AVS Forum banner

35581 - 35600 of 35889 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'll re-check when I get home but, I'm 90% sure I have a ATV4K (1st gen) connected via 5ghz and it works just fine. Is it too far away from the router/AP?
It is around 30+ feet away, and has a wall in between.
I am really annoyed by the fact that a cheap firestick never had these issues. I cannot justify buying a mesh network for this reason, and moving router modem setup to the tv area is a hassle.

Firestick, smartTV,xbox never had to be restarted due to internet issues. And did not bother to run speedtest ever on those devices.

·
Registered
17,957 Posts
So what does speedtest say? The behavior you're describing is consistent with the ATV4k not being close enough to the access point. 5GHz has less reach than 2.4GHz so it's common for it not to connect at a distance where 2.4GHz already is weak.

If you can pull an ethernet cable that'd be the best, cheapest and fastest. If you do that maybe get a cheap 8-port gigabit switch that you can put in your media center to connect other devices.
That's exactly what I've done with both of my ATV's (Gen1 and Gen2). Hard wire with solid copper core, UTP, CAT-6 cabling to 8-port gigabit switches. Works perfectly everytime.

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
Maybe try one of the lower channels. This shouldn't happen with the ATV, but my Nexus 9 cannot connect to the channels above the DFS channels (151 and above). Maybe it's interference.

But if your Shield is already hardwired, why not get a cheap gig switch and use that cable to hardwire other devices? I'm doing that with a switch behind my TV, only one cable from the router necessary.
I can hard wire the ATV, too, I just don't have a cable made that I can easily hide and make it look nice. I recently wall hung the C8 and have a minimalist stand for my equipment. I got some of these:

Amazon.com: [4 Pack] JOTO Cable Management Sleeve, 19-20 Inch Cord Organizer System with Zipper for TV Computer Office Home Entertainment, Flexible Cable Sleeve Wrap Cover Wire Hider System -Black: Home Improvement

To manage wires below the TV. I just need to take the 10 minutes needed to make myself a new cable of the proper length to fit without cluttering the entertainment stand and haven't had time to do so yet.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I ran dual ethernet and dual RG6 cables to every room in my house except bathrooms. I only use wifi if I have to.
Come on man, get with it! RG6 & CAT6 in the master bath!

At the time I designed the home, some were putting TVs behind see through mirrors, admittedly those connections have never been used. Elsewhere in the house nothing with an Ethernet port uses WiFi, we even have Gig switches in the garage and pole barn, can’t beat a wire (and yes, damn cheap a$$ Sony with 100 Mbps port!)

Reactions: Mike Lang

·
Registered
109 Posts
The apple tv is more frustrating than anything I owned till now !
The internet does not work on 5ghz channel. And on the 2.4 , frequently notice buffering and today it randomly disconnects and a restart only helps. This has been going on for more than an hour, and in the same time no other device has this issue.
Speedtest is the most used on my Apple TV !
I noticed that my 2nd generation apple TV 4k speed tests far below my first gen.

I would routinely hit 700mbps download (hardwired) on the old one.

This far my top speed on the new one is 325mbps.

Another device on the same switch is still hitting over 600mbos. Changed patch cables just to be sure, and getting same results

·
Registered
17,957 Posts
I can hard wire the ATV, too, I just don't have a cable made that I can easily hide and make it look nice. I recently wall hung the C8 and have a minimalist stand for my equipment. I got some of these:

Amazon.com: [4 Pack] JOTO Cable Management Sleeve, 19-20 Inch Cord Organizer System with Zipper for TV Computer Office Home Entertainment, Flexible Cable Sleeve Wrap Cover Wire Hider System -Black: Home Improvement

To manage wires below the TV. I just need to take the 10 minutes needed to make myself a new cable of the proper length to fit without cluttering the entertainment stand and haven't had time to do so yet.
I just had some electricians come out and install conduit and then run about 100' of solid core CAT-6 (non-CCA/CCS) to two rooms (downstairs and upstairs) connecting to CAT-6 wall plates, and then CAT-6 ethernet cable to the gigabit switches. Both of my HTS's are on media consoles with no visible wiring at all.

·
Premium Member
10,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35,588 ·
I noticed that my 2nd generation apple TV 4k speed tests far below my first gen.
Unless your ATV is defective I'd guess it's a local issue. I just got 718Mb/s on a gen2 and 747Mb/s on a gen1.

Of course if you want an accurate measure of performance you need to run a local test. I get 911Mb/s on my gen2 and 890Mb/s on my gen1

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
I just had some electricians come out and install conduit and then run about 100' of solid core CAT-6 (non-CCA/CCS) to two rooms (downstairs and upstairs) connecting to CAT-6 wall plates, and then CAT-6 ethernet cable to the gigabit switches. Both of my HTS's are on media consoles with no visible wiring at all.
I have cat5e and quad shielded rg6 (don't ask) run to all the rooms. My router is in the living room about 3' from the entertainment stand so my NAS, HTPC, SHIELD, TIVO, and UB820 are all hard wired directly to the router. I can add the ATV, as well. I just need to stop being lazy, grab some cable from the basement, and toss some ends on it. LOL

Reactions: pappaduke

·
Registered
665 Posts
Unless your ATV is defective I'd guess it's a local issue. I just got 718Mb/s on a gen2 and 747Mb/s on a gen1.

Of course if you want an accurate measure of performance you need to run a local test. I get 911Mb/s on my gen2 and 890Mb/s on my gen1
Those are great Ethernet speeds on any gig network. How are you running the local tests?

·
Registered
Yamaha TSR700 (Bose 301II’s), DirecTV 4K, Apple TV 4K, Philips 4K BDP, LG 75” Nanocell
452 Posts
I have CenturyLink GPON and ethernet to my gen 1 ATV 4K. Speedtest app routinely reports 930 up/down to CL server.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Infuse has a handy speed test, you choose a file and it starts the transfer while measuring the speed. I also saturated the Ethernet at 930-940 Mbps but on DLNA, which if you have used Infuse you know is not very pretty. On SMB which is what I use I get only mid-200s. I'm wondering what's the deal but from searching it appears other people have same issues and it's kind of unpredictable. I'm eager to test on the new ATV 4K.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I get the same on SMB with Infuse. I use a wireless bridge. And gig ethernet from it to the devices. iPerf one the Shield in the same system shows 350 to 375. But that is max bandwidth. I don't think that any current program material (which is what Infuse is using for the test), provides data rates that exceed 150. So I am not sure what Infuse is measuring or it's limitations. My OPPO with BD DV/Atmos content averages around 100Mbps. Plex with the same content using the current bridge never shows any problems. I would love to have GIG Ethernet, but it is not practical. I have thought about upgrading the bridge to take full advantage of the AX router and likely double the available bandwidth, but I really don't have much motivation as the current setup has no problems doing what I want it to do.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I’m hoping an TV / Harmony Hub user might have a suggestion for a slightly annoying navigation issue I’m having. I don’t use the TV remote and normally use a Hub based Harmony Elite with the Bluetooth pairing (Harmony Pro BT Apple TV 4), I also have the widget remotes on my iPhone and iPad.

If I’m deep in say the Music App listening to an album and I want to return to the Main Menu, on the widget remote I can press and hold the Menu button and voilá, I’m there. If I press and hold the Menu button on the Harmony, it returns me to the Main Menu and then puts me in the TV+ App. This seems to be a new situation, possibly starting with tvOS 14.5/6 or with the TV4K2. My bedroom TV4K1 with IR Harmony works as it should.

Does anyone else experience this? Any fixes or workarounds?

·
Registered
17,957 Posts
I have cat5e and quad shielded rg6 (don't ask) run to all the rooms. My router is in the living room about 3' from the entertainment stand so my NAS, HTPC, SHIELD, TIVO, and UB820 are all hard wired directly to the router. I can add the ATV, as well. I just need to stop being lazy, grab some cable from the basement, and toss some ends on it. LOL
Well get with it! ;)

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I get the same on SMB with Infuse. I use a wireless bridge. And gig ethernet from it to the devices. iPerf one the Shield in the same system shows 350 to 375. But that is max bandwidth. I don't think that any current program material (which is what Infuse is using for the test), provides data rates that exceed 150. So I am not sure what Infuse is measuring or it's limitations. My OPPO with BD DV/Atmos content averages around 100Mbps. Plex with the same content using the current bridge never shows any problems. I would love to have GIG Ethernet, but it is not practical. I have thought about upgrading the bridge to take full advantage of the AX router and likely double the available bandwidth, but I really don't have much motivation as the current setup has no problems doing what I want it to do.
Infuse is not measuring the A/V bitrate, just the file transfer speed locally, so it can go as high as the transfer medium allows. Even if A/V bitrate is max 108 Mbps which is the current max for UHD bluray, having higher transfer rates allows for less buffering delay when skipping for instance.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Forgive me, I'm not at my TV at the moment, but isn't there a menu setting on the Apple TV where you can choose the behavior of the home button? It can either be set to the main menu or Apple TV+. Dig around. You'll find it.
Thank you, that was it, hadn’t noticed that option, and the TV4K2 must have defaulted to it. Not sure why the widget remote didn’t do it, but no matter. 👏

Reactions: Neil S. Bulk
35581 - 35600 of 35889 Posts