AVS Forum banner
19861 - 19880 of 36558 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Apple TV owners' thread.

Unfortunately I require ARC from the LG OLED to the Denon to get audio from the internal apps at the highest possible quality (with Atmos). This requires some level of CEC. I have it turned off everywhere else and use the minimal level thatI have settings for to get what I need. Now that I got the ATV4K to shut up.... all is good! :)

I also have an LG and a Denon and the issue is actually the LG which will switch to either, and randomly, the ATV or my Blu-ray player when it is powered on by another CEC device while the LG scanning the hdmi chain for CEC devices!

Assuming everything goes thru the Denon to the LG you can limit the CEC can communication between the LG and the Denon to just the audio subset of CEC that will allow ARC and volume control between the two devices.

I also turn off CEC on the ATV and other devices and use a Harmony Companion remote/hub.

My device are LGC7, Denon x4300h, and ATV4k. (With a Samsung BR and DirectTV HR24) everything connected to the Denon.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I use a 65B7 and a 6400H. I do exactly what you are doing for ARC. I also have the OPPO 203, a CM Stream+ a DIrecTV DVR and the ATV4k plugged in with HDMI. There were no issues until I plugged in the ATV4k. When would remove it, no issues. So I got the CEC disconnector and now have no problems. The common denominator is the ATV4K. Turning OFF CEC on the ATV4k made no difference.
I truly believe that I could find 50 instances of the same kind of thing occurring when people connected their ATV4k in a google search in under 15 minutes. They all reported fixing the problem by physically isolating CEC on the ATV4k (or taking it out of the system). Now it is not important to me who or what is to blame. I just know how to fix it and the fix points to the source being the Apple device.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Just noticed something odd with Vudu in my setup. Its not showing titles as having Atmos with the logo, but when I go to play them they are in Atmos. It was panic stations here for a while as my Sony X700's Vudu app was showing HDR/Atmos for DV/Atmos movies and the ATV4K Vudu app was just showing DV with no Atmos. My X700 has always had dolby vision setting toggled off in the Sony's setup, but before it completely ignored this setting and went ahead and played Dolby Vision and showed it as available in Vudu. It appears Vudu has taken on some quality programmers bent on sabotaging their product.:rolleyes:

Back to the original ATV4K question, is anyone having trouble seeing the Atmos logo in Vudu right now? (it still plays Atmos luckily)

·
Registered
18,158 Posts
You can't disable CEC via a user interface, you have to remove the CEC conductor. All you can do via the UI is disable some actions on some components. E.g. if the HDMI transceiver is powered and connected it will respond to enumeration requests and may make them. So even if you disable the active options on the ATV4K it will still use action-free enumeration to determine controllable devices including IR to program the Siri remote. Enumeration requests and responses are "broadcast" so all components on the CEC bus see them.
Interesting. Thanks for the info. In the past when I had input switching issues, I just disabled, turned off, or whatever the correct term is in UI and the issues went away, and I just used a Harmony remote to take over the CEC functions (automatic input switching, volume, other functions of the device's remote, etc). Is the enumeration actions (Siri as an example) a CEC protocol specific for the ATV?

Maybe I got lucky with my ATV's because they have always behaved as I wanted them to when it came to CEC.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Actually I kind of disagree. Firmware/Software can almost always ignore/evaluate signals to determine behavior. Plus, there was a similar behavior on the ROKU a while back and after working with ROKU engineers they fixed the problem and it was incorporated into one of their 8.X releases.
Common CEC incompatibility issue. There really isn't a fix other than disabling CEC on all devices and using a programmable remote like a Harmony to control your HTS.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Ya, I've got multiple CEC capable devices connected to my receiver and the ATV4K is the only one that causes the problem.
As I said in my previous post, the ROKU had some quirks at first but the ROKU team was very responsive, worked with my setup, and released a firmware fix for it (less than 60 day to fix). Apple doesn't even respond.....
Anyone can say what they care to on this. My direct experience was that my AT4K would randomly switches inputs to the one it is on. Turning off CEC on it made no difference. I got an adapter that disconnects the CEC pins. Problem resolved. Incompatibility or a device fault? The same story is related in forums all over the Internet.

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
I’m sorry if this question has been asked and answered previously but does the enhanced video player in the new Plex app pass-through lossless audio like Infuse has been doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I’m sorry if this question has been asked and answered previously but does the enhanced video player in the new Plex app pass-through lossless audio like Infuse has been doing?

Infuse doesn't exactly passthrough HD audio. It will convert TrueHD and DTS-MA to PCM, so it should still be lossless. From my testing the new Plex player on the ATV4K does not do this. It's still transcoding to AC3.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts

No, it’s just a video algorithm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
🚨Question:🚨
On-board test patterns?

Hey, gang. I’m currently in an assisted-living facility (where I’ll be for at least a couple more months). I was recently moved to a different room, where the small crappy TV is being replaced with a larger, and brand-new, one.
Everything I watch on the room TV is via an AppleTV (4th gen). My question is this: How useful are the test patterns included on the AppleTV for calibrating the set? And, if I wanted to properly adjust the color and tint levels on the TV, what blue filter what I need to get (my copy of the Digital Video Essentials Blu-Ray is currently packed away at my house)?

Thanks in advance, and apologies if this has been asked before; for some reason, the search function is wonky on the mobile site.

·
Registered
9,729 Posts
🚨Question:🚨
On-board test patterns?

Hey, gang. I’m currently in an assisted-living facility (where I’ll be for at least a couple more months). I was recently moved to a different room, where the small crappy TV is being replaced with a larger, and brand-new, one.
Everything I watch on the room TV is via an AppleTV (4th gen). My question is this: How useful are the test patterns included on the AppleTV for calibrating the set? And, if I wanted to properly adjust the color and tint levels on the TV, what blue filter what I need to get (my copy of the Digital Video Essentials Blu-Ray is currently packed away at my house)?

Thanks in advance, and apologies if this has been asked before; for some reason, the search function is wonky on the mobile site.
They are useful for setting overscan (if it's possible to adjust) and brightness. I would be surprised if any display that's recent was in need of Color and Tint ... that's what the blue filter would be for but most recent displays have this right at defaults.

In my opinion brightness (black level) is the single most important adjustment and the test pattern works for that.

·
Registered
434 Posts
What I don't like about it...no Kodi, the remote, and the fact that it would frequently lose connection with my wifi and not be able to find it. I never was able to figure out the problem, I eventually put a powerline AC lan connection in my basement to hardwire it.
Your correct about no Kodi, but MrMC, a fork of Kodi, is available in the App Store. Runs great on the AppleTV. Plays any of my HDR10 and Dolby Vision videos.

It also has built in Plex and Emmy clients and supports Trakt.tv.
It does NOT support Kodi Add-ons by design.

Highly recommend if you have a network video library.

·
Premium Member
10,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19,874 ·
On-board test patterns?
The ATV test pattern is not a standard SMPTE color bar image so it's not quite as easy to use to adjust color/tint and white/black levels as it could be. I assume you're not having the display calibrated in which case the best option is to select the most accurate pre-set mode in the display. Adjusting color/tint black/white using typical color/tint brightness/contrast controls is probably not worth the time you would spend assuming your display needs those adjustments.

If you think color/tint are off watch some content and use skin tones to make corrections.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Your correct about no Kodi, but MrMC, a fork of Kodi, is available in the App Store. Runs great on the AppleTV. Plays any of my HDR10 and Dolby Vision videos.

It also has built in Plex and Emmy clients and supports Trakt.tv.

It does NOT support Kodi Add-ons by design.

Highly recommend if you have a network video library.

Also recommended, if you are locally streaming content, is Infuse.
The combination of Plex Media Server and Infuse is a beautiful thing on the ATV.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
That's like saying IR remotes are the problem. Actually the vendor implementation of CEC causes the problem. With all its faults it's still better than a table full of remotes and infinitely better than overpriced universal remotes.

Apple could resolve this just like ROKU did but when have you ever known Apple to admit they have a bug in a shared ecosystem?????

CEC causes the problem.

·
Premium Member
10,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19,877 ·
Apple could resolve this just like ROKU did but when have you ever known Apple to admit they have a bug in a shared ecosystem?????
Get back to us after you've spent some time with a CEC sniffer in your system, the Pulse-Eight adapter is quite inexpensive (ASIN B005JU6LWM). Or you can continue to believe that (nearly) everyone else is wrong and you're right.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Who is "us" or "(nearly) everyone else"? I only see you saying CEC is the industry evil. Just because there are bugs and/or bad implementations doesn't mean CEC is bad. You also made another generalized statement, "You can't disable CEC via a user interface". Well if you can't disable it you're saying the only way to not have problems is to buy these "adapters" to disable the physical bus. Of course you can disable CEC via a use interface. You just have to build the capability into the devices. That's what ROKU did after I raised the issues with them.

I know infinitely more people that successfully operate their setups with CEC instead of expensive universal remotes.

I've designed and built communications protocols for almost 40 years. If there are specific problems why not enumerate them and work to fix them?

Screaming fire because someone lit a match never helps. I get it, you don't like CEC but it does what many need it to do in basic setups.
Telling people to buy expensive universal remotes when they may not need one is not help.

If you have access to a sniffer why not tell us EXACTLY what the ATV is doing in this situation instead of the over generalized statement that "CEC is the problem"??

Sorry you can't have a civil discussion without accepting other opinions and/or providing a balanced evaluation of something you don't like.

Why do you hate CEC so much?
Get back to us after you've spent some time with a CEC sniffer in your system, the Pulse-Eight adapter is quite inexpensive (ASIN B005JU6LWM). Or you can continue to believe that (nearly) everyone else is wrong and you're right.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I think it's fair to say most AV enthusiasts (so most of AV Forums!) hate CEC. It is a nightmare in any semi-complex environment - multiple sources and/or an AVR. Almost every thread on any AVR and or most devices has an FAQ somewhere saying "disable CEC" :D

CEC but it does what many need it to do in basic setups.
This is key! Yes, you are probably right. For most people with one STB, or even a STB and a DVD/Blu-ray Player (i.e. for most people!) it probably works fine. But for most here, not so much!

Not a lot of point in fighting to change current CEC implementations now, I'd say (other than have a proper option to disable it). HDMI 2.1 is supposed to improve things. We will see!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
And that's why it's important to ask about desired functionality and environment! I think you'll find that over the years this and other forums have become home to far more people than hard core enthusiasts with very complex setups.

Pegging the meter is never the right answer! I'll also bet dollars to donuts that ATV has the same/similar CEC bug (maybe same or cousin hardware/software) that ROKU fixed, if only Apple would care! Saw this numerous times over the years when differing Telcos would plug in hardware and we'd start seeing link issues that made you think "I've seen that before" and sure enough we'd find a relative of a previous issue (either SDK and/or hardware) that was easily identified and fixed :)

And how many of these FAQs have been revisited as CEC has improved over the years? Enthusiasts should be curious IMO :)

CEC is significantly better and more reliable now than it was even 2 short years ago and improves with every product release cycle. Again, I attribute this to the limited sources of hardware/software baselines meaning bugs and fixes get wide distribution in cycles.

I think it's fair to say most AV enthusiasts (so most of AV Forums!) hate CEC. It is a nightmare in any semi-complex environment - multiple sources and/or an AVR. Almost every thread on any AVR and or most devices has an FAQ somewhere saying "disable CEC" :D

This is key! Yes, you are probably right. For most people with one STB, or even a STB and a DVD/Blu-ray Player (i.e. for most people!) it probably works fine. But for most here, not so much!

Not a lot of point in fighting to change current CEC implementations now, I'd say (other than have a proper option to disable it). HDMI 2.1 is supposed to improve things. We will see!

19861 - 19880 of 36558 Posts