AVS Forum banner

33221 - 33240 of 33617 Posts

·
Registered
17,733 Posts
Good evening friends , perhaps you could continue to help me through this current problem which I’ve never experienced before tonight and a few of you have also experienced the last couple days. I cannot seem to access any of my apps on my ATV4K box when I click on them. They attempt to engage and then it jumps to the Apple home preview page. I cannot even access the Settings app to check if the latest software update has been installed. Clicking play/pause button only seems to work sometimes when I’m forced to Apple home preview page. Could this be a result of the latest software update? I too live in California. Very puzzled and frustrated , this never happened before and my ATV4K has worked near flawlessly until now. Thanks for your always helpful feedback.
Have you tried to reset the ATV? I'm still on 14.4 but have not had any issues as you describe after an update. I did have another issue once that was only resolved with a complete reset.

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Hello all, I hope this question is appropriate. The family wants to watch Kong vs Godzilla tomorrow night and I'm wondering what app gives the best picture and sound on the ATV4K? Anything better on the ShieldTV(2019)? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Hello all, I hope this question is appropriate. The family wants to watch Kong vs Godzilla tomorrow night and I'm wondering what app gives the best picture and sound on the ATV4K? Anything better on the ShieldTV(2019)? Thanks in advance.
YOu have no app choice for this movie. It is only on HBO Max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Have you tried to reset the ATV? I'm still on 14.4 but have not had any issues as you describe after an update. I did have another issue once that was only resolved with a complete reset.
Yes i have tried unplugging at the box waiting a few minutes and plugging back in. I tried restarting the Apple box and that didn’t work. I will try resetting the ATV4K if I can get back into the Settings app. but as usual today it’s acting up again just like last evening by almost signing on to any and all apps and then jumping to the Apple home preview page. Frustrating

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I know it is soooo old school, but for the best experience at home, wait for the BD to be available and use that. I know, instant gratification and all. But as was mentioned, for now, you are limited to HBO Max. Not sure if they ever got it straight, as I don't pay for HBO in any iteration, but at one point people were complaining about no DD+ or Atmos from the Shield with HBO Max. You could ask on the Shield 2019 thread.

·
Registered
17,733 Posts
Yes i have tried unplugging at the box waiting a few minutes and plugging back in. I tried restarting the Apple box and that didn’t work. I will try resetting the ATV4K if I can get back into the Settings app. but as usual today it’s acting up again just like last evening by almost signing on to any and all apps and then jumping to the Apple home preview page. Frustrating
If you can get to the Settings, I'd do a complete reset and install. You'll have to download the apps again and re-enter your passwords but it may bring it back from the dead. When I did that, I used my iPhone remote app to re-renter my passwords via 1Password7 so it was easy-breezy. If not, give Apple a call.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you can get to the Settings, I'd do a complete reset and install. You'll have to download the apps again and re-enter your passwords but it may bring it back from the dead. When I did that, I used my iPhone remote app to re-renter my passwords via 1Password7 so it was easy-breezy. If not, give Apple a call.
I was finally able to access Settings app and performed a reset. After importing favorite apps and re-entering all passwords everything seems to working properly again. Still a mystery why this problem occurred in the first place but I am as always very grateful for everyone’s help and guidance.You all rock 👍🏼🙏🏻

Reactions: beerhunt

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
YOu have no app choice for this movie. It is only on HBO Max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know it is soooo old school, but for the best experience at home, wait for the BD to be available and use that. I know, instant gratification and all. But as was mentioned, for now, you are limited to HBO Max. Not sure if they ever got it straight, as I don't pay for HBO in any iteration, but at one point people were complaining about no DD+ or Atmos from the Shield with HBO Max. You could ask on the Shield 2019 thread.
I apologize, I jump the gun and was not clear in my OP. I was under the assumption there were different qualities of bitrate through the HBOMax app depending what service you went through. After a little research it seems the HBOMax stand-alone app is the way to go and other apps, like ATV+ just go through that anyway. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
I haven't heard ATV4K users complain about the sound of GvK...

I turned my system up before I watched Godzilla Vs Kong and while a bit of the dialog made me want the UHD BD version overall the was a thrilling fun experience.

Next time I watch will be the UHD BD version with luck.

·
Administrator
20,528 Posts
The dialog was ridiculously low. I had to crank it up to the point the subwoofers were shaking the whole house just to hear what people were saying.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
The dialog was ridiculously low. I had to crank it up to the point the subwoofers were shaking the whole house just to hear what people were saying.
That's exactly it.

No One was home and I had the house shaking from the start.

It's GvK ..... if you didn't think the house was going to come apart then you didn't think it though to begin with.

Still... there was a little bit of struggle with the dialog. I'm convinced UHD BD is the ONLY way to watch this but in the mean time to avoid spoilers get someone's HBO Max credentials. :)

·
Registered
4,271 Posts

I turned my system up before I watched Godzilla Vs Kong and while a bit of the dialog made me want the UHD BD version overall the was a thrilling fun experience.

Next time I watch will be the UHD BD version with luck.
We had a hard time hearing and understanding the dialogue without turning it way, way up but then the effects were too loud. Anyone else?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Brian Hampton

·
Administrator
20,528 Posts
That's exactly it.

No One was home and I had the house shaking from the start.

It's GvK ..... if you didn't think the house was going to come apart then you didn't think it though to begin with.

Still... there was a little bit of struggle with the dialog
That doesn't excuse the fact that the audio mix was horrifically bad.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Maybe they will fix it for the steaming version too.

Streaming is generally a compromised experience no matter what. ESP Audio !

I'll keep buying the discs and I hope they keep making them.

Wanting reference quality from streaming is looking for steak at McDonalds.

·
Administrator
20,528 Posts
No one is expecting “reference quality from streaming”, but an audio mix where the dialogue is understandable isn’t too much to ask for.

·
Administrator
20,528 Posts
Can’t you just turn up the center channel to hear the dialogue better?
Sure, you can also just tilt your head if your screen was hung crooked but the point is you shouldn't have to.

·
** Man of Leisure **
24,610 Posts
Not sure that I have ever tried using it before, but when I try and open the NBC streaming app, I just get a gray screen and it never responds. Is this a known issue? How would I trouble-shoot why it is not launching?

·
Premium Member
35,826 Posts
Not sure that I have ever tried using it before, but when I try and open the NBC streaming app, I just get a gray screen and it never responds. Is this a known issue? How would I trouble-shoot why it is not launching?
Delete the app and reload it from the App Store? And isn’t all NBC content available in the Peacock app now?

33221 - 33240 of 33617 Posts