AVS Forum banner

31081 - 31100 of 31569 Posts

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
My Harmony is a RF with hub. But all devices except TV are inside an enclosed closet. TV is 15 to 20 ft away from me. The only way to control TV on off or volume is through IR from the remote itself.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
My Harmony is a RF with hub. But all devices except TV are inside an enclosed closet. TV is 15 to 20 ft away from me. The only way to control TV on off or volume is through IR from the remote itself.

Cant you route a blaster to the outside of the closet to control the TV? You just need to get the blaster in general line of sight. They do blast out the Ir pretty powerfully. I control my projector in my HT with a blaster that’s across the room from the projector. The Ir is powerful enough to even bounce off of walls and other surfaces.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
LoL, no way. The TV is above the fireplace with no line of sight possible.

Doesn't need line of sight. It bounces off surfaces. Same as if you have a projector, and use the standard infra red remote you can still point forward to use it, don't have to point it backwards over your shoulder. So if an IR blaster the harmony comes with can be placed somewhere outside of the cabinet it will probably work.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have an ATV4K and just upgraded my tv to a LG CX. Now I'm having intermittent issues with the Apple remote. I'm getting lagging problems, like I use the trackpad and there is a delay. I see it disconnects and reconnects at times. Sometimes it works just fine. I have tried to completely disconnect and reconnect the remote. It still has a problem. The only thing that changed before the issue started is the new tv. Funny, the LG remote that comes with the tv works fine with no lag.

Does anyone else have this issue? Is it interference from the tv's remote? Or something else. I like the remote and would prefer to use it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have an ATV4K and just upgraded my tv to a LG CX. Now I'm having intermittent issues with the Apple remote. I'm getting lagging problems, like I use the trackpad and there is a delay. I see it disconnects and reconnects at times. Sometimes it works just fine. I have tried to completely disconnect and reconnect the remote. It still has a problem. The only thing that changed before the issue started is the new tv. Funny, the LG remote that comes with the tv works fine with no lag.

Does anyone else have this issue? Is it interference from the tv's remote? Or something else. I like the remote and would prefer to use it.
Who does u use LG TV remote only to control ATV4K works great that use using CEC

·
Registered
1,030 Posts

If it's what I see, it's not touchpad lag but Siri remote is disconnected. It disconnects frequently to save battery. Touching the pad isn't enough to wake it.

What I do is press the menu button and look for TV screen to display remote connected. Not sure how long remote inactivity sleeps it but using 3rd party remote like Harmony has the Siri remote disconnecting frequently for me.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Doesn't need line of sight. It bounces off surfaces. Same as if you have a projector, and use the standard infra red remote you can still point forward to use it, don't have to point it backwards over your shoulder. So if an IR blaster the harmony comes with can be placed somewhere outside of the cabinet it will probably work.
Didn't ask for advices on remotes and you guys keep giving. The nearest surface to reflect IR signal is 20+ feet away. Yes, the ceiling is 23 ft high. Not to mention sticking a black wire out of a perfect white cabinet in order to control the TV is never going to pass wife. I have it under control. No more advices :)

For my original issue, I figured it out:
Before tvOS14, my harmony Apple TV power off sequence is like this:
1. Send power off command to TV
2. Send Home command to ATV for 2 seconds, wait 200ms and send Select command. This simulates press Sleep button on screen.

The order is set by Harmony software by default. It works so I didn't modify.

With tvOS14, when the TV gets power off command first, it will natually send a power off command via HDMI CEC to ATV as well. With the new tvOS update, this CEC command was interpreted by ATV as stay powered on, thus interrupts step#2 and cause both ATV and TV stay powered on.

I adjusted the power off squence so that ATV go to sleep first, TV power off second. Now it works fine.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If it's what I see, it's not touchpad lag but Siri remote is disconnected. It disconnects frequently to save battery. Touching the pad isn't enough to wake it.

What I do is press the menu button and look for TV screen to display remote connected. Not sure how long remote inactivity sleeps it but using 3rd party remote like Harmony has the Siri remote disconnecting frequently for me.

But before I got the new tv, it wouldn't give the message that the remote was disconnecting. I think like you are saying with the Harmony, it has started disconnecting frequently because of the LG remote. But your experience seems to tell me that if multiple remotes try to access the ATV then the Siri remote will disconnect more frequently.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Agreed it works great. But seems like voice works better with the Siri remote. And the trackpad is sometimes quicker than the direction pad on the LG remote.
FWIW, I don't use the Apple remote at all and don't bother with Siri (not a fan of voice activation). I use a Harmony remote or the remote app on my iPhone if it's with me.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
But before I got the new tv, it wouldn't give the message that the remote was disconnecting. I think like you are saying with the Harmony, it has started disconnecting frequently because of the LG remote. But your experience seems to tell me that if multiple remotes try to access the ATV then the Siri remote will disconnect more frequently.
I'm not suggesting your Apple TV cannot connect to multiple remotes simultaneously. There's a timeout that may be occurring; however, I don't know how long that timeout is. Have you had an opportunity to check with button press that Siri remote is sleeping and your lag is just the remote waking? I can't recall an occasion where that wasn't the case here.

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
If your TV also has a voice remote, it is quite possible that it is also a Bluetooth remote. So, both TV and ATV try to talk to their respective Bluetooth remotes via the same 2.4GHz channel and interfer each other.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm not suggesting your Apple TV cannot connect to multiple remotes simultaneously. There's a timeout that may be occurring; however, I don't know how long that timeout is. Have you had an opportunity to check with button press that Siri remote is sleeping and your lag is just the remote waking? I can't recall an occasion where that wasn't the case here.

Completely agree that there is a timeout. I do see it saying connected at times. But the thing is that it didn't do it before.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If your TV also has a voice remote, it is quite possible that it is also a Bluetooth remote. So, both TV and ATV try to talk to their respective Bluetooth remotes via the same 2.4GHz channel and interfer each other.
This is what I was wondering. The LG remote does also have voice. But I thought they wouldn't interfere especially with all the other bluetooth devices we use otherwise. But it does seem that the particular channel that the LG remote uses seems to be the same as the Apple remote. I wonder if there is a config to make it choose a different channel, like a router where you can tell it to use a different part of the spectrum.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Last night had trouble accessing purchased Apple content via our ATV4K. Could not watch one series but could another, and then it froze-up mid-program. I updated to v14 and it all started working again, including the other series that had not worked at first. I wonder if Apple servers were being hammered last night or something.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Soo...I updated last night my ATV4k to the tvOS 14.0 firmware. Of course, I've seen the previews, so had my expectations under control. But to be honest, not much of a difference, really. I wouldn't have known there was a change if the wife did the update behind my back. The UX is same, streaming quality is same (video and audio)...personally, it didn't add anything extra that I wanted (i.e. pass through audio)

Still an awesome streamer nevertheless - IMO, the best on the market (still)!

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Soo...I updated last night my ATV4k to the tvOS 14.0 firmware. Of course, I've seen the previews, so had my expectations under control. But to be honest, not much of a difference, really. I wouldn't have known there was a change if the wife did the update behind my back. The UX is same, streaming quality is same (video and audio)...personally, it didn't add anything extra that I wanted (i.e. pass through audio)

Still an awesome streamer nevertheless - IMO, the best on the market (still)!
If You go to System/What's New you"ll see the changes. I really wish people give pass through a rest once it's mention then we get page after page of complaining .

·
Registered
417 Posts
If You go to System/What's New you"ll see the changes. I really wish people give pass through a rest once it's mention then we get page after page of complaining .
10-4...already checked the 'what's new' page, and sorry to say, nothing there interests me. I (secretly) wish though that Apple would listen to real world feedback...still your point was fair, so I won't dwell.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I do like the update in tvOS 14 that highlights the current playing time on the scrubber. Also, maybe I’m just seeing things, but do the app icons seem a little rounder? Maybe I’m just desperate to see more significant changes...

31081 - 31100 of 31569 Posts