AVS Forum banner

32501 - 32520 of 32685 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
If that is so blisteringly important for "legally ripped material", and it makes an actual difference, maybe.
Sure it does. If I spend the money on the HDR version I wan't to watch it in HDR. And if it hapens to be a DV movie why wouldn't I want to watch it in DV? I have a DV capable TV and a BR player that plays (full P7) DV over the network so no need to sacrifice anything for convenience.

I don't use it for uhd. You know why? I play the disc. 3d though there is so many that have audio upgrades available on the 2d br or uhd. And I can do that 100% with a zidoo, and 0% with a shield. If the shield supported 3d, if may be of use.
If you don't even care about UHD why not buy the cheaper 1080p version?

·
Registered
11,727 Posts
Sorry to continue with off topic stuff?

I noticed that the ipad air 4 can Airplay HDR and ATMOS to an ATV4k.

I don't have the HUD set up anymore so I cannot verify for sure, but it ALSO seems like I was able to download the HDR and ATMOS version of an iTunes movie I own to the ipad Air......and it sure looked like it was 4k, as well.

I know it's not as cool as downloading one's movies in UHD to a computer, but I was still living under the old idea that 1080p content was the best quality that the studios would let one download and save offline.....and quietly the world changed. At this point I guess this means it is possible to download ones iTunes UHD purchases for safe keeping.....but not to a Mac (or other computer) but just to an iOS device?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Is Dialnorm some setting that can be changed or is it a fixed setting that can only be changed by raising the master volume level?

but the Dialnorm setting on the streamed version might be too low, meaning you need to up the volume

·
Registered
11,727 Posts
Its in the original signal. The intention is that it makes different sources have a similar peak loudness.

It was largely designed to solve the issue when watching TV where the show had one sense of loudness and then the advertisement comes on and sounds far more loud. Dialnorm in the signal tries to make it so the end result is that you don't get those big differences between pieces of content (without just compressing things) by shifting things down in a uniform linear manner.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Is Dialnorm some setting that can be changed or is it a fixed setting that can only be changed by raising the master volume level?
It is metadata in the signal. I think some AVRs display it momentarily or can show it in info screen or app. I'm pretty sure I'd see it on my old onkyo. You can only compensate by changing the master level.

It comes up less frequently in the Apple streamed versions now than it used to.

Sure it does. If I spend the money on the HDR version I wan't to watch it in HDR. And if it hapens to be a DV movie why wouldn't I want to watch it in DV? I have a DV capable TV and a BR player that plays (full P7) DV over the network so no need to sacrifice anything for convenience.

If you don't even care about UHD why not buy the cheaper 1080p version?
I care about UHDs a lot. On disc. And the latest zidoo does Dolby Vision. And all lossless audio formats.

·
Registered
394 Posts
As I heard about ”Dialog Normalization” before and was curious to find out more, I found a very detailed article about it, that might be interesting for others too:
It is metadata in the signal. I think some AVRs display it momentarily or can show it in info screen or app. I'm pretty sure I'd see it on my old onkyo. You can only compensate by changing the master level.

It comes up less frequently in the Apple streamed versions now than it used to.
So if I got that right, “Dialog Normalization” is something that is done by the Dolby Decoder. As ATV is decoding internally and then outputs Multichannel PCM, I wonder if there could be some kind of bug in ATV‘s Dolby decoding. For example always using a default value instead of respecting the metadata. So audio will sound lower on ATV compared to streamers that support passthrough, so decoding and Dialnorm will be done by the AVR. Because if the metadata of the stream is respected on ATV too, it should make no difference when watching the same content coming from the same streaming service.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
So if I got that right, “Dialog Normalization” is something that is done by the Dolby Decoder. As ATV is decoding internally and then outputs Multichannel PCM, I wonder if there could be some kind of bug in ATV‘s Dolby decoding. For example always using a default value instead of respecting the metadata. So audio will sound lower on ATV compared to streamers that support passthrough, so decoding and Dialnorm will be done by the AVR. Because if the metadata of the stream is respected on ATV too, it should make no difference when watching the same content coming from the same streaming service.
Yes, it gets a bit greyer when you are talking about the PCM output. The Dolby MAT format that gives us Dolby Atmos on the Apple TV PCM output means there is extra metadata that is sent with the PCM signal to the AVR. It is possible that there is also dialnorm metadata sent with the PCM also - or as you indicate the ATV decoding might apply that dialnorm to the PCM waveform. I'm not sure ont the low level how all that works. I always just thought of PCM data as digitized waveforms, and am not physically sure what the metadata available is.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yes, it gets a bit greyer when you are talking about the PCM output. The Dolby MAT format that gives us Dolby Atmos on the Apple TV PCM output means there is extra metadata that is sent with the PCM signal to the AVR. It is possible that there is also dialnorm metadata sent with the PCM also - or as you indicate the ATV decoding might apply that dialnorm to the PCM waveform. I'm not sure ont the low level how all that works. I always just thought of PCM data as digitized waveforms, and am not physically sure what the metadata available is.
My Denon AVR shows the Dialnorm value for a short time, but it only does it when the signal coming in is Dolby audio. So you might be right and ATV’s PCM audio could still carry the Dialnorm metadata, but it seems that at least my AVR doesn’t respect it in this case. In my opinion it’s more likely that ATV would already apply Dialnorm when decoding Dolby audio internally.

But in the end it’s just a minor issue in my opinion as it won’t affect the dynamic range of the soundtrack, so all you will have to do is raise or lower your AVR’s volume in some cases.

·
Administrator
19,592 Posts
Anyone using the AT&T TV app on ATV? I was thinking of moving from DTV to AT&T TV.
Didn’t that just get killed? Or was that just the NOW service?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I care about UHDs a lot. On disc. And the latest zidoo does Dolby Vision. And all lossless audio formats.
Only streaming profiles are supported though which is useless for me. I don't even know anyone that has a need to play back local content with any of the other DV profiles. Only the streaming services use those profiles.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Anyone using the AT&T TV app on ATV? I was thinking of moving from DTV to AT&T TV.
I used to use ATT but they were not very stable and support was bad plus it is one of the most expensive. That was 2 years ago so they could have improved. I use YTTV now which is also expensive at $65 but it has all the channels plus lots of sports, unlimited DVR and it’s stable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,607 Posts
I use it occasionally, but since I set up Channels DVR with TV Everywhere access, I rarely open the app since most of the channels I watch are via the individual apps or ChannelsDVR app. I’m on a legacy plan however, so I moved apps to get around DVR limitations.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
With tvOS 14.3 playing music videos in Home Sharing playlists was broken. If the first track in a playlist is a video it will play fullscreen just fine, but every video after that plays in the little artwork box in the middle of the screen. If you can reproduce this, please submit feedback, it still isn't fixed in 14.4b2. My feedback assistant report says "less than 10 other reports".

Surely someone else watches videos in playlists?

IMG_0181.jpeg

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I use it occasionally, but since I set up Channels DVR with TV Everywhere access, I rarely open the app since most of the channels I watch are via the individual apps or ChannelsDVR app. I’m on a legacy plan however, so I moved apps to get around DVR limitations.
So you just have ATT for TV channel authentication?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
As I heard about ”Dialog Normalization” before and was curious to find out more, I found a very detailed article about it, that might be interesting for others too:

I have found in at least some cases that AVR's will apply Dialog Normalization in a +4 to -27dB range rather than the 0 to -31dB range applied by most source devices. (A -31 Dialnorm value resulting in a 4dB boost rather than no adjustment.) This results in everything being 4dB louder when the bitstream decoding occurs in the AVR. My Pioneer SC-77 applies Dialog Normalization as +4 to -27 (clearly displaying it as such) when decoding the bitstream and is measurably 4dB louder than allowing my Oppo UDP-203 to decode the bitstream and output LPCM to the SC-77.

Reactions: KingNothing81

·
Administrator
19,592 Posts
I set my ATV to 4.2.0, but it keeps changing on it own to 4.4.4. Is there a way to stop this from changing?
What is your display?

32501 - 32520 of 32685 Posts