, Roku, Xbox, Shield, Windows, Mac or other streamers. A Plex lifetime subscription allows you to have enhanced features and unlimited clients at a reasonable one time price, or pay per client or a monthly/yearly subscription.

Plex.TV has active forums to get an idea towards PMS hardware and streamer compatibility.

I use:
PMS; Windows 10 (1903), Skull Canyon NUC w/ Intel Gen7 i7 and embedded Intel Graphic (Intel Iris), direct attached 4TB RAID1 storage, multiple AppleTV’s and Smart TV’s as clients.
Content; 800+ MP4 HEVC assets (typically DD+ or AAC multi channel), some MKV HEVC with TrueHD/DTSHD.
It’s worked well for me for the past 5 years.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
There are plenty of choices for media servers out there. Plex is popular and the enhanced player on the AppleTV app works well. MKV can support HD codecs, just no Atmos. Emby is talked about, more of a go to player with Atmos support.

Plex is relatively easy to setup and use. It’s mature, active development, built in to some NAS systems or use hardware with a decent GPU if transcoding (Linux, Windows, Mac). It scales well and maintenance is relatively automated. A lightweight NAS works well as a Plex Media Server (PMS), if you’re content doesn’t need a lot of transcoding...Direct Play is best if you transcode content to a compatible format, (play natively, transport only, no transcoding).

Most smart TV’s have Plex clients or elect to use Apple TV, Roku, Xbox, Shield, Windows, Mac or other streamers. A Plex lifetime subscription allows you to have enhanced features and unlimited clients at a reasonable one time price, or pay per client or a monthly/yearly subscription.

Plex.TV has active forums to get an idea towards PMS hardware and streamer compatibility.

I use:
PMS; Windows 10 (1903), Skull Canyon NUC w/ Intel Gen7 i7 and embedded Intel Graphic (Intel Iris), direct attached 4TB RAID1 storage, multiple AppleTV’s and Smart TV’s as clients.
Content; 800+ MP4 HEVC assets (typically DD+ or AAC multi channel), some MKV HEVC with TrueHD/DTSHD.
It’s worked well for me for the past 5 years.

Just a quick correction - mkv CAN do Atmos - it’s the AppleTV that can’t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
319 Posts
Thank you for the recent replies.

I use Plex at the moment. The server runs on a Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 4+ (upgraded to OS6) and I use the LG client on my TV. The user experience is crap though. Very slow and temperamental connectivity. I suspect the NAS is the issue which is why I would like to move away from Plex to a player that can index my library and just stream it direct from the share on the NAS.

I direct play everything too so it isn't transcoding that is the issue.

Also my LG TV is a 2014 model and at some point it will no doubt be deprecated and the smart aspect will become dumb so I need a device that will run Netflix, Disney+, WWE Network, etc as well as stream my own media.

The Atmos limitation is not a problem as all my software is DVD or 1080p BD, no 4K.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts

I use Plex at the moment. The server runs on a Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 4+ (upgraded to OS6) and I use the LG client on my TV. The user experience is crap though. Very slow and tempermental connectivity. I suspect the NAS is the issue which is why I would like to move away from Plex to a player that can index my library and just stream it direct from the share on the NAS.

Also my LG TV is a 2014 model and at some point it will no doubt be deprecated and the smart aspect will become dumb so I need a device that will run Netflix, Disney+, WWE Network, etc as well as stream my own media.

The Atmos limitation is not a problem as all my software is DVD or 1080p BD, no 4K.

Unfortunately, there is still no one box solution yet...for people who stream ripped content and who like Apple Music and/or the Apple eco system as a whole. For me I prefer ATV4K’s interface and I believe it has a slightly better picture over the Shield. I also prefer Apple Music over other services and feel it sounds better also. So for me, I use Apple for everything except for my 4K and 1080p rips that have Atmos audio tracks. Also, work is being done to allow MKV rips to output Dolby Vision, so that may soon be a deciding factor too. Looking forward to seeing what Apple has to offer in the new ATV next week but, I’m not holding my breath that they’ll bring anything exciting to the table for true HT enthusiasts.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Unfortunately, there is still no one box solution yet...for people who stream ripped content and who like Apple Music and/or the Apple eco system as a whole. For me I prefer ATV4K’s interface and I believe it has a slightly better picture over the Shield. I also prefer Apple Music over other services and feel it sounds better also. So for me, I use Apple for everything except for my 4K and 1080p rips that have Atmos audio tracks. Also, work is being done to allow MKV rips to output Dolby Vision, so that may soon be a deciding factor too. Looking forward to seeing what Apple has to offer in the new ATV next week but, I’m not holding my breath that they’ll bring anything exciting to the table for true HT enthusiasts.

Thank you.

Music is sorted for me via a Squeezebox Touch so my aim is to solve the local media and commercial streaming issue.

It rather amazes me that there aren't other one box solutions aside from the Shield which is currently almost impossible to buy.

·
Registered
826 Posts
It rather amazes me that there aren't other one box solutions aside from the Shield which is currently almost impossible to buy.
That's because like it or not, people who need those capabilities are a niche market, Apple's target customer does not have a stash of local media, they will be out there streaming up a storm from the cloud. While I adore my local media storage, I know with the way the market is going I'm a dinosaur.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts

I use Plex at the moment. The server runs on a Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 4+ (upgraded to OS6) and I use the LG client on my TV. The user experience is crap though. Very slow and temperamental connectivity. I suspect the NAS is the issue which is why I would like to move away from Plex to a player that can index my library and just stream it direct from the share on the NAS.

Have you tried Infuse? I still use Plex on some occasions, but find it difficult to go back to after using Infuse.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Does CBS All Access do DD 5.1? I'm trying to watch Seal Team and it's 2.0.

Accessing through the TV app.

·
Registered
564 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Have you tried Infuse? I still use Plex on some occasions, but find it difficult to go back to after using Infuse.
Infuse is Apple only is it not?

If I go down the ATV route, it sounds like this is the app to use though....

30081 - 30100 of 31150 Posts