AVS Forum banner

31441 - 31460 of 31502 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
I think I might jump ship from my AppleTv4K to the new Roku Ultra now that it supports Dolby Vision, I just prefer the simple menu system and remote of Roku. There’s no reason to assume that apps like AppleTV+ (or Netflix, Amazon, YouTube etc) play at a higher bitrate and quality on an AppleTv vs a Roku right?
Apple tv may not be as strong as the new Roku. The new unit does have a stronger chip.

The new apple tv due at the first half of next year and will have a stronger chip the A13 in theory can do 8K while the Roku will not. Added bonus the new Apple TV will also be a gaming counsel for Apple arcade. Its mainly made for Apple arcade.

Sent from my SM-F916U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,927 Posts
Deleted. No need to cross post in threads.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Apple tv may not be as strong as the new Roku. The new unit does have a stronger chip.

The new apple tv due at the first half of next year and will have a stronger chip the A13 in theory can do 8K while the Roku will not. Added bonus the new Apple TV will also be a gaming counsel for Apple arcade. Its mainly made for Apple arcade.

Sent from my SM-F916U1 using Tapatalk
Except it's a Roku...LOL.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Was there a test done of the bitrates of different apps on the Apple TV? I would love to compare them to other devices. I don’t own an Mac though or I would do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,423 Posts
OK, thanks @Ph8te, just wondering if worth time and effort. Many more things to look thru on the ATV this weekend.
That just me, there are so many other things to watch on AppleTV4K other than 4K SDR. I would t seek it out for YouTube, as there is so much more HDR content Out there. If it happens to be one of your subscriptions it’s nice to have, other than that it gets a ¯\(ツ)/¯ from me. This would especially be the case if you’re looking for demo content ;)

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
No, just one of my subscriptions had 4K videos, was able to test there. Tbh it’s not impressive (as I would expect). Until they add HDR it’s a ¯\(ツ)/¯.
That’s how I feel about it also, it might as well have not been upgraded imo compared to now. HDR is the difference maker with it and there is some really impressive HDR Demo’s on there.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Google are pretty darn odd with video. I can't even figure who their target market is for paid content, either Google play movies which are in youtube now (I mean stereo sound for goodness sake, and this far into the 4K era still no HDR and Dolby Vision - the idea of paying them money for this is ludicrous), or youtube red (like I keep hearing now how great Cobra Kai is now it moved to Netflix, after living in anonymity in youtube for years).

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Was there a test done of the bitrates of different apps on the Apple TV? I would love to compare them to other devices. I don’t own an Mac though or I would do it.

I did several months ago and posted here. Here’s a brief update done just now.
Rogue One 4K DoVi/Atmos

Movies Anywhere 25 - 32 Mbps
iTunes - 20 - 31 Mbps
Vudu - 22 - 35 Mbps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
I did several months ago and posted here. Here’s a brief update done just now.
Rogue One 4K DoVi/Atmos

Movies Anywhere 25 - 32 Mbps
iTunes - 20 - 31 Mbps
Vudu - 22 - 35 Mbps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks! Bummer that you need an Mac for Xcode. I really like to compare bitrates of different apps.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
This is purely anecdotal but I was watching Bly Manor on Netflix on the ATV. I have an 5.1.2 system, and my AVR indicates it was Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos. After pausing I had some issues with the ATV getting back to the server, so I just changed inputs to my LG Smart TV's Netflix and was able to continue. After watching another 20 minutes everyone in the room mentioned that it sounded so much better from my LG C9 TV compared to the ATV. Has anyone else experienced that?

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
This is purely anecdotal but I was watching Bly Manor on Netflix on the ATV. I have an 5.1.2 system, and my AVR indicates it was Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos. After pausing I had some issues with the ATV getting back to the server, so I just changed inputs to my LG Smart TV's Netflix and was able to continue. After watching another 20 minutes everyone in the room mentioned that it sounded so much better from my LG C9 TV compared to the ATV. Has anyone else experienced that?
Was your Lg passing Atmos via ARC or just DD+ 5.1? That could account for the different sound.

·
Registered
218 Posts
IMG_1074.jpg

While watching Star Trek next generation using Netflix I enabled the HUD.

What does the bitrate peak mean here?

31441 - 31460 of 31502 Posts