AVS Forum banner

31261 - 31280 of 31604 Posts

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
I set up Wi-Fi and that seems to be the trick. Now every time the system turns on ethernet is selected. Problem solved. I guess the ATV defaults to a Wi-Fi connection and wants that configured but then "see's" the ethernet cable is connected and then selects that.

Joe
More the opposite according to Apple Support where at the bottom of the page under the Learn more heading the first bullet reads as follows:
  • Apple TV connects to Internet with either Wi-Fi or Ethernet. When you use an Ethernet cable, Apple TV automatically uses that connection instead of your Wi-Fi network.
In other words, under Settings >> Network we have the choice of Ethernet or WiFi, not both. Mine says Ethernet because I have an ethernet cable connected to it.

In order to set it up to switch to WiFi I would have to disconnect my ethernet cable and follow these instructions if I have never set it up to use WiFi in the past or if I got a new modem / router or switched internet service providers...

How to Change WiFi Networks on Apple TV

Similar instructions from Linksys. Whatever the case, glad to see it is now working correctly.

Reactions: musicman0725

·
Registered
380 Posts
It looks like HDMI CEC still broken. I still can't control my Yamaha AVR.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I'd consider that a feature not a bug... But I use a Harmony so CEC is the devil in my setup.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
HDMI CEC seems to be working with my Yamaha TSR 7850, with one recent exception. If I Mirror or AirPlay from my iPad or iPhone, the AVR won’t auto-switch to the ATV input. I have to do it manually. However if I’m watching another input and I touch the Menu button on the ATV remote, then it will auto-switch to the ATV input, as expected. I think the mirror/airplay issue started with the new TvOS.

·
Registered
292 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
How does it sound and look, any better than AMC's cable feed?
I haven't ordered it yet. But from existing subscriptions in Apple TV Channels, its better than anything available on cable or satellite. Its also usually better than running through the network's native app. All Apple TV Channels content that I subscribe to runs from Apple's servers. I assume this to be true for AMC+ as well.

·
Premium Member
35,431 Posts
I would think that the quality would almost certainly be better than any cable channel feed. Keep in mind that if you're on Comcast your cable channels are delivered at no better than 4Mb/s with a 720p resolution anyway. An IP feed like AMC+ would very likely be 1080p(or higher) at twice that bitrate and with a more efficient compression scheme resulting in better image quality.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Incase you YouTube 4K guys missed it:

...but still no HDR.

Edit: a quote from the redit post notes “Also stats for nerds shows vp9 codec not av1.”

·
Registered
1,100 Posts

...but still no HDR.

Edit: a quote from the redit post notes “Also stats for nerds shows vp9 codec not av1.”
Yeah I just saw that over at iMore. Too bad about HDR, though I haven't been watching too much HDR YouTube stuff lately after the newness of upgrading from Plasma to OLED wore off a bit lol. Plenty of stuff I watch on YouTube is in 4K though.

·
Registered
232 Posts

...but still no HDR.

I guess to support HDR they would also have to implement support for the match range feature? Or are there other apps on ATV that can deliver HDR but don’t support match range, so you have to set your ATV to output HDR by default?

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I guess to support HDR they would also have to implement support for the match range feature? Or are there other apps on ATV that can deliver HDR but don’t support match range, so you have to set your ATV to output HDR by default?
They don’t have to support it, It is their choice. But the ATV won’t output HDR unless you explicitly set as your default HDR or use the match feature.

·
Registered
12,632 Posts
No, to support HDR, you need support VP9 Profile 2 codec. Since iPhones already have both 4K and HDR supported (VP9 and VP9.2), it is only matter of time for ATV to support it.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
No, to support HDR, you need support VP9 Profile 2 codec. Since iPhones already have both 4K and HDR supported (VP9 and VP9.2), it is only matter of time for ATV to support it.
^^ this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Still not seeing the YouTube update :( Stuck on the 9-20-20 version. Tried rebooting, closing App Store, etc.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Still not seeing the YouTube update :( Stuck on the 9-20-20 version. Tried rebooting, closing App Store, etc.
I don’t have it either. Does the update also support 5.1 sound? On my LG tv I do get surround sound from you tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

31261 - 31280 of 31604 Posts