AVS Forum banner

30201 - 30220 of 30785 Posts

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
This the exact opposite opinion to mine. I have both an Apple TV 4k and a Firestick 4K. To me, the Apple TV 4K is far superior to the Firestick. In fact, I wouldn't even use the Firestick if Hulu would get their act together with surround sound on the Apple TV.
I use the Firestick 4k more now that it has the TV app because it seems to keep track of my episodes better than the Apple TV device does. Who knew? :confused:

·
Registered
271 Posts
I am getting rid of Apple TV box. It sucks compared to the firestick. And I was a lover of Apple 4K box. It doesn’t even compare.

Don't know if it's the same on the Firestick 4K, but I have a Fire TV Cube Gen. 2, and there is a bug that if you connect it to a Dolby Vision capable TV, and turn on the setting to enable dynamic range switching, rather that force Dolby Vision at all times, then HDR10 content is output at 8-bit, instead of 10-bit, and yes, that's even if you set the max bit depth to 12-bit in the Fire TV settings. That alone is enough to make it not be my main device.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
All streaming boxes are good at somethings and not at others. Really just depends on your setup and needs. My ATV4k and my FireCube 2 do everything that I need. If Apple/Netflix ever resolve the Atmos issue I could get rid of my FireCube. Right now there just does not seem to be a "Perfect" streamer especially for enthusiast that are always testing the limits of our equipment for both audio and video. We are a finicky bunch:D

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Fire TV 4K Stick seems ok for Amazon Prime and apps but lacks framerate switching outside of Amazon. Often seems slow and under powered too. I dislike how the screensaver timeout kicks me out of content too. I can only adjust this with an adb workaround that doesn't stick through updates. The bugs that existed from the start are still there.

ATV4K is a better out of the box solution. Isn't perfect but no streamer and user app set is. My Roku Ultra is standby for where the ATV4K is lacking for me. My fire TV AC source is on a smart home power strip; I can power on and use at will without getting up but rarely ever bother. It's annoying that it takes so long to download an update and then tells me it will update when the device isn't in use. Why bother?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
There is speculation that Apple will kill the Apple TV now that they have the app working across platforms..

What do you guys think about that?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
There is speculation that Apple will kill the Apple TV now that they have the app working across platforms..

I really hope not. It's not just about the Apple TV app for me. It's all the other apps that run on the box as well. Yeah sometimes they get an update and it breaks them for a bit or whatever. At least they get updates. Good luck getting app updates on your TV 6-7 years later. At least if a streaming box gets outdated after a few years you can typically buy the newest model for relatively cheap vs a new TV.

·
Registered
20,244 Posts

It’s speculation that doesn’t make sense. They use the AppleTV as a gateway into their Video services. It’s a device that doesn’t need to be updated yearly to sell.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

I've heard that rumor and I might be willing to believe it but there is also a rumor that there is a new Apple TV ready to be released. I think they want the Apple TV to push Apple Arcade.

·
Registered
12,324 Posts
Without Apple TV, how you would expect their HomeKit home control to ever work? Using an iPad is not a reliable way to go (need to charge the battery).

·
Registered
40 Posts
I hope all you guys are right.. I would hate for them to discontinue making the hardware.. it’s the best streamer as far as I am concerned..

·
Registered
12,324 Posts
Apple TV device serves three distinctive purposes for Apple eco system:
1. Support casting from iPhone, iPads to the TV. Without it, these mobile devices can only cast through very few devices that support AirPlay, e.g. Vizio TVs.
2. Act as an internet access bridge to all HomeKit control devices. Without it, you can't access any of your HomeKit devices when you leave home.
3. Media streaming. This is the most insignificant part of Apple TV because you can get the most of the same features from many different devices and smart TVs.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Apple TV device serves three distinctive purposes for Apple eco system:
1. Support casting from iPhone, iPads to the TV. Without it, these mobile devices can only cast through very few devices that support AirPlay, e.g. Vizio TVs.
2. Act as an internet access bridge to all HomeKit control devices. Without it, you can't access any of your HomeKit devices when you leave home.
3. Media streaming. This is the most insignificant part of Apple TV because you can get the most of the same features from many different devices and smart TVs.
Plenty of apps out there that allow casting/screen mirroring of iPhones and iPads to FireTV devices and Nvidia Shields. It’s not something you need a ATV to do, as much as Apple would like you to believe. I have two ATV 4ks but not because of that...

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I really hope not. It's not just about the Apple TV app for me. It's all the other apps that run on the box as well. Yeah sometimes they get an update and it breaks them for a bit or whatever. At least they get updates. Good luck getting app updates on your TV 6-7 years later. At least if a streaming box gets outdated after a few years you can typically buy the newest model for relatively cheap vs a new TV.
The ATV 4k is a great box, I have two of them. But I bought them and use them for a couple of specific purposes. I find them too restrictive as to the apps you can run. For apps I prefer Android based streamers, I use Nvidia Shields and FireTV devices of various types. Apple only allows you to run the apps Apple approves, unless you go to the trouble of rooting their devices and I don’t use MACs which you need to do all that and even then not many of the apps I want to run are even available for TVOS. You don’t have to mess with any of that with Android. It’s just a much bigger universe of apps that you can easily run without having to root the devices.

·
Premium Member
10,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #30,216
Without Apple TV, how you would expect their HomeKit home control to ever work?
If you don't have a reliably charged (mine are) home iPad then with a HomePod. Of course the idea that Apple would stop making the AppleTV is a bit daft.

·
Registered
40 Posts
@bodosom, the following article is where I got this from... it’s just an opinion..
https://www.pcmag.com/opinions/apple-tv-is-the-death-of-apple-tv

I think the writer made a few good points to defend his views. Apple has abandoned products in the past (airport routers are not being manufactured anymore) and they have shifted strategies.. so it’s not beyond the realm of possibilities. In a few months we will find out how serious they are about AppleTV or which direction they want to head into with it..
Personally speaking, I would want nothing more than for them to continue improving it. Already said it’s my media streamer of choice..

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
The ATV 4k is a great box, I have two of them. But I bought them and use them for a couple of specific purposes. I find them too restrictive as to the apps you can run. For apps I prefer Android based streamers, I use Nvidia Shields and FireTV devices of various types. Apple only allows you to run the apps Apple approves, unless you go to the trouble of rooting their devices and I don’t use MACs which you need to do all that and even then not many of the apps I want to run are even available for TVOS. You don’t have to mess with any of that with Android. It’s just a much bigger universe of apps that you can easily run without having to root the devices.

Yeah I'm just looking to run standard apps that are on the app store. Mostly streaming stuff. I used to use a 1st Gen Chromecast but then switched to iPhone iPad and since my wife had already been using that stuff it made sense to go ATV instead of a 4k Chromecast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

30201 - 30220 of 30785 Posts