AVS Forum banner

30121 - 30140 of 30781 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
No I was correcting a point made that MKV won’t do Atmos - it does. AppleTV doesn’t support MKV/Atmos playback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was actually referring to the lack of Plex Atmos support not the MKV container.

A late night post that’s beyond 3 lines might not be too clear and a proof missed ;)

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
I was actually referring to the lack of Plex Atmos support not the MKV container.

A late night post that’s beyond 3 lines might not be too clear and a proof missed ;)

What are you referring to? I’m not aware of any issues with Plex and Atmos. I don’t follow the Plex forums though and I’ve not had an Atmos system very long.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Reactions: RobKnapp

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
What are you referring to? I’m not aware of any issues with Plex and Atmos. I don’t follow the Plex forums though and I’ve not had an Atmos system very long.
The problem is that the ATV 4k does not support Dolby Atmos via a TrueHD stream. It only supports Atmos via an E-AC3 stream, which is how Apple, Netflix, Prime, VUDU, etc. stream Atmos to streaming devices.

·
Registered
442 Posts
SALT. REMOTE - Does it work 'OUT OF THE BOX' in the US

I tried 'search' but I didn't actually see a 'factual' response. I DO NOT SPEAK so losing SIRI is of 'NO CONCERN' - could actually be a blessing not being constantly reminded to activate or use SIRI. All VOX is a 'damn nuisance' ALL!!!

I've an acquaintance who can likely supply me with the product. I've used Roku for years but thought I'd like to try the Apple devices. I've a ATV4 in use now and the remote is maybe the only 'nuisance'.

I see comments frequently regarding a SALT. download/activation or something to that effect.

I'm not looking for a universal reference BUT if someone is using an inexpensive product that does well I could be interested.

Only interested in ATV control.......

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
The problem is that the ATV 4k does not support Dolby Atmos via a TrueHD stream. It only supports Atmos via an E-AC3 stream, which is how Apple, Netflix, Prime, VUDU, etc. stream Atmos to streaming devices.
Okay, I see where you're coming from now. That's not really a Plex issue but, it would be nice if Plex could figure how how to transcode Atmos to MAT 2.0 so we could at least get lossy Atmos. I don't know if that even possible or they are working on it.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
I tried 'search' but I didn't actually see a 'factual' response. I DO NOT SPEAK so losing SIRI is of 'NO CONCERN' - could actually be a blessing not being constantly reminded to activate or use SIRI. All VOX is a 'damn nuisance' ALL!!!

I've an acquaintance who can likely supply me with the product. I've used Roku for years but thought I'd like to try the Apple devices. I've a ATV4 in use now and the remote is maybe the only 'nuisance'.

I see comments frequently regarding a SALT. download/activation or something to that effect.

I'm not looking for a universal reference BUT if someone is using an inexpensive product that does well I could be interested.

Only interested in ATV control.......
Basically any IR remote on the planet can control the ATV. It can learn any remotes controls. For example, I have an old VIZIO TV remote that has buttons for things like play and fast forward and up/down/left/right buttons etc, and the ATV was happy to learn those buttons.

You don't need to spend much money (or maybe none if you have an old unused remote lying around) to replace the Apple remote with something much more normal.

(There are special features that only work with the ATV remote but I never used those features anyway.)

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Are you saying iOS will be renamed iPhoneOS? (hope not, but I guess we’d find out this week). As for what you missed, if you want to go back to the Apple // there was ProDOS, rumor has it the Infuse won’t yet run on it. :)
Yes. Not sure where I saw it, thought "appleinsider" but it's not there. Maybe Twitter...this is just today:

https://www.news18.com/news/tech/apple-wwdc-2020-ios-to-iphone-os-intel-makes-way-for-arm-macs-all-this-may-be-on-the-menu-2680863.html

It seems today is the announcement day, in fact in an hour.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Basically any IR remote on the planet can control the ATV. It can learn any remotes controls. For example, I have an old VIZIO TV remote that has buttons for things like play and fast forward and up/down/left/right buttons etc, and the ATV was happy to learn those buttons.

You don't need to spend much money (or maybe none if you have an old unused remote lying around) to replace the Apple remote with something much more normal.

(There are special features that only work with the ATV remote but I never used those features anyway.)
I appreciate the info and I had seen previously where a TiVo remote had also been used BUT if the SALT. works 'out of the box' it looks like none of my other remotes so that eliminate some of the confusion when reaching!!!

·
Registered
550 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
No I was correcting a point made that MKV won’t do Atmos - it does. AppleTV doesn’t support MKV/Atmos playback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Infuse supports lossy DD5,1+ Atmos within an MKV.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
I appreciate the info and I had seen previously where a TiVo remote had also been used BUT if the SALT. works 'out of the box' it looks like none of my other remotes so that eliminate some of the confusion when reaching!!!
Fair enough. I'm just pointing out that basically ANY remote works "out of the box" if you spend five minutes setting it up, so you can buy or re-purpose any remote you like the look of.

Of course the the SALT remote is only $20 so it's about as cheap as buying any other cheap remote to use, and you get to save 3 minutes in the setup process versus any other remote.

But since you don't have an ATV yet, why not try the Apple remote. While some people don't like it, many people do, and it has other functions beyond just Siri, enabled via the track pad, for example, that you might like. I mean, some people REALLY like the ATV remote, so I wouldn't assume you would even want to replace it. And it doesn't look like any other remote, so it's not likely to cause confusion.

·
Registered
307 Posts
But since you don't have an ATV yet, why not try the Apple remote. While some people don't like it, many people do, and it has other functions beyond just Siri, enabled via the track pad, for example, that you might like. I mean, some people REALLY like the ATV remote, so I wouldn't assume you would even want to replace it. And it doesn't look like any other remote, so it's not likely to cause confusion.
This! But as another pointed out, I do prefer the built into the IPad remote, as it is fairly the same, but bigger. Plus, it launches the keyboard when necessary. :D I am sure the IPhone is a better choice as well, but I do not have experience with that one.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
30121 - 30140 of 30781 Posts