AVS Forum banner

30141 - 30160 of 30783 Posts

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
On the current Gen Apple TV? I thought 4K YouTube was a hardware limitation, how were they able to add support for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, it was a software limitation, and apple don't provide the software. Google do/did. Sure there was a HW native codec limitation, but nothing that couldn't be handled in software transcoding.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Does your BIL require lossless Atmos audio from local RIPS or backups? If not he’ll be happy with the ATV4K but he should wait to see if a new ones coming out.
Great product but wait a week, a newer version "may" be announced by Apple next week, June 22. https://www.cnet.com/how-to/apple-wwdc-2020-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-online-developers-conference/
IMHO just the lack of ability to download for offline/spotty connection viewing!

An info display would be very useful so you could see signal details, like you can with any disk player
Thanks for the replys, however he now wants support for Interactive Content content on Netflix, which Apple TV does not support (anyone know why it's not supported?).

Will wait to see if there are any more updates around TVOS 14 to see if that's fixed.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Thanks for the replys, however he now wants support for Interactive Content content on Netflix, which Apple TV does not support (anyone know why it's not supported?).

Will wait to see if there are any more updates around TVOS 14 to see if that's fixed.
Does Apple provide / write the Netflix App on the AppleTV? No.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Tried a couple MKVs (4K & 1080p) with Atmos and my AVR is not reporting DD+/Atmos. Btw, I am using the Pro version.

That’s probably because those files have full Dolby Atmos. Check their website for more information: https://support.firecore.com/hc/en-us/articles/217735707-Audio-Options-tvOS-

What about Dolby Atmos and DTS-X?

Infuse (6.3 and later) supports Dolby Atmos when using E-AC3 audio tracks.

We're also working to encourage Apple to add more flexible audio options which would provide support for DTS-X and additional types of Atmos, including TrueHD.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Infuse supports lossy DD5,1+ Atmos within an MKV.
I didn’t realize this. Thanks!
Tried a couple MKVs (4K & 1080p) with Atmos and my AVR is not reporting DD+/Atmos. Btw, I am using the Pro version.
Neither Infuse nor the ATV4K supports Atmos derived from a TrueHD audio track (which is what you will get in a MKV ripped from a Blu-ray Disc). Both will support E-AC3 based Atmos (Dolby Digital Plus) which is what you get with content streaming, but not from disc based original content.

·
Registered
20,239 Posts

Are they DD+/EAC3 Atmos versions or TrueHD versions? The latter will not play back Atmos and are what are usually going on Blu-Ray and UHDBR rips.

·
Premium Member
10,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #30,148
Iphone at WWDC ?
Hardware that's of particular interest to developers because it's tied to software is sometimes mentioned like the Apple silicon macs since that's sort of the point of macOS 11. The first iPhone was introduced at MacWorld. The next three at WWDC for various reasons like say the unveiling of the App Store. I don't believe any AppleTV was introduced at a developer conference.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I tried 'search' but I didn't actually see a 'factual' response. I DO NOT SPEAK so losing SIRI is of 'NO CONCERN' - could actually be a blessing not being constantly reminded to activate or use SIRI. All VOX is a 'damn nuisance' ALL!!!

I've an acquaintance who can likely supply me with the product. I've used Roku for years but thought I'd like to try the Apple devices. I've a ATV4 in use now and the remote is maybe the only 'nuisance'.

I see comments frequently regarding a SALT. download/activation or something to that effect.

I'm not looking for a universal reference BUT if someone is using an inexpensive product that does well I could be interested.

Only interested in ATV control.......
I bought two of these to use with my two ATV4s and have been very satisfied

https://www.oneforall.us/universal-remotes/urc-7935-streamer-remote

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
finally YouTube in 4K...took them long enough...

I’m not so sure it’s playing YT in 4K on iOS 14b yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
Does Apple provide / write the Netflix App on the AppleTV? No.
From what I have read it appears to me that Netflix interactive content requires support for seamless branching but Apple AVFoundation and UIKit do not support seamless branching.

·
Premium Member
10,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #30,153
finally YouTube in 4K...took them long enough...
Took who long enough?

I’m not so sure it’s playing YT in 4K on iOS 14b yet.
It's not yet but more interesting is 4K on my iPad is using AVC1 (h.264) and although it's not anything I pay attention to I'm fairly sure 4K used to be VP9.

·
Premium Member
10,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #30,155
Apple did not want to support the VP9 codec
As far as we know Apple still doesn't provide hardware support for VP9 (or AV1). It's been mentioned multiple times that not providing hardware support for VP9 doesn't mean software decoding can't be offered by third parties. Notably VP9 was supported by YouTube on some iOS devices -- but that no longer appears to be the case. My understanding is Infuse supports both VP9 and AV1, with limitations, on the ATV4K.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
As far as we know Apple still doesn't provide hardware support for VP9 (or AV1). It's been mentioned multiple times that not providing hardware support for VP9 doesn't mean software decoding can't be offered by third parties. Notably VP9 was supported by YouTube on some iOS devices -- but that no longer appears to be the case. My understanding is Infuse supports both VP9 and AV1, with limitations, on the ATV4K.
Exactly, hence it being an issue with the software provider, ie, Google, providing a substandard youtube / Google Play Movies software on the Apple TV. Sure if someone could say that Google had an updated app years ago, or gave them initially an app that did the transcoding but Apple withheld it, then you could say it was Apples fault.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Good lord. Does it matter? #1 there is hardly any actually 4K HDR content on YouTube anyway #2 they are moving away from VP9.
Hardly any? You do realize that youtube is now how you are supposed to access any Google Play movies you purchase? At the moment all the titles in there in 4k get 1080p stero on an Apple TV. Sure GPM is a poor cousin, with no atmos on any device, but there is plenty of content.

·
Registered
12,321 Posts
Good lord. Does it matter? #1 there is hardly any actually 4K HDR content on YouTube anyway #2 they are moving away from VP9.
It is not just 4K HDR, but regular 4K as well. VP 9 for 4K, VP9.2 for 4K HDR. ATV supports none of that. Besides, there is no indication that Google is moving away from VP9 anytime soon.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

30141 - 30160 of 30783 Posts