AVS Forum banner

35601 - 35620 of 35889 Posts

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
same here with my Yamaha A1080, seems the AVR has a lot of load playing Atmos, if I start the on screen information, it takes as well a time until it's up. Doesn't happen if only playing 5.1
Also whenever the ATV screensavers initially start, the Atmos tracks will stop for a couple seconds and then start back up. Annoying but once it happens it’s good after that unless I hit info or something because then it will happen when the screensavers come back.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Infuse is not measuring the A/V bitrate, just the file transfer speed locally, so it can go as high as the transfer medium allows. Even if A/V bitrate is max 108 Mbps which is the current max for UHD bluray, having higher transfer rates allows for less buffering delay when skipping for instance.
Thanks for that explanation. It appears as if it is playing the movie... I may try it by selecting different content and see if there is any difference.
But I am perplexed at the +100 Mbps difference that iPerf shows connected through the same bridge and switch. iPerf running on the shield.
I am sure it is down to aspects of what is used for measurement and the source. iPerf uses small file sizes and there is no disk or other system latency or bottlenecks involved. But it is a pretty large discrepancy.
BTW, I believe that triple layer (BD100) can do 128 Mbps max. There are a bunch of them out there.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I'm getting 930Mbps average with 4K Gen 2 and SMB.

Reactions: Andy o

·
Registered
5.1.4 Setup with Dolby Vision capable OLED
1,099 Posts
Has anyone used the various betas of iOS 15 and tvOS 15 to see if we can finally AirPlay Dolby Vision videos from our 12 series phones properly?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I am trialing Apple Music now that they have added Atmos and so far I am really digging it. The only thing I am not crazy about using the ATV as a music player is using my projector to navigate the menus. Is there a way to do this on my iPhone or iPad instead and just output the music via the ATV? I am used to Spotify Connect and would like a similar functionality.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
I’m hoping an TV / Harmony Hub user might have a suggestion for a slightly annoying navigation issue I’m having. I don’t use the TV remote and normally use a Hub based Harmony Elite with the Bluetooth pairing (Harmony Pro BT Apple TV 4), I also have the widget remotes on my iPhone and iPad.

If I’m deep in say the Music App listening to an album and I want to return to the Main Menu, on the widget remote I can press and hold the Menu button and voilá, I’m there. If I press and hold the Menu button on the Harmony, it returns me to the Main Menu and then puts me in the TV+ App. This seems to be a new situation, possibly starting with tvOS 14.5/6 or with the TV4K2. My bedroom TV4K1 with IR Harmony works as it should.
Check your ATV Settings...Remote...TV Button. It can be set to Home Screen (seems like what you want) or toggle between Home and ATV App.

Long press on the Harmony remote can be wired to a different IR command than short press. The Harmony remote also may not be able to exactly mimic "hold press" in the ATV remote. You might be able to play with the Harmony device's repeat settings or else teach it the IR command of the ATV remote's long press.

Reactions: bmcleod

·
Registered
12 Posts

Two links that may answer a lot of questions people have been asking.
Turns out at least the Apple Insider article got Spatial audio meaning wrong, as it is not the head tracking. None of the ”Spatial Audio” enabled (Dolby Atmos) songs on Apple Music I’ve tried are head tracked - but music videos are. And based on my testing turning Dolby Atmos to Always On, it works on all headphones, it does not need Apple headphones.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Turns out at least the Apple Insider article got Spatial audio meaning wrong, as it is not the head tracking. None of the ”Spatial Audio” enabled (Dolby Atmos) songs on Apple Music I’ve tried are head tracked - but music videos are. And based on my testing turning Dolby Atmos to Always On, it works on all headphones, it does not need Apple headphones.
When spatial audio first came out it was head tracked and required Airpods Max or Pro (dunno, maybe a Beats or two?). That article seems to have been written before the Music service actually came out, which brought non-head-tracked spatial audio but AFAIK only to the Music service.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Not sure if this was already mentioned but I just right now noticed our 2021 model ATV is now playing in 5.1 on Hulu.

Reactions: helvetica bold

·
aka jfinnie
5,444 Posts
Are any others getting Atmos dropouts on ATV4KGen2? I've seen a few so far; I need to catch it in action to try and work out exactly what is going on. Seen them on audio-only playback from Apple Music and in video content.

Running the latest 14.7 beta. Signal chain is perhaps a little more complicated than most as I have a Lumagen Radiance Pro in the middle on the way to the AVP (Monoprice HTP1). This was not something I recall seeing on ATV4KGen1, though I wasn't perhaps playing as much Atmos. Still have an ATV4KGen1 so might hook that up and try and do some comparisons, but they happen infrequently enough that it is hard to draw much conclusion.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I am trialing Apple Music now that they have added Atmos and so far I am really digging it. The only thing I am not crazy about using the ATV as a music player is using my projector to navigate the menus. Is there a way to do this on my iPhone or iPad instead and just output the music via the ATV? I am used to Spotify Connect and would like a similar functionality.
If your AVR supports Airplay2, you can cast from your phone/iPad to the AVR up to Hi-res lossless in the Music app.

·
Registered
665 Posts
If your AVR supports Airplay2, you can cast from your phone/iPad to the AVR up to Hi-res lossless in the Music app.
To my knowledge AirPlay 2 is still a lossless 44/24, which would qualify as hi-res by most definitions (better than CD), but Apple‘s definition is ‘better than 48/24’ (TV‘s max rate). It seems the protocol is capable of higher rates, especially over Ethernet, but we haven’t heard of a change yet. Still it’s a good solution where needed.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
So…..anyway to get AirPods to auto connect to the Apple TV without having to go through the whole press and hold home button etc etc routine?

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
When spatial audio first came out it was head tracked and required Airpods Max or Pro (dunno, maybe a Beats or two?). That article seems to have been written before the Music service actually came out, which brought non-head-tracked spatial audio but AFAIK only to the Music service.
Don’t confuse object audio like Atmos and surround sound in general (encoded in the music) with spatial audio (not encoded in the music but just a method of changing audio on Headphones to sound more like being in a room with speakers).

·
Administrator
20,997 Posts
Not sure if this was already mentioned but I just right now noticed our 2021 model ATV is now playing in 5.1 on Hulu.
Yep, scroll upthread. It was all the talk a few days ago.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Don’t confuse object audio like Atmos and surround sound in general (encoded in the music) with spatial audio (not encoded in the music but just a method of changing audio on Headphones to sound more like being in a room with speakers).
That's what I meant, it's still spatial audio just not head tracked, like Dolby Headphone. That's why it works with any headphones. Head tracked spatial audio only works with AirPods Pro and Max

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Infuse has a handy speed test, you choose a file and it starts the transfer while measuring the speed. I also saturated the Ethernet at 930-940 Mbps but on DLNA, which if you have used Infuse you know is not very pretty. On SMB which is what I use I get only mid-200s. I'm wondering what's the deal but from searching it appears other people have same issues and it's kind of unpredictable. I'm eager to test on the new ATV 4K.
I‘ve never noticed the Infuse speed test. Is it in settings? How is it accessed?

Thank you.

Pip

·
Registered
10,626 Posts
So…..anyway to get AirPods to auto connect to the Apple TV without having to go through the whole press and hold home button etc etc routine?
Mine auto connected after the first time when I paired them but I don't like the auto connect because now every time I put them on, it activates my Apple TV and AVR. I don't want them to connect to ATV4K device every time I put them on so I unpaired them and then they disconnect from every other device as well. I don't like the syncing that Apple seems to think we like. I want each device to be independent of each other.

35601 - 35620 of 35889 Posts