AVS Forum banner

30781 - 30800 of 31150 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #30,782
I found...
This list of functions isn't specific to any after-market remote. All IR remotes behave the same way because of the interface limitations. ANY IR remote with transport controls can manage FF, REW and skipping when you use the learning function. Some remotes e.g. Salt come preprogrammed for the ATV4K. So does the "Inteset 4-in-1 Universal Backlit IR Learning Remote for use with Apple TV". Pre-programmed saves the two minutes it takes to teach an ATV4K a new remote.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Thanks a lot. I got a headache trying to read that!
It's literally the first spoiler in the OP. And much of this is mentioned in the notes below the spoiler.

In short, some like Apple's intent of converting SDR to HDR, some don't. Make up your own mind. And the reason SDR as default with match settings enabled is preferred is because some developers of SDR apps don't integrate the match API in their app.

With your settings, apps like Netflix and Amazon prime Prime should work as expected. At least that should be the case with Amazon prime Prime when it isn't broken; things don't always work as expected with that app. ESPN may be an exception for those that don't like simulated HDR; I'm not sure because I don't test apps with HDR as default.

If you use SDR as default with match settings enabled, HDR will still switch dynamic range properly for HDR content for compatible apps (Apple match API integrated- hint: HDR apps typically use this API). But if you have no issue with simulated HDR where original content is SDR for these apps that don't have the Apple matching API, then just go with your settings. Just know that many SDR apps may have color that looks off, not natural. To me, they look oversaturated and cartoonish, particular the home screen.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Looking for some help on this one with the following setup for my parents -
I have HDMI for the appletv going into the sony receiver(Str-dh550) br input. When I turn the volume on the receiver or remote the video goes out. Sound is usually still there for a bit and sometimes the video will eventually return after you stop changing the volume. This doesn't happen on the Tivo that is going into the hdmi sat/catv hdmi input. I also tried the game input and same thing. Is this a setting on the appletv or receiver that is causing this?

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
I have HDMI for the appletv going into the sony receiver(Str-dh550) br input. When I turn the volume on the receiver or remote the video goes out. Sound is usually still there for a bit and sometimes the video will eventually return after you stop changing the volume. This doesn't happen on the Tivo that is going into the hdmi sat/catv hdmi input. I also tried the game input and same thing. Is this a setting on the appletv or receiver that is causing this?
That's a decent receiver but it is one of the early/less capable models when it comes to 4k.

Do they have a 4k tv?

I would set up the ATV4k as 4kSDR if they have a 4k TV.

See if that works.

Then up it to "match dynamic range" and see if it still works.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
That's a decent receiver but it is one of the early/less capable models when it comes to 4k.

Do they have a 4k tv?

I would set up the ATV4k as 4kSDR if they have a 4k TV.

See if that works.

Then up it to "match dynamic range" and see if it still works.
Yes it is a Samsung 65" Q70

I will try the above and that makes sense why it might go out of sync.

·
Registered
432 Posts
My bet would be that this older receiver cannot overlay its own OSD (for the volume level) over top of a 4K signal. Set the ATV to output 1080p/60 and see if that fixes the momentary blackout. This is likely why there's no problem with the TiVo.

The receiver is an older model that can pass a 4K signal, but is limited to 4:2:0/8bit. No HDR of any type.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
My bet would be that this older receiver cannot overlay its own OSD (for the volume level) over top of a 4K signal. Set the ATV to output 1080p/60 and see if that fixes the momentary blackout. This is likely why there's no problem with the TiVo.

The receiver is an older model that can pass a 4K signal, but is limited to 4:2:0/8bit. No HDR of any type.
Yep that might be it. I set the appletv to 1080p/sdr and it works fine. So with this setup what will happen if you play something on netflix/amazon that is labeled as a 4k sdr/uhd video?

·
Registered
20,356 Posts
Yep that might be it. I set the appletv to 1080p/sdr and it works fine. So with this setup what will happen if you play something on netflix/amazon that is labeled as a 4k sdr/uhd video?
If you set the AppleTV to 1080p then everything will be limited to that. You have to choose what’s more important m, the OSS or watching UHD content ;)

·
Registered
432 Posts
You'll get the HD (1080p) assets only. No 4K. You have the following options...

- Set the ATV to output 4K/60 SDR and leave well enough alone. Just expect the screen to black out if you adjust the volume. Make sure to set "Chroma" to 4:2:0, Turn on "Match Frame Rate", but leave "Match Range" turned off.

- Set the ATV to output 1080p/60 and let the display do the scaling. Same "Match" settings as above. They may be okay with not getting the full 4K asset.

- Upgrade the receiver... 😁

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
You'll get the HD (1080p) assets only. No 4K. You have the following options...

- Set the ATV to output 4K/60 SDR and leave well enough alone. Just expect the screen to black out if you adjust the volume. Make sure to set "Chroma" to 4:2:0, Turn on "Match Frame Rate", but leave "Match Range" turned off.

- Set the ATV to output 1080p/60 and let the display do the scaling. Same "Match" settings as above. They may be okay with not getting the full 4K asset.

- Upgrade the receiver... 😁
Thanks for the input! I'll probably leave it at 1080p for them as the other way seems way to glitchy. I'll play around with it a bit more just to see.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I’m a little confused by this conversation. What’s the prefer video setting on a 4K ATV for a 1080p display? I have mine set for 1080p. I have a Denon 4500 receiver hooked up to my 4K ATV with the video routed back to my Panasonic ZT eARC HDMI.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
I’m a little confused by this conversation. What’s the prefer video setting on a 4K ATV for a 1080p display? I have mine set for 1080p. I have a Denon 4500 receiver hooked up to my 4K ATV with the video routed back to my Panasonic ZT eARC HDMI.
I'm certain that works for you but I am curious as to why you don't go from your ATV4K directly to your Denon 4500 via HDMI and then from the Denon to the Panasonic via The Denon Monitor 1 (ARC) HDMI out. You don't really need your Panny to play with your sound at all for your ATV purposes. By using the Monitor 1 Arc out on the the Denon to the Panny you would get reverse ARC from any direct Panny sound back to the Denon provided you are plugged into HDMI 2 (ARC) on the Panny.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I'm certain that works for you but I am curious as to why you don't go from your ATV4K directly to your Denon 4500 via HDMI and then from the Denon to the Panasonic via The Denon Monitor 1 (ARC) HDMI out.
That is my setup. My ZT only has three HDMI. I use #1 for Directv, #2 for the 4500 and #3 is for my Blu-ray player.

·
Registered
195 Posts

I sure hope they fix their issues with CBS and Showtime in Apple TV Channels. I'm still waiting for Black Monday to show up in HDR in Apple TV Channels. It doesn't seem to be an issue for the other providers that carry Showtime.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
That is my setup. My ZT only has three HDMI. I use #1 for Directv, #2 for the 4500 and #3 is for my Blu-ray player.
Ah, OK, I was a bit confused by the way you worded your original post. It seemed like you went from the ATV directly to the Panny and then back to the Denon. :)

30781 - 30800 of 31150 Posts