AVS Forum banner

32481 - 32500 of 32685 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
The fact it would enable me to type text into my “tv” with my iPad or iPhone makes getting Apple TV attractive. I also have an iMac with a wireless keyboard. I wonder if the new Apple TV might pick up on my keyboard every time I brought it near my television. My AirPods seem to almost magically swap over to whatever other device I am using. I can pretty much wear them all day and whenever I pick up a different Apple device they seem to automatically switch over. It would be great if my wireless keyboard also worked that way with an Apple TV, though I wonder if doing so might require one of those special chips that the AirPods have.

·
Administrator
19,592 Posts

·
Registered
17,303 Posts
The fact it would enable me to type text into my “tv” with my iPad or iPhone makes getting Apple TV attractive. I also have an iMac with a wireless keyboard. I wonder if the new Apple TV might pick up on my keyboard every time I brought it near my television. My AirPods seem to almost magically swap over to whatever other device I am using. I can pretty much wear them all day and whenever I pick up a different Apple device they seem to automatically switch over. It would be great if my wireless keyboard also worked that way with an Apple TV, though I wonder if doing so might require one of those special chips that the AirPods have.
I have an old Apple wireless keyboard that I never use. I think I'll try to pair it with the ATV4k and see if it works. With the iPhone and iPad keyboards I have no reason to use it but it might be a fun experiment to run. Both are bluetooth so they should pair easily. I would think that once you turn on the keyboard it connects to the ATV4k.

Oops, I see @Mike Lang beat me to it! Think I'll still play with it even tho I can't imagine a reason to use the keyboard.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I guess you could mount an Apple trackpad and keyboard (same major dimensions except width) together for a complete io setup. Too bad I suppose it would only work for Apple TV rather than entire TV UI, though. I wish Apple would make entire TVs with their processors and chips built in an single awesome Apple UI across the entire system. They don’t like to spread themselves out across too many product lines, though. They already got out of making wireless routers etc even though they were the best on the market. FaceID and lidar would be cool in a tv too.

·
Administrator
19,592 Posts
I installed Infuse then never used it because Plex did everything I wanted.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello everyone. I wanted to ask who still use the ATV as the main streaming device? I have an ATV 4K and a Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 and have some questions if someone can help.

Picture:
  • The Shield can display 23.976, 24 and 25 fps correctly in Netflix using the device match frame rate option. The ATV can’t do 24 and for 25 it doubles to 50 and I don’t know if it is my perception but sometime I see odd images. For Disney+ and Prime Video I just change the refresh rate and works fine (no 24 or 25fps movies or series).
  • 4K quality I think is the same.

Audio:
  • The Shield can pass through DD+ from these streaming apps. I have an issue with Prime Video on the ATV that the volume is very low and not as rich as the Shield or the internal LG C9 app (maybe it does not support PCM well) and I have to turn the volume up like 10 numbers. I have a Sony DH790 receiver with the right settings and this only happens with Prime and the ATV. Atmos sounds good though.
  • I don’t know if it’s me but sometimes I feel the PCM on the ATV is not as immersive as DD+ even though it is not compressed.

What I want to know is the following:

• Is it true that the ATV has the highest bitrates in these streaming apps? I know it is for Apple TV+ but not sure for the others.
  • Has anyone found any difference in audio quality from PCM to DD+? For Atmos tracks I have found no differences with any platform or device but for regular 5.1 I feel is not the same but maybe it is just me.

Thank you.

·
Registered
12,987 Posts

• Is it true that the ATV has the highest bitrates in these streaming apps? I know it is for Apple TV+ but not sure for the others.
Non-Apples services will not use any different bitrates. No one every claimed that.
[*]Has anyone found any difference in audio quality from PCM to DD+? For Atmos tracks I have found no differences with any platform or device but for regular 5.1 I feel is not the same but maybe it is just me.
Just raise the volume level a few dbs and they will be exactly the same. What happens is that most AVRs have Dialog Normalization function that only works with bitstreamed DD/DD+ audio, not PCM. So, typically, it will be a few dbs lower in volume level for PCM.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Hello everyone. I wanted to ask who still use the ATV as the main streaming device? I have an ATV 4K and a Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 and have some questions if someone can help.

Picture:
  • The Shield can display 23.976, 24 and 25 fps correctly in Netflix using the device match frame rate option. The ATV can’t do 24 and for 25 it doubles to 50 and I don’t know if it is my perception but sometime I see odd images. For Disney+ and Prime Video I just change the refresh rate and works fine (no 24 or 25fps movies or series).

Audio:
  • The Shield can pass through DD+ from these streaming apps. I have an issue with Prime Video on the ATV that the volume is very low and not as rich as the Shield or the internal LG C9 app (maybe it does not support PCM well) and I have to turn the volume up like 10 numbers. I have a Sony DH790 receiver with the right settings and this only happens with Prime and the ATV. Atmos sounds good though.
  • I don’t know if it’s me but sometimes I feel the PCM on the ATV is not as immersive as DD+ even though it is not compressed.

• Has anyone found any difference in audio quality from PCM to DD+? For Atmos tracks I have found no differences with any platform or device but for regular 5.1 I feel is not the same but maybe it is just me.

Thank you.
I’m probably in the minority on this thread but I have never used my ATV 4K as my “main streaming device”. I have 3 streaming devices at each of my 2 main viewing locations (Nvidia Shield, FireTV Stick 4k, and ATV 4K) in order of most used for me it has always been : 1-Nvidia Shield, 2-FireTV Stick 4k, 3-ATV 4k. My ATV 4KS were mainly added for NetFlix ATMOS support (originally also for PSVUE multiview support but with the demise of PSVUE...).

·
Registered
20,607 Posts

Picture:

Audio:

Thank you.
It really comes down to this. If you want the best pure steamer, use ATV4K, if you want access to lossless audio for local media use Shield. This is how I usually recommend the devices. Both can do local and streaming, but each “specializes” in a different way.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
It really comes down to this. If you want the best pure steamer, use ATV4K, if you want access to lossless audio for local media use Shield. This is how I usually recommend the devices. Both can do local and streaming, but each “specializes” in a different way.
I'd definitely agree on the streaming for the Apps tv. For local media though in my books there are better options - the Zidoos. The current ones even do Dolby Vision. They do one thing I can't do without that the Nvidia can't. 3D.

If the Nvidia had the Apple TV app, it would be probably equivalent of slightly better to the Apple TV. But without it, yoú really are missing the best (next to kaleidoscope, which technically isn't streaming, per se) bit rates and quality for streaming content. Aside from raw bitrates, even if you did have the same móvies on Prime or Netflix, it is pretty rare something in iTunes that is 4k Dolby Vision and Atmos is same on streaming service.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I wanted to ask who still use the ATV as the main streaming device?
The ATV4K is still the primary streaming device in my Living Room. However, I have switched to NVIDIA Shield tubes as primary for the other three TVs in the house with FS4K as the backup device since I already had them. I plan to switch to a Shield Pro next month as the primary in the Living Room, once my BestBuy rewards show up, with the ATV4K, FS4K, and Roku Ultra as alternate devices. Assuming AppleTV+ is good enough on AndroidTV when it shows up, I will probably rarely use the ATV4K or the other devices.

I prefer the UI of the ATV4K, but I think the Shield is a better device overall for my wife and I.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I generally stream movies from various services through my ATV, but yesterday I happened to be near a Redbox kiosk and rented the Blu-ray version of Honest Thief. As with most streaming services the video was just fine, even from a JVC projector lighting a 125" screen. What really struck me, though, was how much more intense the audio sounded off the disc compared to what I usually get from streaming.

I mainly have left the audio settings in the ATV at their defaults and am wondering if there might be some changes that would produce better audio. I use an 11.1 surround system with pretty high quality speakers and electronics. I'm guessing this a much more elaborate audio setup than most ATV users use and perhaps the ATV defaults to what would be appropriate for most users. A lot of the ATV settings are self explanatory, but sometimes they interact with each other in ways the uninitiated might not anticipate.

Any suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I generally stream movies from various services through my ATV, but yesterday I happened to be near a Redbox kiosk and rented the Blu-ray version of Honest Thief. As with most streaming services the video was just fine, even from a JVC projector lighting a 125" screen. What really struck me, though, was how much more intense the audio sounded off the disc compared to what I usually get from streaming.

I mainly have left the audio settings in the ATV at their defaults and am wondering if there might be some changes that would produce better audio. I use an 11.1 surround system with pretty high quality speakers and electronics. I'm guessing this a much more elaborate audio setup than most ATV users use and perhaps the ATV defaults to what would be appropriate for most users. A lot of the ATV settings are self explanatory, but sometimes they interact with each other in ways the uninitiated might not anticipate.

Not much you can do on the audio side. In a lot of cases (I'm on the BEQ thread) a lot of the ones what have been looked at are the same spectrum wise the apple Lossy vs Lossless on disc - but the Dialnorm setting on the streamed version might be too low, meaning you need to up the volume. In quite a number of cases though the actual dynamic range is lower, so loud to quiett, has a less range of decibels.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts

Disc usually sound better than streams.

Reactions: naustin and lujan

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
They don't do P7 FEL (or even MEL for that matter) DV though. None of these streaming boxes do so useless for those who rip their discs.
If that is so blisteringly important for "legally ripped material", and it makes an actual difference, maybe. I don't use it for uhd. You know why? I play the disc. 3d though there is so many that have audio upgrades available on the 2d br or uhd. And I can do that 100% with a zidoo, and 0% with a shield. If the shield supported 3d, if may be of use.

32481 - 32500 of 32685 Posts