AVS Forum banner

3581 - 3600 of 30753 Posts

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I think I saw mention that an iPhone can be used to control the new Apple TV. Can anyone confirm that? Has Apple's "Remote" app been reworked in iOS 9?

Craig
They used what appears to be an iPhone 6 as a game controller at the release demo so I'd say yes, it can be done.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I, too, have a nice universal (IR) remote...but we also have PS3 and Wii controllers at hand. The new ATV's remote is also a gaming controller and it does other things that an IR controller never dreamed of (touch pad, Siri mike).

Besides, infrared control needs to die.

Craig
Craig, agreed on much, if not all. We also have a PS3 (preferred over the PS4), and play only Move games for our little girls. The concept of having to use those motion controllers is no issue; as those are seen as part of playing the game, and not viewed as a remote control. The PS3 is used for playing DVDs a fair amount, including moments ago, where the universal IR remote handled everything with one activity selection (power to various devices, inputs selected, desired modes, etc). Same with Roku, et al...

If I (and others) incorporate the new ATV, just to use it for program viewing, I imagine how most use the device, I'd need to use my already established remote to choose the desired inputs, settings, etc... then put that down and talk to Siri or work the touchpad on that remote control.

To game on the ATV, sure, no problem there with a specialized Apple controller for that experience. For basic programming navigation, selections, having to use that remote too, sucks. I would pay for a "normal" Apple IR remote, just to put it into a drawer after programming the universal one...

Until Siri and / or touch can handle the whole living room experience, which would be awesome, and I truly mean that, I want to use what can do so now.

I type this on a MBP, while I look across the room at the family iMac. Next to me now, my iPhone, and in my EDC bag (man purse), an iPad... I've been a shareholder for years, in various accounts, including a 401K (self-directed), IRA, and even college accounts for out little girls. I'm an Apple guy, quite a fan of the company and its products. On my "Apple List" is / was the new ATV, and, if they ever do it, a new Mac Mini (quad core). I share simply for perspective, that I'm not some anti-Apple person on some perceived petty rant...

Having our home entertainment system completely managed by one remote control is something I value quite a bit. So much so that I find myself contemplating not getting the new ATV, for this reason only.

I wonder if the aftermarket, a company such as Logitech, might have an opportunity here...

·
Premium Member
10,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,584
Having our home entertainment system completely managed by one remote control is something I value quite a bit. So much so that I find myself contemplating not getting the new ATV, for this reason only
At present there's no reason to imagine the IR receiver on the ATV5 is not to control the ATV5. That's been the historical implication. Unfortunately Apple calls the ATV5 remote both the "Siri Remote" and the "Apple TV Remote" which doesn't help.

I'm there will be definitive answer shortly.

·
Premium Member
10,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,585
So wait a second, some of you are saying that it could output 4K with a software upgrade based on its current hardware? Interesting if true.
It has the HDMI bandwidth to transport 4K.
However the same could be said for DD+ and the ATV3. We see how far that went.

If and when Apple does greater than HD I'm sure the cost will be nominal (for a new ATV) or free (they do a software update).

·
Registered
440 Posts
At present there's no reason to imagine the IR receiver on the ATV5 is not to control the ATV5. That's been the historical implication. Unfortunately Apple calls the ATV5 remote both the "Siri Remote" and the "Apple TV Remote" which doesn't help.

I'm there will be definitive answer shortly.
bodosom, are you employed at Apple? Sounds like you might be... Either way, thanks much.

·
Registered
245 Posts
To game on the ATV, sure, no problem there with a specialized Apple controller for that experience. For basic programming navigation, selections, having to use that remote too, sucks. I would pay for a "normal" Apple IR remote, just to put it into a drawer after programming the universal one...

Until Siri and / or touch can handle the whole living room experience, which would be awesome, and I truly mean that, I want to use what can do so now.

Having our home entertainment system completely managed by one remote control is something I value quite a bit. So much so that I find myself contemplating not getting the new ATV, for this reason only.

I wonder if the aftermarket, a company such as Logitech, might have an opportunity here...
Interesting that you're ok with an 'optimized' remote for gaming but not for ATV .. yet you want a single remote that does everything. My own experience is that others in the family really just want a simple way to overcome the complexity of the typical multi-device 'living room experience' to get it 'configured correctly' and after that are ok with using a specialized remote. Using a generalized remote (ie. Logitec or similar) for a specific function (I mostly use the PVR functionality) drives me nuts as I can never find one that has the 3-4 buttons I use 95% of the time, in a configuration that works. In fact I hated the previous PVR remote so much that I bought in to a Roomie setup which uses the concept of virtual remote layouts which you can remap.

BTW, the Roomie has an ATV remote like the free one you can put on your iPhone or iPad and IIRC, they also have a 'swipe left/right' function which might be able to emulate the new remote .. but that's off topic.

The real point I'm trying to make is that each vendor is going to continue to try to innovate and make their remote optimized and to think that you're ever going to get one that does it all is not only unrealistic but also a huge compromise/'worst of all' kind of scenario. And it's only going to get worse when you try to layer on all the home control stuff that's coming out. At least with A/V stuff, you only have to deal with IR, IP, and now BT .. with home control, you can add zwave, zigbee, and others.

·
Registered
245 Posts
So wait a second, some of you are saying that it could output 4K with a software upgrade based on its current hardware? Interesting if true.
I was only saying that the official specs I saw said "HDMI 1.4" and the HDMI 1.4 spec allows for basic UHD capabilities (eg. 2160p at 24fps with 8bit BT709 color) but no HDR, ATMOS, expanded color, etc. I'm not sure what Netflix or Amazon supports for UHD streaming. However, for streaming copyrighted content, the other issue though is HDCP 2.2 support which requires HDMI 2.0. You might argue that the iPhone 6s 4K content wouldn't need HDCP because it's yours so wouldn't be copyrighted. However, if it shoots at more than 24fps, it wouldn't work with HDMI 1.4 anyway and even if you airplay'd it to the ATV you'd still be bound by the HDMI 1.4 standards when displaying on a UHD TV.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Interesting that you're ok with an 'optimized' remote for gaming but not for ATV .. yet you want a single remote that does everything. My own experience is that others in the family really just want a simple way to overcome the complexity of the typical multi-device 'living room experience' to get it 'configured correctly' and after that are ok with using a specialized remote. Using a generalized remote (ie. Logitec or similar) for a specific function (I mostly use the PVR functionality) drives me nuts as I can never find one that has the 3-4 buttons I use 95% of the time, in a configuration that works. In fact I hated the previous PVR remote so much that I bought in to a Roomie setup which uses the concept of virtual remote layouts which you can remap.

BTW, the Roomie has an ATV remote like the free one you can put on your iPhone or iPad and IIRC, they also have a 'swipe left/right' function which might be able to emulate the new remote .. but that's off topic.

The real point I'm trying to make is that each vendor is going to continue to try to innovate and make their remote optimized and to think that you're ever going to get one that does it all is not only unrealistic but also a huge compromise/'worst of all' kind of scenario. And it's only going to get worse when you try to layer on all the home control stuff that's coming out. At least with A/V stuff, you only have to deal with IR, IP, and now BT .. with home control, you can add zwave, zigbee, and others.
Ian thanks for chiming-in; and I really appreciate your input. I'm going to read-up on the Roomie, as that sounds interesting...

Let me expound a bit more on what I find to be problematic...

First, for gaming, and I'm no gamer (all PS3 games are "Move" and for the kids), I expect the likes of Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony, etc to have specialized controllers for their units, and for users to use them in order play games on those systems. Similarly, I feel the same way with Apple TV's venture into gaming - that I'd expect to use an Apple controller to play games on the Apple device. If we got Apple TV, and we wanted play games on it, it makes perfect sense to me to use such... Gaming controllers made for the specific purpose of playing games, being optimised for such, makes plenty of sense. I have zero issues using a single remote to select the ATV device, desired inputs, settings, navigate to games, scroll through / locate, and select one to play... Once that is complete, and one is in that selected game, using a specialized controller for that gaming experience makes a ton of sense. The one remote control's work was to get everything set-up as desired, and once that is done, that single remote can be put down, and the game can commence with specialized equipment for that unique purpose, such as the PS3 eye and its motion wands...

ATV is first and foremost a streaming box, and I'd guess that will remain its most popular use - to watch programs, movies, sports, etc... streamed onto the big screen, involving multiple other pieces of AV equipment in the process. I think all would agree that no one wants to use 5+ remote controls to accomplish such tasks. I think it was my pop who at one time, many years back, had a board with many remotes fastened to it that he kept by his chair. I of course got him a universal, learning remote shortly after those became popular...

Again, Siri and touch, huge fan, and in an ideal world, I wish either or both could handle all such tasks. I imagine someday that will be the case... As it stands now though, the incorporation of Siri and touch for one device only, mandates the use of another remote control, even for the most basic of requests and navigation. If anyone can appreciate the beauty of simplicity and convenience, it's Apple. This new ATV, within itself, does just that, I feel. But, when shuffled-into the living room dynamic, it does the opposite, complicates...

·
Registered
2 Posts
There's a lot of cross-compatibility in the Apple world. The ATV2 remote can also control iMacs and MBP's that have IR receivers, etc. I would be pretty surprised if the new ATV didn't also accept IR signals from the small aluminum remote from previous ATVs. Assuming it does, it can also be controlled by universal remotes. It's Apple, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that they'll just wipe out all backward compatibility and only accept input from the new touch remote (they love to say "that's not the best way to do things, so we won't bother letting you do it"), but in this case I'm assuming it will also respond to regular signals as well.

I'm planning on picking up the new ATV (the timing is good -- we just put a TV in our bedroom for the first time, so I'll be moving the ATV3 from the home theater to the bedroom, and picking up an ATV4 for the home theater). I use a Harmony Ultimate to control the home theatre, and I too would rather not have to switch to a dedicated remote if I don't need to. But I do plan to keep the new ATV remote out on the coffee table as well, so if I DO want to do a voice search or whatever, I can grab it, but for general navigation, I (hopefully) won't need to.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just found out from the Tablo blog that they will be working on an app for the APT app store, this will allow a native Tablo app to access their OTA DVR and allow Siri search, pause, skip, etc integration.

·
Registered
9,847 Posts
That completely misses the point. It's full-on Siri with content related enhancements.

The "What did she say?" function is priceless. And while skipping forward seven minutes or asking about the weather in Juneau is a bit silly (especially if you live in Juneau) it's more than just content searching or redundant remote functions.
I think I did make my point and to each his own....

·
Registered
440 Posts
There's a lot of cross-compatibility in the Apple world. The ATV2 remote can also control iMacs and MBP's that have IR receivers, etc. I would be pretty surprised if the new ATV didn't also accept IR signals from the small aluminum remote from previous ATVs. Assuming it does, it can also be controlled by universal remotes. It's Apple, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that they'll just wipe out all backward compatibility and only accept input from the new touch remote (they love to say "that's not the best way to do things, so we won't bother letting you do it"), but in this case I'm assuming it will also respond to regular signals as well.

I'm planning on picking up the new ATV (the timing is good -- we just put a TV in our bedroom for the first time, so I'll be moving the ATV3 from the home theater to the bedroom, and picking up an ATV4 for the home theater). I use a Harmony Ultimate to control the home theatre, and I too would rather not have to switch to a dedicated remote if I don't need to. But I do plan to keep the new ATV remote out on the coffee table as well, so if I DO want to do a voice search or whatever, I can grab it, but for general navigation, I (hopefully) won't need to.
TheCowgod, I had been wondering just that, so thank you for sharing your experiences or thoughts. Hopefully we can learn of this cross-compatibility before release... Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
10,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,594
I think I did make my point and to each his own....
I quoted your short message in it's entirety "... because I always know what I'm going to watch ahead of time and would never use this search feature" to be clear that you were missing the point of the Siri Remote. Searching across content sources with or without voice is not novel. Installing Siri in the ATV or any other non-mobile device is novel. Siri, as awkward as it is, is much more than "this search feature".

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I suspect Apple doesn't see it that way. As a possibly completely bogus analogy look how many complaints are directed at Apple when there are Netflix problems.
That is a fair enough assumption that apple does not want negative feedback from something out of its control.

All of us? While I don't see any personal utility I think connecting, albeit weakly, to the App Store, sets it well apart. A complete Siri implementation is also a bit of a differentiating factor. And of course only the ATV is directly connected to the iTunes store. The "a bit more" sounds like code for "something I want".
Should have sad some of us not everyone. But lets take app store. There has been countless android stick for the past 2 years that had full google play store on it which sounds awesome but when it comes down to it. A lot of apps/games are just not made to be used at a 10' distance. Now apple might try to make specific apps for the 10' viewing market which could change some things but from my personal experience with apps on the play store the wow factor is shortly lived as sitting on your couch trying to navigate something made for a finger touch with a remote is not a good experience.

Siri implementation also as I said earlier could be good would have to see the implementation. If voice search lets you search through countless distribution types. IE search avengers and it shows me whats available through netflix/itunes/vudu and all other apps.

I've enumerated a number of "features" of the ATV in recent posts (none of which are providers like HBO). Which other device has all or most of them?
The features all are out there just not mainstream. The android sticks have been around for a couple years the UI on them is not real polished which is one of the biggest downfalls for them. But they have everything the Apple tv does or equivalent with the exception of siri voice. Google play/Video is the same as apple store/itunes video. Yes content is different but its the easiest comparison.

You have the roku that has everything including a voice search but no Itunes/app store and not a full siri but still not sure on the capabilities of what siri can bring to the 10' market. Will not say much on it till I can see some ideas on how it can be used and usefulness.

In my opinion the options already out on the market offer pretty much the same stuff if you are not already tied into itunes purchases. But we each have our own needs.

·
Premium Member
10,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,596 (Edited)
A lot of apps/games are just not made to be used at a 10' distance. Now apple might try to make specific apps for the 10' viewing market which could change some things but from my personal experience with apps on the play store the wow factor is shortly lived as sitting on your couch trying to navigate something made for a finger touch with a remote is not a good experience.
I suggest everyone watch the Apple event video and and look at the plethora of pages Apple has put about the ATV5.
I suspect that people don't realize there's both a set of ATV specific APIs as well as the generic game APIs. Semi-serious games for the Apple TV are likely to be optimized for MFI game controllers (which do seem expensive compared to the cost of the ATV5) not the Siri Remote or touch. I expect that Apple is counting on new and revised games that will take advantage of the platform like those in the demo. BTW, if you already have a wired controller apparently your iPhone/iPad can act as a BT gateway to the ATV5.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not sure what thread to post this in, so I'll try here first. I just bought a Gen 3 Apple TV (at the Apple store). I want to use it on a Vizio M3D460SR. When I connect it the screen first displays "Retrieving data", which is normal. Then is displays "Not Support" [sic]. I tried all four HDMI inputs, four different cables. All the inputs and cables work on other devices (laptop HDMI output, DVD player, DishTV box). I tried the Apple TV on my LG computer monitor and it works there. I've talked to tech support at Vizio - no help, suggest calling Apple (hah!). Apple said (ready for this), bring the TV to the Genius bar.

I went through the setup using the LG monitor, then tried the TV again - no change.

Any ideas?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,598
Apple said (ready for this), bring the TV to the Genius bar.
If you don't bring the television they'll plug your ATV into a display and it will work and they'll say "It's working."
It sounds like a Vizio problem so I'd suggest a Vizio thread. The first gen ATV had extremely brittle HDMI but I've not found that to be the case with the current model.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you don't bring the television they'll plug your ATV into a display and it will work and they'll say "It's working."
It sounds like a Vizio problem so I'd suggest a Vizio thread. The first gen ATV had extremely brittle HDMI but I've not found that to be the case with the current model.
I realize that's what they'd do, but do they really expect people to drag in a large flat screen. My set is "only" 46", way too big to carry in. Imagine if it was a 70".
And the punchline at the Apple Store is going to be "it's a Vizio problem."
Thanks - I'll try a Vizio thread.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
http://variety.com/2015/digital/news/apple-tv-fast-fun-limited-1201589244/
http://bgr.com/2015/09/11/apple-tv-siri-features-itunes-hbo-netflix/
Finally somewhere who actually played around it and not just doing voice searches will iTunes PPV so it looks like those apps, HBO, Netflix, Hulu will most likely have the crappy HTML5 universal UI like every other device. Only iTunes PPV stuff starts up recently and lets you do voice and skip functions. The other third party apps that use universal UI's will perform the same. If this is true I will stick with my Fire TV which already starts Amazon Instant content right away but the other apps are all have universal UI's so they all look and perform the same on the PS3, PS4, Roku 3, Nexus Player, Nvidia Shield Player etc.

3581 - 3600 of 30753 Posts