AVS Forum banner

35561 - 35580 of 35889 Posts

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
The apple tv is more frustrating than anything I owned till now !
The internet does not work on 5ghz channel. And on the 2.4 , frequently notice buffering and today it randomly disconnects and a restart only helps. This has been going on for more than an hour, and in the same time no other device has this issue.
Speedtest is the most used on my Apple TV !
So what does speedtest say? The behavior you're describing is consistent with the ATV4k not being close enough to the access point. 5GHz has less reach than 2.4GHz so it's common for it not to connect at a distance where 2.4GHz already is weak.

If you can pull an ethernet cable that'd be the best, cheapest and fastest. If you do that maybe get a cheap 8-port gigabit switch that you can put in your media center to connect other devices.

·
Registered
109 Posts
So what does speedtest say? The behavior you're describing is consistent with the ATV4k not being close enough to the access point. 5GHz has less reach than 2.4GHz so it's common for it not to connect at a distance where 2.4GHz already is weak.

If you can pull an ethernet cable that'd be the best, cheapest and fastest. If you do that maybe get a cheap 8-port gigabit switch that you can put in your media center to connect other devices.
Speedtest gives max 30 mbps on the 2.4Ghz, and today most of the time it did not connect at all.
I reset the Apple TV and now it is connected.

I will have to move the modem router to the living room, as they are not in the same room right now. But surprised that no other device in that area has a problem - TV/AVR/Firestick/mobile devices

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I wish the AirPods would automatically connect to the Apple TV when you put them in like they do with the iPhone and iPad. Unless there’s a setting I don’t know about?

·
Administrator
20,997 Posts
Speedtest gives max 30 mbps on the 2.4Ghz, and today most of the time it did not connect at all.
I reset the Apple TV and now it is connected.

I will have to move the modem router to the living room, as they are not in the same room right now. But surprised that no other device in that area has a problem - TV/AVR/Firestick/mobile devices
Run an Ethernet cable and be done with it. :)

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
I have a 2021 Apple TV 4K connected to my Marantz 7010 then to 5.1 speakers and I would like to listen to the Spatial Audio and Lossless through the speakers.

As I don't have Atmos speakers, should i leave the Apple TV Audio Format setting at Auto, Atmos Available and the Music App settings as Dolby Digital Auto and Audio Lossless or will i have to make some changes.
Spatial Audio only works on a small number of Apple headphones.

Object Audio like Atmos should be fine for your system.

There has been some debate about whether Lossless versus Surround / Object audio like Atmos are mutually exclusive.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Ive found the ATV's to have good wifi ability, but mine on ethernet will report back 600 down from Ookla. Needless to say I don't have an issue with Netflix or my NAS.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Yeah, it's not just the speed of ethernet, it's the consistency and reliability. The LG C9 "only" has 100Mbps Ethernet because LG are cheap bastards, and its 5GHz measures faster on Speedtest, but my apps like Netflix would sometimes buffer or drop down quality unexpectedly on WiFi, whereas on the "slow" Ethernet it's consistently good enough.

·
Premium Member
1,395 Posts
The apple tv is more frustrating than anything I owned till now !
The internet does not work on 5ghz channel. And on the 2.4 , frequently notice buffering and today it randomly disconnects and a restart only helps. This has been going on for more than an hour, and in the same time no other device has this issue.
Speedtest is the most used on my Apple TV !
I'll re-check when I get home but, I'm 90% sure I have a ATV4K (1st gen) connected via 5ghz and it works just fine. Is it too far away from the router/AP?

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
I thought it was just me on the 5ghz wifi issue. My ATV is sitting direct line of site about 3' from the router and I could never get it to connect to my 5ghz network. I had to switch it to my guest network on 2.4ghz before it'd work. I've not had any issues with it on that network. I don't have any short network cables left in my inventory and I've not had time to make one for it yet so I've left it on the guest network for now. But yes, it's an issue.

·
Administrator
20,997 Posts
I ran dual ethernet and dual RG6 cables to every room in my house except bathrooms. I only use wifi if I have to.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I thought it was just me on the 5ghz wifi issue. My ATV is sitting direct line of site about 3' from the router and I could never get it to connect to my 5ghz network. I had to switch it to my guest network on 2.4ghz before it'd work. I've not had any issues with it on that network. I don't have any short network cables left in my inventory and I've not had time to make one for it yet so I've left it on the guest network for now. But yes, it's an issue.
What channnel is your 5GHz set at? Some devices have trouble with the DFS channels.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Although as you know ethernet is normally best you shouldn’t have any trouble with 5ghz wifi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: solarrdadd

·
Registered
11 Posts
Spatial Audio only works on a small number of Apple headphones.

Object Audio like Atmos should be fine for your system.

There has been some debate about whether Lossless versus Surround / Object audio like Atmos are mutually exclusive.
Ok thanks for that.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
The LG C9 "only" has 100Mbps Ethernet because LG are cheap bastards
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe any tv's that are currently being manufactured, have gig ethernet!

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
Although as you know ethernet is normally best you shouldn’t have any trouble with 5ghz wifi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yea I was surprised when I got it and it wouldn't connect to wifi at all. I had to grab my 10' cable to run the 3' to the router. It didn't look so nice. LOL And the SHIELD is hard wired because I use Plex for content on my NAS. Plex is somewhat of a mess on the ATV so I'm only using it for streaming right now. Hence it can stay on wifi for now. I split my guest and lan networks between 2.4 and 5 for reliability reasons.

Reactions: m_snow

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Yea I was surprised when I got it and it wouldn't connect to wifi at all. I had to grab my 10' cable to run the 3' to the router. It didn't look so nice. LOL And the SHIELD is hard wired because I use Plex for content on my NAS. Plex is somewhat of a mess on the ATV so I'm only using it for streaming right now. Hence it can stay on wifi for now. I split my guest and lan networks between 2.4 and 5 for reliability reasons.
Maybe try one of the lower channels. This shouldn't happen with the ATV, but my Nexus 9 cannot connect to the channels above the DFS channels (151 and above). Maybe it's interference.

But if your Shield is already hardwired, why not get a cheap gig switch and use that cable to hardwire other devices? I'm doing that with a switch behind my TV, only one cable from the router necessary.

35561 - 35580 of 35889 Posts